Super Contributor

Got to handle my ROOTS, ugh! Advise please.

[ Edited ]

I used to color my hair with semi permanent color all over years ago. I now have a considerable bit more gray. I have been getting roots touched up with permanent color every 5 weeks, face framing highlights every third or fourth appointment at salon. My base is level 5 fairly neutral but highlights are golden toned. Trying to decide if I should get level 5 medium brown, neutral for roots or try an all over color. I really don't have many highlights visible anyway as I was due for them right when the salons closed, so all over color might be easier. I also have had a bad experience with "hot roots" when I tried my own once, kings orange tint, want to avoid that. Should I go with level 4 for the roots and they can be darker, would that help me avoid the dreaded "hot roots" again? Thoughts? Advise? Boy oh boy, do I miss my hairstylist!

Super Contributor

Re: Got to handle my ROOTS, ugh! Advise please.

Can you call your your stylist? Explain your situation to her and ask her to sell you a couple applications worth of color & developer. She would probably be very willing to help you, and it would certainly save her the challenge fixing a mistake you might make.

i did have a bad episode with hot roots once when I used a Demi or semi permanent color, but not since I started using permant color.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Well according to all the wigs QVC sells (both companys) it's in style to have dark roots.

Over and over I've tried to buy QVC wigs and both companies that comes on their show all have black roots.

I asked Toni Brattin's company why QVC has black roots on her wigs she sells there and the company rep said "that's the way QVC wants them."

I buy my wigs directly from the company.  I'm just saying I think you are right in style.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

To let you know the higher the level, the lighter your hair is lifted  to deposit color.  I have the same problem, some of my roots are white,  I do very red hair 5RR wit a mahogany cast inside, fire red outside. Most hair color is 2O mins lifting with 25 depositing color  tou would want to leave tint on roots maybe 30 mins before doing ends 

there are a few things I would suggest  yes, you can do roots darker, but first concidered this.  If the gray is fairly new, (how far does it go out.  Hair grows about 1/2 per month) you may want to go semi permanent or a color deposit hair color.  I actually use a Demi color every few weeks.  Permanent color every couple months.  I do it myself.  I have a license so I get the good stuff.  But.I do prefer drugstore permanent color.

if I knew what color or product she uses it would be easier to suggest.  My daughters hairdresser has been sending them weekly updates, including videos how to cut bangs ..lol

i have been using rootflauge on my outgrowth and LOreal spray root color.  They both work well, although I prefer LOreal for less mess.  Remember I a red, and the red powder in rootflauge is a little risky...but if I take time, tha stuff looks good.  I haven't colored my hair since January  I am 72, very  curly hair.  Gray at the roots to about 4 inches. And very fragile lately, and thinning so bad.  I have been using Rogaine 2 x d now that I have nothing to do, and wow it helps.  My hair should be in good condition by the time I tint it

Honored Contributor

@Summer Shine  You have to careful going darker because it might not look good on you.  I say use the all over color but do the roots first and the last 3 or 5 minutes do the rest then rinse out.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

Well I bought my product, was trying to decide on brown 5 or dark brown 4, my color from salon is 5. I had  pthe lighter rootsslightly red one time so was thinking I should maybe go darker, well no choice at WM, no level 5 so level 4 it is. Washed out all the hair products and spray on root touch up tonight plan to dye my hair in 24-48 hours. Yikes! I have at least an inch of graying roots showing. I just never have this much root to cover. I'm going to try to do it like my stylist does, roots, along the edge of hair line and the last 5 min pull the color through in stands towards ends, trying to avoid the few highlights I still have. This is a permanent color because the grays are resistant to color. Wish me luck, I'll be sure tp update with the results. I just know as soon as I go through with this the salons will open immediately. 

Honored Contributor

Embrace your roots! We're all in the same boat. 

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Embrace your roots! We're all in the same boat. 

Agreed! I have 2 boxes of color but until I have somewhere to go I am not going to color my hair. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Summer Shine wrote:

Well I bought my product, was trying to decide on brown 5 or dark brown 4, my color from salon is 5. I had  pthe lighter rootsslightly red one time so was thinking I should maybe go darker, well no choice at WM, no level 5 so level 4 it is. Washed out all the hair products and spray on root touch up tonight plan to dye my hair in 24-48 hours. Yikes! I have at least an inch of graying roots showing. I just never have this much root to cover. I'm going to try to do it like my stylist does, roots, along the edge of hair line and the last 5 min pull the color through in stands towards ends, trying to avoid the few highlights I still have. This is a permanent color because the grays are resistant to color. Wish me luck, I'll be sure tp update with the results. I just know as soon as I go through with this the salons will open immediately. 

I would suggest doing a small test area before doing your entire head.  They give you the measurements inside the box for the allergy testing.  But I do it right on my scalp a small area to see how it comes out.  IF it looks good....then you will feel much more relaxed about doing your entire head.  IF it is way to dark you'll be so GLAD you did a small test area to see.  

This is what I did 4 weeks ago as it was my 1st ever doing it myself and like you I had to guess at which brand and level would work for me.  HTH

Edit to add:  I have level 5 hair color also so I do understand about getting "orange" hair!  Nothing worse then bozo hair.  It is also curly with a good amount of gray to cover.  I once had a salon owner try to cover her mistake on my hair (turned the highlights orange) she made it so dark....truly horrible!  I ended up using a product called color oops at home and removed it....did that 2 times to lighten it.  Then it could be corrected.  That was yrs ago.  So this is why I suggest a patch area test at the scalp to see how it turns out.  Just wanted to explain my reasoning better is all.