Trusted Contributor

Re: Got Curly or Wavy Hair? Ever tried the DEVA CUT?

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I haven't tried a Deva salon. I've read good and bad reviews. I really think that it all depends upon the individual stylist.

I'm fortunate to have found a stylist who just intuitively knows how to style my very curly, frizzy hair. Each time I would mention something that I had read on naturallycurly.com, she seemed either to be already familiar with it or seemed knowledgeable enough to tell me why it would or would not work on my particluar hair.

In a way, I think it might be preferable that she is not dedicated to a particular method.

I agree. Some stylist just do not know how to work well with curly or wavy hair. Funny story, a hair stylist once told me that the best way to choose a stylist is to check out the ones with great cuts etc and the ask them who their stylist is. Go for the stylist that this one went to.

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Super Contributor

For close to 10 years I have been meeting  my DD in NYC for deva haircuts.  

She recently moved out of the city, so I tried (and loved) their salon in White Plains, NY.  Which salon will you be going to?

The cut that I get can last me 4-6 months!  Amazing.  At any regular salon, I used to have to go every 4-6 weeks.

My hair is wavy and thick.  I will never be without their Devacurl Ultra Defining gel styling product.  Their no poo or low poo shampoos ( no sulfates long before any other brand) are nice but I wouldn't purchase due to price - there are cheaper alternatives.  My daughter's hair is very curly and she love deva also.

Honored Contributor

@1Professor, I have not gotten a Devachan cut, but I do have the Curly Girl Handbook and found it very helpful.

You should check out the naturallycurly.com website. Much of what is there is based on the Curly Girl philosophy. They have a forums section (CurlTalk) where you can get loads of information and advice about curly hair. They have a product review section and store. They also have a fantastic salon recommendation system. I'm lucky because the founders of the site are in the same city I live in, so there are LOTS of salon recommendations for my area. I don't know what it's like for other places.

Respected Contributor

@ChynnaBlue: It's so encouraging to hear that the cut can LAST, thanks for sharing your years of experience!

@namaste000: I'm loving the book, thanks for the web link. Love new product sources. Still need someone who can actually CUT curls and waves to individualize them, but hoping that a stylist who actually bothered to do the 2 or 3-day Deva training back East (as we Californians say) is appropriately committed! *getting eager*

Respected Contributor

My stylist is great with curly hair.  No reason to spend a lot of money for a  "DevaCut".  I do use the DevaCurl products.  Their the best I've ever found.

Honored Contributor

I really don't like the look of most of those Deva cuts. It is like poofier on top an thinner on bottom. To me, they look unnatural, mainly the first two. I've seen several of these cuts online and they all look that way too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex wrote:
I have never tried it but the frizzy blonde hair closely resembles mine.We don't have anyone in our area that does this cutting but maybe if someone could recommend products to help with the frizzies I would appreciate it.

I think it was Chynnablue who recommended naturallycurly.com for tons of info and advice. It's such a matter of trial-and-error when it comes to products.
Right now, I am using SheaMoisture Coconut & Hisbiscus shampoo and conditioner. No sulfates. They can be drying, and the last thing you want for curly/frizzy hair is more dryness.
I blot with a microfiber towel (T-shirt is good, too) because terry loop towels roughen up the cuticle and cause frizz.
I never brush my hair. I comb it carefully while wet with a wide-toothed comb. I apply Curl Junkie Cocoa Coco Curl Creme Lite (or SheaMoisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie) mixed with a little bit Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha gel, and a couple drops of Darshana Natural Indian hair oil.
I use no heat on my hair. I either plop or rake and shake. Those are two methods help keep curl definition. If you want to know about them, let me know.
Once I do that, I don't touch my hair until it is completely dry. Then I scrunch it out a bit.
But hair like mine is so temperamental that what works like a charm one day is a major fail the next time. So to the poster who expressed envy toward those with curly hair, I know that she was not talking about me. I'd give anything to have straight (but full) hair.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

I really don't like the look of most of those Deva cuts. It is like poofier on top an thinner on bottom. To me, they look unnatural, mainly the first two. I've seen several of these cuts online and they all look that way too.

Oh, I just adore the look on each of the photos. I appreciate that the waves/curls are shortened in a way that allows them to actually curl (when wavy/curly hair is cut as a bob or longer, the longer strands perform quite differently than the lower ones underneath).

I'm not sure what you mean by "unnatural," but most hair styles are quite unnatural (yet attractive!): permed, colored, shaped, straightened, hot rollered, curling-ironed.

We're all just on a journey to find what suits the hair we were given, yet experiment a bit, as we change in our tastes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@1Professor wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

Oh, I just adore the look on each of the photos. I appreciate that the waves/curls are shortened in a way that allows them to actually curl (when wavy/curly hair is cut as a bob or longer, the longer strands perform quite differently than the lower ones underneath).

I'm not sure what you mean by "unnatural," but most hair styles are quite unnatural (yet attractive!): permed, colored, shaped, straightened, hot rollered, curling-ironed.

We're all just on a journey to find what suits the hair we were given, yet experiment a bit, as we change in our tastes.

I mean how the hair lays, I am not referring styling. Hair naturally does not look poofier/thicker on top and thinner on the bottom (unless you have damaged ends and then it looks thinner but that is still not the same as to what I am referrig to) It makes the person's head an odd shape. I love the look of full curly hair, not thinned out on the bottom like that. It is just my personal opinion.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@1Professor wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

I mean how the hair lays, I am not referring styling. Hair naturally does not look poofier/thicker on top and thinner on the bottom (unless you have damaged ends and then it looks thinner but that is still not the same as to what I am referrig to) It makes the person's head an odd shape. I love the look of full curly hair, not thinned out on the bottom like that. It is just my personal opinion.

For some of us curly-haired people, it is a challenge to avoid the stragglies at the bottom, but a good cut will miminize that.

I have fine but curly, frizzy hair that sometimes gets that weird cotton candy feel, especially on the ends and especially at the crown. My stylist carefully trims just ever so much each time, but still, because of the texture, they sort of get wound up with one another, which makes them more prone to breakage.

No matter what, I will never have the kind of hair that you could hold up and it would be the same thickness from root to end. But gradually, with good products and her help, I am adjusting to the world after blow-drying and silicone-laded serums and styling products.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland