Esteemed Contributor

Re: Going "blond" to avoid grey

@I am still oxox whatever you do,I'm sure it will look nice. You have beautiful hair!

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wagirl wrote:

hi fun!!  Was looking forward to that part of chemo and hair----the few weeks after chemo when my hair was growing, it was curly and I loved it as my normal hair was stick straight and very fine. But as it grew out, it got stick straight, thinner and finer and then the gross color combo. But a small thing in the grand scheme of things, right? Are you doing well?

Hi @wagirl!

Yep, it really is so small in the big scheme of things.  While many women have an extremely tough time with the hair loss aspect (quite understandably),  I really didn't.  I'm not sure why but was so focused on tx and beating the beast. Since I was triple negative, I had neoadjuvant therapy and remember after my 1st 3 doses of Taxol, yanking on my hair.. wondering when I was going to be bald & beautiful... lol.  To me that was a sign that the chemo was working I guess.  It didn't take long after 3 and 1/2 weeks. I cut it super short,  then chemo rapidly took care of the rest.  I'm doing well.. celebrating, as of mid Feb, a milestone of 5 years cancer-free. Thanks for asking, wa.  Boy do your priorities & perspectives change!  Losing eyebrows was the strangest. I could sort of camouflage the eyelash loss with darker shadow.  How about you?  Seems I read you're several years out?  I hope you're well, happy & finding the beauty in each day. Heart

Respected Contributor

If you really want to try it, go ahead.  I think it will be a real change from going from dark to blonde.

I know I would look awful as blonde.  My coloring just wouldn't go with it.  So think about that aspect too. 

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

What timing.  I was thinking of this myself.  I am so tired of the roots. I am lucky if it lasts two weeks.   I wish I could try blonde, it just wouldn't work with my coloring and I don't think my hair can take the transition back if it didn't work.  I have to seek out one of those places that shows what different looks would work.  I often think to just let it go, but I am not ready to be gray. I would be 100% gray too.  

Good luck if you try it. It would be a bit liberating. At least with blonde color, the roots are not in your face. 

Honored Contributor

I am not going totally blond, I will keep some of the darker color as it all grows out, in theory this works lets see how it works in reality Smiley Happy

@aprilskies wrote:

What timing.  I was thinking of this myself.  I am so tired of the roots. I am lucky if it lasts two weeks.   I wish I could try blonde, it just wouldn't work with my coloring and I don't think my hair can take the transition back if it didn't work.  I have to seek out one of those places that shows what different looks would work.  I often think to just let it go, but I am not ready to be gray. I would be 100% gray too.  

Good luck if you try it. It would be a bit liberating. At least with blonde color, the roots are not in your face. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I was dx in April of 2012, started treatment in June and finished all my treatments in Jan of 2013 and had the 5 months of chemo including 12 weeks of taxol and then 33 days of rads. Had breast cancer. I lost all my hair just before my 2nd round of chemo. Eyebrows/lashes hung on awhile longer but I actually got very good at drawing in my brows and always wore eyeliner so I did look more "normal". The hair loss thing is a big deal--just thinking so much about it is the worse---but when it happens--finally--it was a huge weight off my shoulders. and it was kind of nice not to have to deal with hair for awhile. I wore lovely scarves and hats  and had 3 wigs that I LOVED, and was pretty comfortable with it.   You should come over to the cancer survivors forum-- a few of our ladies had what you had. Kind of fun.

Honored Contributor

Cat Very Happy       The manager at the salon I go to told me that gray hair is in and he was right.  When I searched short haircuts a lot of gray hair women popped up and on younger women.  Go figure.  I am salt & pepper and love it but everyone has different taste. 

kindness is strength
Regular Contributor

@I am still oxox

I say go for it! I have been blonde for over 15 years and love it! 

I had been just about every shade and color before that. When I was in my 20s, I dyed my hair coal black. Loved it. Then I went into brunette shades, and later to auburn and burgundy. Blonde is my sweet spot now, as the darker colors make me look too sallow now. 

I am naturllay cool to neutral light olive. When I am that pale, cooler to neutral blonde shades look best on me.

When I faux tan, I prefer golden, honey, buttery blonde, or neutral blonde.

When I get my highlights done, I aim for a neutral blonde result when it is time to tone. This way I can easily change the tone later, with either a violet shampoo, or with a gold toned shampoo. It is hard to find gold toned shampoos lately, so my suggestion would be for you to go with a bit more honey to gold highlight at the salon (your hair looks warm toned in your pic). If you ever want to cool the tone later, there are a ton of violet shampoos and conditioners on the market! 

Tip:

If you are concerned about being able to pull off blonde, ask to have several blonde tones of hair extentions for you to be able to hold up to your face. Cool, cool neutral, neutral, beige, beige gold, gold, honey, etc.....there are lots of shades and tones to consider! I believe there is a blonde tone and shade for just about any skin tone. Smiley Happy You just have to find yours.  As you are only adding highlights, I would suggest keeping them chunky. This will create more dimension. If your colorist begins foiling in a ton of very fine highlights, I think it tends to look old, flat, and dated (unless you are a natural blonde!).

TIP 2:

Your hair looks beautiful and healthy. To keep ot thatmway, make sure your colorist uses OLAPLEX in your bleach mix. Also ask for an Olaplex treatment afterwards.

TIP 3:

Make sure you get products to protect your blonde from fading or bleaching out in the sun. And you will need protein based hair products as well as moisturizing ones, the more you bleach your hair. Blonde hair is harder to achieve gloss with, so buy some silicone serum (or argan oil) to keep it protected and shiny.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Cat Very Happy       The manager at the salon I go to told me that gray hair is in and he was right.  When I searched short haircuts a lot of gray hair women popped up and on younger women.  Go figure.  I am salt & pepper and love it but everyone has different taste. 

I let my hair go gray about four years ago.  I keep it cut short and have it trimmed every three weeks.  I love it.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

I let my hair go gray about four years ago.  I keep it cut short and have it trimmed every three weeks.  I love it.  

Like you I don't understand women going thru all this and spending all this money just to avoid getting grey. To each their own, though.