Respected Contributor

Re: Going "blond" to avoid grey

Great idea!  I highlight my own hair with one of the box kits.  When the roots grow out, I just get a Clairol Root Touch Up and streak just the roots of my hair - works for me - hides all the notion of grey. 

Respected Contributor

Your hair looks lovely in the picture. 

Like others have said, try the heavy highlights and see how that works for you.  If you don't like it your hair will grow out in just a few haircuts, along with any damage,  That's the good thing about short haircuts. 

Honored Contributor

I did that starting back in about 1990 when I started seeing a few gray hairs in my medium brown hair.

I had it "frosted" for about 8 years and changed salons and new hairdresser suggested just lightening the entire head a few shades to camouflage the gray.

My next step was DIY hair coloring.  I just chose a cool blonde shade and tried different brands until I eventually settled on L'Oreal Feria #91 ... gives me the best color - it colors the now white hair just a bit and lightens the brown just enough so that the "blonde" looks like highlights.  There isn't a marked difference in colors - just a subtle shift from brown to blonde to white.

I'm very happy with the way my hair looks and the guy who now cuts my hair thinks I do I great job with the color.  (I've had lots of practice)

Honored Contributor

Nifty idea. My hair is dark blond, but I'm going to do the same as you once my greys become more obvious. Treat them like highly lifted highlights and basically put an light/medium ash blond toner all over every month. Kinda looking forward to it.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do heavy blonde highlights and lowlights to cover gray.  It's still high maintenance. Doing the home box root touch-up in blonde never works out well for me anymore like it used to.  My hair now picks up red too easily even with ash toner.  I started doing a reverse  at the roots with brown to cover the gray if I can't get in to see my stylist soon enough- then let him add the bright blonde when he can see me.  Hopefully you'll have it down pat.  I think it's a great idea and love the multi-tonal/dimensional look.

Enjoy and have fun with it!  For me I think it looks much more youthful.  Because your hair is healthy, you can handle it fine.  Just be prepared to still see your stylist as often.   Hopefully it will cut down on appts... but it may not.

Honored Contributor

My hair used to be a med brown with some golden in it. Had chemo and lost all my hair but when it came back it was this grey, brown ,ugly, ratty color. Not attractive at all----IMHO anyway. So I go in 2x a year for highlights and my girl does 2 or 3 colors but the one she does the most of is an ashy blond that blends in to the grey and warms it up, then she adds a more red brown color for depth and then a golden mid range color too. It looks really good and it grows out very nicely. I think I spend $75 as I have been going to her for at least 15 or more years. My hair is pretty short and kind of thin from the meds I take. going in June for a tune up!!

Valued Contributor

Go for it!!!!!  I have blond hair with lots of gray roots.  I get colored or low lights every 5 weeks and Shine at the end.  I have fair skin and look awful gray.

Regular Contributor

Have you thought about going all grey on purpose?  I've seen some very pretty pictures on pinterest of all grey heads-the grey ombre looks are really pretty.  It would still require color but maybe it wouldn't be as damaging as going with the blonde?

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I have short dark brown hair, with about 40% grey, I color it every 3-4 weeks and hi light every 10-12 weeks. I am now considering doing a heavy hi light to mask the grey roots and limit myslef to one process. My hairdresser is ok with it.

Thoughts any one 

thanks 

4556A3DA-51BA-424F-9424-435FC8B34CE3.JPG.jpeg

@I am still oxox

Thick, full, hair AND eyebrows?? You hit the genetic jackpot lady!

Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

My hair used to be a med brown with some golden in it. Had chemo and lost all my hair but when it came back it was this grey, brown ,ugly, ratty color. Not attractive at all----IMHO anyway. So I go in 2x a year for highlights and my girl does 2 or 3 colors but the one she does the most of is an ashy blond that blends in to the grey and warms it up, then she adds a more red brown color for depth and then a golden mid range color too. It looks really good and it grows out very nicely. I think I spend $75 as I have been going to her for at least 15 or more years. My hair is pretty short and kind of thin from the meds I take. going in June for a tune up!!

That sounds really pretty @wagirl.  When my hair first started growing back from chemo it was WHITE.. yes, white.  LOL.  Then it came back twice as thick and super curly like it was when I was a child.  Now my natural color is a mousy dark blonde with about 10% gray.  My stylist adds lots of different shades when he does my highights and lowlights but charges a lot more.  No Fair! Smiley Wink  Glad you're doing well!