Valued Contributor

Shaun’s....my husband passed very suddenly and I just decided to do it for many reasons. But after being on my own I learned the look equated old to so many challenges I had to face and many service people and just in general. So I thought 

time to go back to who I was as my husband always stated you’ve got to feel good about yourself.

Thank you all for the great advice. I loved the henna idea very much and read about it 

and decided it would be difficult for me. My challenge now is to find a great salon in this new town.

Valued Contributor

@Elom Sorry for your terrible loss - I hope you find a great salon and colorist who make you happy.

Respected Contributor

@Elom I'm so sorry about the loss of your husband. He was right...do whatever you need to feel confident!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Yea for everyone's decision to change.  Change is great!

I started a thread here 3-4 years ago about growing my hair out to my natural white, which has been with me and I hate, since I was 33.  I really didn't want to do it, because on me it did age me terribly.  Fast forward to today.  I ceased going to the salon for my blonde with highlights to save $$$, as we're retired and I just couldn't justify the cost any longer and, frankly, my stubborn white just didn't hold blonde color at all well.

So...I dyed a streak of hair on the left side of my head "Orchid Purple" and love it.  Not only do I love it, but I get compliments from lots of people all the time.  (And my 5 y.o. granddaughter now says, "Oma, I need purple hair, too.  Can you do it for me?"  The operative word being "need.")

Respected Contributor

@Elom wrote:

Shaun’s....my husband passed very suddenly and I just decided to do it for many reasons. But after being on my own I learned the look equated old to so many challenges I had to face and many service people and just in general. So I thought 

time to go back to who I was as my husband always stated you’ve got to feel good about yourself.

Thank you all for the great advice. I loved the henna idea very much and read about it 

and decided it would be difficult for me. My challenge now is to find a great salon in this new town.

@Elom

I am so sorry for your loss.  Your husband was a very wise man; we must feel good about ourselves.

If a trip to the salon is not for you, Sally's Beauty can offer advice. Initially I would shy away from OTC hair dye as hair that has lost pigment is tricky.