Esteemed Contributor

It will be a lovely, unique look for you with much less maintenance.  Enjoy!

Respected Contributor

good for you!   i was only a little older than you when i gave up the color.  i have never once regretted it.  you sound comfortable with your decision, and i think you'll be very happy.  

i am now 71 and i try to keep my hair cuts looking stylish and current.  

it always kills me when people say (to my face) that they would NEVER let their hair go grey because it makes them look like an old lady.  (so let me get this straight .... you think that if my hair was brown that i would look 45 again? LOL) i am 71 and i am comfortable being 71.  

i had someone over doing some handyman jobs around here and happened to mention to him that i don't do ladders any more ... he asked why  not? ... and he was stunned when i told him my age.  so i guess i don't look too 'old lady'.

Respected Contributor

Only you know what your stylist's motives are for disagreeing with your decision.  Color, not color, it is up to you and either way, you are still being yourself. 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Going gray — at 34

[ Edited ]

Great decision!!   You will look fabulous!

My hair gradually turned gray in my early 60's.  At first, it looked like I had "frosted" my blonde hair - it was a very slow process.  Because of my gray, I needed to tweak some of the makeup colors I use.  That was fun!    The way you apply makeup, and colors you wear, may need to change as your hair gets more gray.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

No words of advice - just my best wishes!

It's been a year since I stopped coloring - so happy with my decision.  I'm actually surprised at how nice my hair looks!

Valued Contributor

@Smc09 

Congratualtions are making that decision ! I will soon be 57 and love my slver . I started showing a few grays in my early 40's . Mom went gray in her 20's , when my dad passed away at 65 he hardly had any . I used to highlight my fine dark brown hair for body . Then when my hairstylist went on maternity leave , my silver was coming through on the crown and sides like highlights . everyone started complimenting me saying these highlights are much prettier than your old ones .Even my stylist agreed they looked better . My advice would be number 1. is too look at your hair and skintone to see if you need to adjust makeup clothes.  Depending on your skintone and gray color , sometimes if you wore lots of nude makeup colors or brown/ beige clothes they may drain your color a bit . I now wear colors i never wore before . 2. You can get a ton of inspirations , looks and tips form PIntrest plus I follow a few Youtube Channels and INSTAGRAM channels for silver hair . Some of my favs are :  Naturally Graysful, Nikol johnson Beauty Beinvented , The gray book , Cindy Joseph Boom Cosmetics . There  are several more you can search . My best advice is to have fun with it and experiment with styles ,clothes makeup !

Valued Contributor

@Smc09 wrote:
Happy Tuesday all!
After much deliberation over the past 2 years, I have decided to finally let my natural gray/silver go natural. I started getting gray hair around the age of 23, my hair is naturally very dark brown. It wasn’t too bad at first, just a couple of strands here and there.
But around the age of 29, it was all throughout. I was having to get my hair dyed every 4 weeks.
My hair grows very quickly, so because of this, my new gray growth starts showing by day 10 after it is dyed.
Plus, my scalp has never done well with hair color, no matter what the brand. It would itch for right around a week after it was done.

So here I am, 34 years old, and letting the gray/silver do what it will!
My hairstylist is not thrilled with my decision, says I am way too young to let it go 🙄 but I’m happy with my decision and funny enough my husband told me last night he is happy with my decision, he thinks the gray/silver strands through my hair make it look unique and like glitter!

If any one has any advice on this process, I appreciate it!

I let my hair go gray a number of years back, as keeping up with "blonde" was getting annoying. I LOVE my hair now. I can pull it back without "Oh no, roots, I have to touch them up".
Funny thing is, I had someone ask me if I dyed it this color and I laughed, "Who would dye their hair gray?". She replied "Oh it's all the rage with teens now, they are streaking theor hair...it's called silver something". I just laughed.
Then I went to a hairstylist in town that I go to when my guy isn't available and she said the same thing: people want the look, but it's really difficult to do. 
Also, during the covid shut down, I noticed a significant lack of "selfies" from my high school friends, bcz they hadn't been to a hairstylist in months...lol
Not one for "selfies" but I really wanted to post a bunch (I didn't) bcz it's liberating to not have the cost/time/upkeep of hair color that isn't natural.
Do your own thing, if you like it, go with it...

Respected Contributor

Good for you! Consider changing hair stylist. Wear flattering colors and makeup. White gold or silver looks great.

Rejoice in your natural beauty, ignore naysayers. Let them be a slave to chemicals, expense and appointments.

Don't ask stylist opinion, tell them this is what you've 

decided.

Respected Contributor

How timely is this!  I will be 67 in a few weeks.  I have dark brown chin length hair.  I have been debating what to do about going gray for a few years.  Since the virus hit, I have not colored at all since end of Feb.!  It is mostly silvery around my face/hairline and very little gray throughout.  Some days I like it some I don't.  Still not sure what to do.  I have a box of Madison Reed here just in case!!  Wish they had grey dye so one can see a total affect!!

Good luck to you and I commend you on your decision!!

Honored Contributor

You can always change your mind if you don't like the final results once it's all grown out.