Honored Contributor

Re: Got Curly or Wavy Hair? Ever tried the DEVA CUT?

I agree with suzyq3. A good stylist is a plus and it certainly helps when she has similar hair to yours! I don't want somebody pushing a product line
Esteemed Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:
I agree with suzyq3. A good stylist is a plus and it certainly helps when she has similar hair to yours! I don't want somebody pushing a product line

Most places I've gone to try and push their prodcts-  even Great Clips!

Honored Contributor

I recently had my hair trimmed at Supercuts, of all places, and the stylist said to me towards the end of the cut you should be using a co wash if you're not already instead of regular shampoo. then she said put moisturizer on the ends everyday. nary a brand name left her lips! Which I found incredibly refreshing
Honored Contributor

this sucks! I can't edit a post nor can I reply to a specific post. what the heck is going on?!
Respected Contributor

51GRZvUlT4L._AA160_.jpg

For all my sister curly girls, who have been sharing on this Deva Cut thread, even if you don't get a Deva Cut, your curls will thrive if you get the Curly Girl Handbook!

Just finished reading mine. Great photos, testimonials, and even includes a wonderful DVD with step-by-step instructions for creating healthy gorgeous curls/waves (even how to cut your own hair). The book carefully goes through the differences between different types of curls and hair, with specific suggestions for managing and enhancing each.

Wish I'd had it years ago. Spent my life from teens on trying to mirror the straight hair look, complete with hot irons, curling irons, glazes. The slightest humidity, of course, curled and frizzed it out. 

*curls rule!*

Occasional Contributor

I have been considering the same thing, 1Professor. I've learned there is Deva cut and the Ouidad method. I believe they are similar but I didn't see any other post mention Ouidad so you may want to check their website for a stylist too (but I think Ouidad cuts are more expensive than Deva but not sure why). Good luck!
Honored Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

Most places I've gone to try and push their prodcts-  even Great Clips!

I think I've been lucky because no salon I've ever gone to has even suggested their own products. Certainly, they're prominently displayed, but that's about it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:
this sucks! I can't edit a post nor can I reply to a specific post. what the heck is going on?!

When you click on reply, you should see "QUOTE" on the right just above the comment box.

To edit, hover over those three lines above your post (to the right). You'll see several options, one of which is to edit.

I'm glad that another option is "delete"; no more having to write "N/M" or leave a punctuation mark or emoticon.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Contributor

I got the deva cut about 3weeks ago. Love the cut. Not so sure about the products. I'm getting red and itchy ears.. Went back to old shampoo to see if it's devacurl products or not. By the way I think my hair looks better with my old products.
Honored Contributor

Re: Frizz prevention products

@1Professor wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@dex wrote:
I have never tried it but the frizzy blonde hair closely resembles mine.We don't have anyone in our area that does this cutting but maybe if someone could recommend products to help with the frizzies I would appreciate it.

I have trouble with frizz, too. I found that moving away from shampoo, as recommended in the Curly Girl book, made a difference. I use a cotton t-shirt to blot my hair dry out of the shower instead of a terrycloth towel. The loops on terry towels will grab at the hair cuticle and start causing frizz even before you get out of the shower.

Here are some of my favorite products to prevent frizz:

Curl Keeper, by Curly Hair Solutions. I love this stuff. I can use this alone most days or add some gel over it on very humid days. I've used this at an outdoor festival where I was in 93% humidity in the morning and I had a great hair day. It's also light enough that I can use it on second-day hair. It's from Canada and I can't find it locally, but you can get it on Amazon.

Climate Control Gel or Curl Quencher Gel by Ouidad. Great gels to scrunch over Curl Keeper. Ulta and some Sephora stores carry Ouidad products.

And these products are all by Shea Moisture from their Coconut & Hibiscus line for curly hair: You can find many or all of them at Walgreens, CVS, Ulta, and Target.

Curl Enhancing Smoothie - a cream styling product that locks in moisture. A little goes a long way. I can use this alone or with some gel over the top on very humid days.

Curling Gel Souffle - a gel that works well over the Curl Enhancing Smoothie, over Curl Keeper, or on its own.

Curl & Style Milk - A lighter cream product that I love to use on second-day hair.

Thanks so much @ChynnaBlue!

How MUCH Curl Keeper do you use (and how long is your hair)?

I have a 32-oz bottle with a pump, so I go by the pump. If I'm using Curl Keeper alone, which I usually can, I'll use more than if I plan on layering a gel over it. My hair is now about 4 inches past my shoulders and I use 1-2 pumps of Curl Keeper on soaking wet hair. When it was down past my bra strap, I used 3 pumps. If I'm using it on second day hair, I wet my hair with a spray bottle of water and then some Ouidad Botanical Boost spray or a curl refresher spray by Shea Moisture and then scrunch about a half a pump of Curl Keeper in my hair to prevent frizz.