Contributor

Re: Got Curly or Wavy Hair? Ever tried the DEVA CUT?

I get a Ouidad curly cut and love it - I got my first Ouidad cut at the Manhattan Ouidad salon now I go to a local (Bijou Salon Robbinsville NJ) Ouidad certified salon

I swear by Ouidad Climate Control Gel and the Ouidad Sytling mist

I get my hair cut every 4 months

Love it

Respected Contributor

@soccer-lax-mom wrote:

I get a Ouidad curly cut and love it - I got my first Ouidad cut at the Manhattan Ouidad salon now I go to a local (Bijou Salon Robbinsville NJ) Ouidad certified salon

I swear by Ouidad Climate Control Gel and the Ouidad Sytling mist

I get my hair cut every 4 months

Love it

Ouidad cut is great, using a carve and slice technique and wet hair. So glad you loved your cut!

My prior (gifted) stylist did that cut on me earlier this year and I loved it. However, he mainly does Hollywood and photo shoots and, even worse, is moving, so I decided to try Deva Cut. Love the concept, love the Curly Girl book, love the idea of a dry cut on individual existing curls. *3 more days*

Esteemed Contributor

@missy mouse wrote:
I got the deva cut about 3weeks ago. Love the cut. Not so sure about the products. I'm getting red and itchy ears.. Went back to old shampoo to see if it's devacurl products or not. By the way I think my hair looks better with my old products.

You might be having a reaction to the menthol -  a lot of people who try Wen have the same reaction. I was hoping Lo Poo was free of menthol myself!

Honored Contributor

It works now that I'm at work (shhhhh) but usually I'm posting from my phone. Used to be simple and of course I'd mainly speak what I wanted to write but this new format is either not letting me sign in at all or deleting the majority of posting options Man Sad

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

It works now that I'm at work (shhhhh) but usually I'm posting from my phone. Used to be simple and of course I'd mainly speak what I wanted to write but this new format is either not letting me sign in at all or deleting the majority of posting options Man Sad

oops! thought I knew what I was doing but I missed the 'quote' atop the message box. The previous was actually in response to suzyq's help...

Frequent Contributor

I am a curly girl and it makes all the difference in the world!  I have been getting a Deva cut, every cut, for the past 5 years.  You can go to naturallycurly.com and get stylist recommendations.  The cut will be more expensive, but well worth it.  Do not ever let anyone cut your curly hair dry again!

Honored Contributor

@HandbagHappy wrote:

I am a curly girl and it makes all the difference in the world!  I have been getting a Deva cut, every cut, for the past 5 years.  You can go to naturallycurly.com and get stylist recommendations.  The cut will be more expensive, but well worth it.  Do not ever let anyone cut your curly hair dry again!

Did you mean "wet"?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Hi SuzyQ...I was wondering what you meant earlier on the thread about plop and rake/shake?  TIA.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@HandbagHappy wrote:

Did you mean "wet"?

Now that I think about it, my stylist cuts my hair wet, but the previous one cut it dry. Hmmm. Which is better and why?

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

Hi SuzyQ...I was wondering what you meant earlier on the thread about plop and rake/shake?  TIA.

So sorry that I'm late with my answer. I did see your question to me and had started to write a reply. But I found that it was very difficult to describe both methods. You sort of have to see them.

Basically, they are both geared towards promoting curl definition and reducing frizz. I "plop" when I'm in a hurry, but "rake and shake" provides better results for me.

Let me at least provide you with a video of each. There are two videos (Part 1 and Part2) for rake and shake that are the best I've seen. I just found them recently and think that they are the best I've seen. They helped me revise how I was doing it. I tried it over the weekend with excellent results. Watch both. Part 2 is where she actually goes through the whole method, but Part 1 is the prep.

Part 1

Part 2

Here's a very easy diagram that describes plopping. Some people use t-shirts, but I use a rectangular microber hair towel:

Plopping

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland