Esteemed Contributor

I'm not talking about going gray naturally, I'm talking about people dying their hair gray.

I don't get it.

But, as long as they're happy with it, who am I to judge?

Your thoughts?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

I earned my gray hair. It is such a relief to not dye your hair constantly. I have a chin length bob. I just wash, condition, blow dry and do a little touching up with a curling iron. I get many compliments on my natural gray hair. I am lucky it is thick and a nice color.

Honored Contributor

I have salt & pepper hair which I also earned.  So glad I no longer have to color my hair.  My hair is healthy and shiny.  For me it is NOT a trend but women that are coloring their hair gray are trying something new.  Some gray hair is very pretty. 

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Gray and silver are neutral colors for hair that are natural for young and older people.  Many young people have these colors naturally.  Those who have red, blonde, brunette and black hair might want a change.

We think nothing of people going from brown to blonde for vise versa.  Why would it be different to choose to go gray instead of blonde?

A lot of Ladies from previous generations associate gray, white and silver with age.  Younger people today do not think the same way.  It's just another color to them.

My own hair is salt and pepper..many shades of silver and black.  I volunteer at an elementary school.  The kids often ask me my age, and I tell them.  Often they say, you are older than my grandma, but you look younger.

I ask if "grandma" has silver hair like mine, and most of the time they say no.  Children do not associate gray hair with age any more. 

I asked my 10 year old grandson and the kids at school  if people looked younger if they colored their gray hair.  They said no, they just look like old people who color their hair.  You can't fool children and they are honest.

When I worked as a hair stylist, I colored the gray hair of many 20 year old " kids."  You would be surprised how early some people begin getting gray hair.  Often it starts in high school.

Things that ages someone to me are deep wrinkles, yellow or missing teeth, bad posture, clothing that looks like it belongs on a teenager and clothing that looks dark, drab and depressive and a closed mind to learning new things.

I see people of all ages with purple, blue, green, pink and rainbow hair.  They are having fun with color. I don't think it is odd at all. It's not any crazier than wearing different colors of nail polish.

I like the fact that we can be individuals and wear a hair color that we choose and change it as often as we like.

Esteemed Contributor

Well said, @Carmie  

My mom began going salt & pepper while in college (from what she told me). I never knew her not to have her hair dyed until her late 60's. When her beautician began to let her natural hair show, it was gorgeous pearl white! We were so anxious for mom to let her entire head become a pouf of cotton white, but my step-dad (yes, men and their egos) resisted about 6-12 months. Mom was an independent women and decided she was paying the bills for her hair and it was her hair . . . not his! She and her beautican continued with their plans to let it slowly whiten. What a stunning transformation. My step-father loved it when she was completely white and her make-up was changed! 

Me? I'm 71 and my hair is just now turning salt and pepper in back. Have had streaks of grey (didn't get that gorgeous pearl white) coming in front for at least 10 years, which is very attractive. I've never dyed my hair. Completely happy with the color it has always been.

My DIL has dyed her hair as long as I've known her. It adds highlights, which her own hair doesn't have. She also says it provides body. IDK.

My grandson is a drummer and guitarist. Musicians love to have their hair dyed different colors. As long as his grades remain A's, his parents are fine with his hair. In fact, my DIL does the dying of his hair! 

If your hair is kept clean and cut regularly, who cares if it is dyed? A good dye is very attractive on any young and old. Not too fond of obvious dyed hair on seniors.

My MIL dyed her hair red, at home, until she passed away in her 80's. Who did she think she was kidding? It was plain ugly. Same color she had used when I met her in the mid-1960's! It was a head-shaker then. Smiley Wink

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Re: Gray Hair Trend

[ Edited ]

I think the question isn't about how gray hair makes or doesn't make one look old but "what do you think of the trend of people dying their hair gray"?

I think the OP might be referring to the many young people who don't have gray hair yet but who are coloring their hair gray as a choice when their natural color isn't gray.  I think it's unusual since I've never seen it as a color choice for the young before.  However tattoos & piercings are much more common in recent years for the young compared to when I was in my 20s.

I also don't get it but then there are the trends that many young people do today that I don't get either....like young women getting full tattoo sleeves on their arms...it's so permanent!  One can always change their hair color back.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 -

I haven't noticed that but my grandmother had beautiful white hair that turned white when she was 30!

I loved it and wanted mine to look like hers so my college dorm mate helped me dye my hair to look like hers. Well, it was supposed to be all white but turned bright orange! I wore a scarf on my head until it grew out.Woman LOL

Now, I have had silvery white for a long time.

I do see some people young and old with pink,green or purple hair, mostly streaks.

I think its interesting and many times very pretty and different.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I think the question isn't about how gray hair makes or doesn't make one look old but "what do you think of the trend of people dying their hair gray"?

I think the OP might be referring to the many young people who don't have gray hair yet but who are coloring their hair gray as a choice when their natural color isn't gray.  I think it's unusual since I've never seen it as a color choice for the young before.  However tattoos & piercings are much more common in recent years for the young compared to when I was in my 20s.

I also don't get it but then there are the trends that many young people do today that I don't get either....like young women getting full tattoo sleeves on their arms...it's so permanent!  One can always change their hair color back.

@haddon9 

Yes, this is exactly what I ment.

I thought I had said when people DYE their hair gray, meaning, their natural color is something else (red, blonde, black, brown, etc), but they choose to color  it gray.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Super Contributor

People are free to color their hair in whichever color they want. Be it gray, burgundy, blonde, purple or any other. As long as they are happy, I am not bothered.

Honored Contributor

what does earning grey hair mean?

that one has lived long enough?  

it's all genetics,  my sister who is 5 years younger than me has very little grey,  mine is an ugly grey and all of it.  if you don't dye it that's cool and if you do it's

cool too.