Honored Contributor

Re: Got Curly or Wavy Hair? Ever tried the DEVA CUT?

@Adelina wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@HandbagHappy wrote:

I am a curly girl and it makes all the difference in the world!  I have been getting a Deva cut, every cut, for the past 5 years.  You can go to naturallycurly.com and get stylist recommendations.  The cut will be more expensive, but well worth it.  Do not ever let anyone cut your curly hair dry again!

Did you mean "wet"?

Now that I think about it, my stylist cuts my hair wet, but the previous one cut it dry. Hmmm. Which is better and why?

Hi, there. Well, a Deva cut, from what I understand, is always done dry, hence my thinking that the poster who gets Deva cuts said "Do not ever let anyone cut your curly hair dry again!"

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Frequent Contributor

It is much better to cut your hair when it is dry because not all curls bounce up the same.  Some coil more than others.  I got my haircut wet and my hair looks very sparse in the back because the hair closer to my neck curls/coils much more than the outer pieces.  

Honored Contributor

@mbee1967 wrote:

It is much better to cut your hair when it is dry because not all curls bounce up the same.  Some coil more than others.  I got my haircut wet and my hair looks very sparse in the back because the hair closer to my neck curls/coils much more than the outer pieces.  

It really depends upon the stylist's ability to work with your hair's idiosyncrasies. I have crazy curly hair, but the hair close to my neck is relatively straight, just the opposite of yours.

My stylist knows my hair well enough to cut it based on the weird patterns. She just isn't a fan of cutting dry, and so far, I've had the best luck with her talent than with any stylist I've ever encountered.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

When is your cut, 1Professor?  I'm so excited for you, lol.  I love my DEVA stylist.  Getting my first DEVA cut changed my feelings about my hair.  She did spend a lot of time at the first appt explaining what she was doing and how to style, but that was part of the "consultation" with the first cut (more expensive).  Since then she's just maintained and trimmed based on my requests.  I was wearing it in a long cut (went from just past shoulders to mid-back over 2 years...but it was much longer when wet, as you know!) and the cut grew beautifully.  I was getting it trimmed about every 5-6 months, when I would really start to notice extra tangling or when the shape got a bit out of whack.  I'm there about 2 hours...45 mins for the cut (dry and curl-by-curl), then she washes and gels and scrunches it, then I sit under the dryer for an hour because my hair takes a really long time to dry.  Then, once it's dry, she can see if any curls need to be trimmed a bit or any adjustments need to be made before she sends me off.

This last time I had it cut into an adorable graduated bob that I just love and have gotten a million compliments on since.  It's about an inch above my shoulders (it looks a lot like the cover pic of the Curly Girl book now...just a little longer) and she warned me this was only going to be a 6-8 week cut with the new length. 

I do use and love the DEVA gel, but I prefer WEN for cleansing (as you may have guessed Smiley Tongue ).  My stylist and I talked a lot about co-washing and WEN on my first visit, and she uses the no-Poo DEVA cleanser on me when I'm there.  I do keep some of the One Condition on hand to scrunch over my WEN leave-in, as it seems to create a better curl cast for me.  She's the one who told me on my first visit how unnecessary all the other DEVA products beyond the gel would be for my hair, which I loved.  And she didn't try to convince me to get the DEVA cleanser instead of WEN.  She did give me samples of both the cleanser and conditioner to try Smiley Happy

I really hope your first cut is as great an experience for you as mine was.  I am never going back to a non-DEVA cut again.  I can't wait for you to tell us how it went for you!

Respected Contributor

@WenGirl42:

Your support is wonderful, deep gratitude, curly sister. I am quite excited, but, since I've never met this stylist (who is Deva trained) or seen her work, some edgy worry lingers.

Your hair cut sounds fabulous! I always had long hair (ironed straight, of course), then shoulder length (flat ironed), then I realized I might make friends with my curls and got the book, lingered on the curly girl web sites. I'm now shoulder length. But my hair has different curls, some Cherub, some s'Wavy.

I've loved WEN, but think the other Deva products will be better to encourage the curls. I'll alternate with WEN cleanser (currently loving the lilac).

Here's some Deva cuts I'm crushing on, though not sure if I'm up to have her cut it short without "trying the stylist out:"

images.jpeg   images-1.jpeg   images.jpeg

Respected Contributor

deva-cut-before-after-650x365.jpg

Happily researching before and after Deva cut stories, awaiting my Thursday appointment, I am touched by the number of women who didn't realize HOW MUCH CURL their hair had and what it might look like!

Letting my hair go natural, air dry, cleanser and botanicals (no shampoo) for two months in anticipation, I've found three entirely different curl types lurking on my head! Hoping the Deva cut stylist will free them all.

Love these inspirationals:

images.jpeg     images-1.jpeg

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

Happily researching before and after Deva cut stories, awaiting my Thursday appointment, I am touched by the number of women who didn't realize HOW MUCH CURL their hair had and what it might look like!

Letting my hair go natural, air dry, cleanser and botanicals (no shampoo) for two months in anticipation, I've found three entirely different curl types lurking on my head! Hoping the Deva cut stylist will free them all.

Love these inspirationals:

I think products have a lot to do with it, too. My hair became much curlier after I stopped using shampoo and concentrated on moisture.

I look forward to an update after your cut!

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3  Thank you so much for the vids.  That young women sure knows how to give great, precise instructions!  My hair is much shorter, so I don't know how much raking and shaking I can actually do LOL.  But, I'm going to incorporate some of her ideas, in my own way.  I don't think I have the patience for plopping (unless it's plopping in my chair after work LOL).

I have a question (for anyone)...I've been bending at the waist and combing...using large pic...from the nape forward, then flipping it back.  Is this a no-no?

Thanks again, suzy...have a great evening.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Valued Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

@WenGirl42:

Here's some Deva cuts I'm crushing on, though not sure if I'm up to have her cut it short without "trying the stylist out:"

images.jpeg

1Professor, this is one of the pics I took to my stylist about 6 months ago when I was looking for a change.  She modified it a bit and I am very happy with it.  However, now that it is shorter I need to get it trimmed more often.  

Like a couple of other posters, I use Wen to cleanse but use other curl specific products such as Deva for styling.  My stylist does not push products and her only question regarding wen was whether it contained silicones. 

Good luck with your new doo!

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

@suzyQ3  Thank you so much for the vids.  That young women sure knows how to give great, precise instructions!  My hair is much shorter, so I don't know how much raking and shaking I can actually do LOL.  But, I'm going to incorporate some of her ideas, in my own way.  I don't think I have the patience for plopping (unless it's plopping in my chair after work LOL).

I have a question (for anyone)...I've been bending at the waist and combing...using large pic...from the nape forward, then flipping it back.  Is this a no-no?

Thanks again, suzy...have a great evening.

She is terrific, isn't she? I can't believe that some of her advice has made such a difference for me.

Plopping is even more simple than rake and shake, but If you have short hair, I would't advise it. It would not work well at all.