Valued Contributor

Re: Got Curly or Wavy Hair? Ever tried the DEVA CUT?

I just came back from my latest curly girl haircut.  My stylist was trained in the deva curl methodI and I found her through the naturallycurly.com website.  The first time I went to her was approximately 4 1/2 months ago and it was the best "curly" cut I had ever had.  The cut today looks equally good or better.  I wish you good luck with your new cut.  

Esteemed Contributor

I read the thread incorrectly. I was thinking of a product that start with the word Deva. This is actually a cut. I like what I see. 

Respected Contributor

@jazzbabe wrote:

I just came back from my latest curly girl haircut.  My stylist was trained in the deva curl methodI and I found her through the naturallycurly.com website.  The first time I went to her was approximately 4 1/2 months ago and it was the best "curly" cut I had ever had.  The cut today looks equally good or better.  I wish you good luck with your new cut.  

Thanks, jazzbabe! That's encouraging.

I just finished throwing out all shampoo, having read the chapter on cleansing without detergents and sulfates. Sephora is nearby, so tomorrow I'll get a DEVAcurl set of no-poo and conditioner to start getting my hair in shape!

Respected Contributor

Re: Frizz prevention products

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@dex wrote:
I have never tried it but the frizzy blonde hair closely resembles mine.We don't have anyone in our area that does this cutting but maybe if someone could recommend products to help with the frizzies I would appreciate it.

I have trouble with frizz, too. I found that moving away from shampoo, as recommended in the Curly Girl book, made a difference. I use a cotton t-shirt to blot my hair dry out of the shower instead of a terrycloth towel. The loops on terry towels will grab at the hair cuticle and start causing frizz even before you get out of the shower.

Here are some of my favorite products to prevent frizz:

Curl Keeper, by Curly Hair Solutions. I love this stuff. I can use this alone most days or add some gel over it on very humid days. I've used this at an outdoor festival where I was in 93% humidity in the morning and I had a great hair day. It's also light enough that I can use it on second-day hair. It's from Canada and I can't find it locally, but you can get it on Amazon.

Climate Control Gel or Curl Quencher Gel by Ouidad. Great gels to scrunch over Curl Keeper. Ulta and some Sephora stores carry Ouidad products.

And these products are all by Shea Moisture from their Coconut & Hibiscus line for curly hair: You can find many or all of them at Walgreens, CVS, Ulta, and Target.

Curl Enhancing Smoothie - a cream styling product that locks in moisture. A little goes a long way. I can use this alone or with some gel over the top on very humid days.

Curling Gel Souffle - a gel that works well over the Curl Enhancing Smoothie, over Curl Keeper, or on its own.

Curl & Style Milk - A lighter cream product that I love to use on second-day hair.

Thanks so much @ChynnaBlue!

How MUCH Curl Keeper do you use (and how long is your hair)?

Honored Contributor

Thank you Chinablue for your help.I am having a lot of problems getting used to the new format do it takes me awhile to find things.i have taken a pic of your suggestions and will give all a try.
Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:
I have never tried it but the frizzy blonde hair closely resembles mine.We don't have anyone in our area that does this cutting but maybe if someone could recommend products to help with the frizzies I would appreciate it.

Hi Whatnow.   We are all so different, so what works for me might not work for you.  I have fine, think, curly, crazy, frizzy hair.  I don't care for the curly look on me.... so while I sometime let it start to dry naturally, I almost always chicken out and blow it out! 

That said, I need products that help me make the most of my hair, keep it from frizzing, and help to hold some style over two or three days.  I've found some that work.  First, if you're using anything with sulfates, stop!  They will just dry it out and make it look worse.  I've tried and used MANY products.  WEN didn't work for me.  I'm one who suffered from hair loss with it.  I do like the Living Proof products, and used them for quite a while.  They all work nicely for me.  I've tried other things in between, but I really like what I've been using most recently.... Alterna Bamboo Smooth shampoo and conditioner for cleansing, along their Caviar Seasilk Oil Gel, mixed with with either some DevaCurl Set it Free OR TIgi Bed Head Small Talk.  I've always HATED hair spray, but do like Tigi's Masterpiece, and use it occasionally.  

I wrap my hair in a microfiber towel when I get out of the shower, and never rub it to dry it off.  I use boar hair with some nylon bristle brushes along with a low heat, high speed setting for the blow dry.  I live in a very humid area, so when I'm out walking first thing in the morning, I clip my chin-length hair back .... bangs, sides, and top --- to keep it from curling and frizzing.  When I need touch ups, I use my Instyler on a lower heat setting.... 280 degrees.  It's a miracle appliance for me!

Experiment to find what works for you.  Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor
...I use no heat on my hair. I either plop or rake and shake. Those are two methods help keep curl definition. If you want to know about them, let me know....

Hi SuzyQ...I'd be interested to know what you mean by these methods!  TIA.

Hi 1Prof...thank you and all others who have given me suggestions throughout the last few (lurking) years on how to manage my curly hair!

Once I stopped coloring and decided to let it grow long (one last time lol), my naturally curly hair became even more unmanageable.  But, I was determined to stop fighting with it.  Mine looks most like the top before/after pic...mine is a few inches shorter all 'round and much shorter on the sides.  These are the things I learned here that have helped tremendously...

I now trim my hair dry (in between 1/4ly salon visits...hair dresser cuts it dry also, but she is not devo trained).

I pat dry with old t-shirt.

Threw away all brushes and bought several large pics.

Air dry only (don't touch it after a quick pic thru).

A tiny, tiny amount of Curls Rock on top while wet.

When dry, an even tinier amt of olive oil rubbed in hands and then scrunch and smooth.

Very low heat setting on curling iron for a few quick touch-ups here and there.

[ETA]  And do not even get near my hair with a texturizing scissor or technique!!

Voila!  My hair looks fabulous (darlings)!!  And longer and healthier than it's been in years.

Thanks again...curls rock!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Super Contributor

I have been using the Deva Curl products for 5+ years. I have had a cut at their SoHo Salon in NYC. I learned all my washing/drying/styling from the book referenced in the first post. Going to the salon and watching the stylist/asking questions was a huge help for me. It was an expensive cut but well worth the money.  I regularly have my haircut by another "curly girl" stylist but she has not been trained in the Deva Cut.  I go because her hair looks like mine. I love the concept, the products, the cut and everything about styling my hair this way. Every once in a while I blow my hair straight and flat iron it; I always go right back to my usual curly style. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@1Professor wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

The stylist I had at Devaschan was terrific- he gets rave reviews all the time. He just didn't cut enough off!! I went into the salon with a picture and everything- most times I would have jsut insisted. But I had been there for a while and was already late meeting someone midtown. 

@lbb38:

You mentioned being in the salon for awhile and I've read that a Deva cut and style does take longer. True?

The cut itself didn't take longer than a 'normal' cut. But the prep (shampoo & condiioning- the later especially) and the instruction that goes along with it extends the whole process. Plus my hair was dried very slowly under a heat lamp so they could get the curls  to pop better. I expected they'd use the wacky looking diffusers made by dev curl- but no! I had been  looking forward to seeing how they'd work with my hair!

Respected Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

@1Professor wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

The stylist I had at Devaschan was terrific- he gets rave reviews all the time. He just didn't cut enough off!! I went into the salon with a picture and everything- most times I would have jsut insisted. But I had been there for a while and was already late meeting someone midtown. 

@lbb38:

You mentioned being in the salon for awhile and I've read that a Deva cut and style does take longer. True?

The cut itself didn't take longer than a 'normal' cut. But the prep (shampoo & condiioning- the later especially) and the instruction that goes along with it extends the whole process. Plus my hair was dried very slowly under a heat lamp so they could get the curls  to pop better. I expected they'd use the wacky looking diffusers made by dev curl- but no! I had been  looking forward to seeing how they'd work with my hair!

Thanks so much! Now I'll be intrigued to see whether this salon uses a heat lamp to "air" dry my Deva cut! *one more week away*