Reply
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,297
Registered: ‎12-07-2014

Got Curly or Wavy Hair? Ever tried the DEVA CUT?

[ Edited ]

51GRZvUlT4L._AA160_.jpgMy copy of the book that started the new hair cut trend for curly or wavy hair has just arrived and I have my first DEVA cut set for next week.

 

After a life time of hot ironing out the waves, I want to just let them be. Love to hear from any one with curly or wavy hair who has tried the Deva Cut!

 

deva ba 4.jpg

deva ba 5.jpg

deva ba 2.jpg

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,410
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Got Curly or Wavy Hair? Ever tried the DEVA CUT?

I had it done in the fall and it's a decent cut - done dry. I had grown out my layers and my hair looked terrible- so I decided to splurge. I went to Soho in NYC - a lot of the 'cut' is actually instructing you  how to condition and dry your hair. I wouldn't go again quite honestly!  They will try and sell you products - a very soft sell style! They are terrific haircare items,  I didn't buy then. I waited for Ulta to offer 20% off on prestige items!! 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,415
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Got Curly or Wavy Hair? Ever tried the DEVA CUT?

I haven't tried a Deva salon. I've read good and bad reviews. I really think that it all depends upon the individual stylist.

 

I'm fortunate to have found a stylist who just intuitively knows how to style my very curly, frizzy hair. Each time I would mention something that I had read on naturallycurly.com, she seemed either to be already familiar with it or seemed knowledgeable enough to tell me why it would or would not work on my particluar hair.

 

In a way, I think it might be preferable that she is not dedicated to a particular method.


~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,352
Registered: ‎04-19-2010

Re: Got Curly or Wavy Hair? Ever tried the DEVA CUT?

Just wanted to say that I love curly hair.  My own hair is straight as pins, and I've always wanted a head full of waves.  You ladies have gorgeous hair!


-- pro-aging --
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,297
Registered: ‎12-07-2014

Re: Got Curly or Wavy Hair? Ever tried the DEVA CUT?


@ibb38 wrote:

I had it done in the fall and it's a decent cut - done dry. I had grown out my layers and my hair looked terrible- so I decided to splurge. I went to Soho in NYC - a lot of the 'cut' is actually instructing you  how to condition and dry your hair. I wouldn't go again quite honestly!  They will try and sell you products - a very soft sell style! They are terrific haircare items,  I didn't buy then. I waited for Ulta to offer 20% off on prestige items!! 


Thanks for the heads-up on the multi-product soft-sell! I figured that might be the case after I scoured the web for the studios that are Deva Cut trained. I like the idea of a dry cut so that not only the stylist but I can see what they are doing. (My gifted hair stylist has moved to more exotic places, so I was panicked about finding a new one.)

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,243
Registered: ‎10-30-2010

Re: Got Curly or Wavy Hair? Ever tried the DEVA CUT?

I have heard of it, but I have not had a chance to try any of the products yet.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,991
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Got Curly or Wavy Hair? Ever tried the DEVA CUT?

I have never tried it but the frizzy blonde hair closely resembles mine.We don't have anyone in our area that does this cutting but maybe if someone could recommend products to help with the frizzies I would appreciate it.
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,410
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Got Curly or Wavy Hair? Ever tried the DEVA CUT?

The stylist I had at Devaschan was terrific- he gets rave reviews all the time. He just didn't cut enough off!! I went into the salon with a picture and everything- most times I would have jsut insisted. But I had been there for a while and was already late meeting someone midtown. 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,297
Registered: ‎12-07-2014

Re: Got Curly or Wavy Hair? Ever tried the DEVA CUT?


@ibb38 wrote:

The stylist I had at Devaschan was terrific- he gets rave reviews all the time. He just didn't cut enough off!! I went into the salon with a picture and everything- most times I would have jsut insisted. But I had been there for a while and was already late meeting someone midtown. 


@lbb38:

You mentioned being in the salon for awhile and I've read that a Deva cut and style does take longer. True?

Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,153
Registered: ‎05-22-2012

Re: Frizz prevention products

[ Edited ]

@Whatnow wrote:
I have never tried it but the frizzy blonde hair closely resembles mine.We don't have anyone in our area that does this cutting but maybe if someone could recommend products to help with the frizzies I would appreciate it.

 

I have trouble with frizz, too. I found that moving away from shampoo, as recommended in the Curly Girl book, made a difference. I use a cotton t-shirt to blot my hair dry out of the shower instead of a terrycloth towel. The loops on terry towels will grab at the hair cuticle and start causing frizz even before you get out of the shower.

Here are some of my favorite products to prevent frizz:

 

Curl Keeper, by Curly Hair Solutions. I love this stuff. I can use this alone most days or add some gel over it on very humid days. I've used this at an outdoor festival where I was in 93% humidity in the morning and I had a great hair day. It's also light enough that I can use it on second-day hair. It's from Canada and I can't find it locally, but you can get it on Amazon.

 

Climate Control Gel or Curl Quencher Gel by Ouidad. Great gels to scrunch over Curl Keeper. Ulta and some Sephora stores carry Ouidad products.

 

And these products are all by Shea Moisture from their Coconut & Hibiscus line for curly hair: You can find many or all of them at Walgreens, CVS, Ulta, and Target.

 

Curl Enhancing Smoothie - a cream styling product that locks in moisture. A little goes a long way. I can use this alone or with some gel over the top on very humid days.

 

Curling Gel Souffle - a gel that works well over the Curl Enhancing Smoothie, over Curl Keeper, or on its own.

 

Curl & Style Milk - A lighter cream product that I love to use on second-day hair.