Valued Contributor

I, a few years ago grew out my white in the front gray in the back hair. I have

decided to go back to coloring. Whoever has done this and been there would you

recommend a great brand of color or should I go to one of the beauty stores and mix it myself. I have been suggested both ways by a few who do their own hair but not sure about that. I am going to go a dark blond because of the white in front.

Honored Contributor

Make an appointment at your local salon. Gray is difficult to color. I color my hair ( I'll NEVER go gray) and my gal uses a gray resistant color so it adheres to my gray. I would never color my own hair now that I've turned gray. 

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

I went back to color from having "natural" hair for about four years.

I won't use any chemical color any longer, regardless of it's brand - never again! 

I started to color with very fine quality natural Henna. Color is beautiful, has life and brilliance to it.

Most importantly - it takes care of my grey perfectly. Grey does break through from under this color any more - it's completely covered. Except for growing roots, of course.

The brand I am using is hennacolorlab  dot com. They show what colors they offer, and also help with your questions. Reviews are fantastic!

Respected Contributor

@Elom I'm going to 2nd @ID2's suggestion...let your stylist color it if you can. When I was coloring, sometimes I did it myself, sometimes I let my stylist do it. When she did it, it looked much more natural, and didn't fade as fast. Yes, it was more expensive, but worth it, to me!

Honored Contributor

That sounds tricky.  I say go to a hair dresser and get it professionaly colored.  It would be different if you whole head was white or all the same color.

Respected Contributor

@Elom  I'm going back to salon color on Wednesday after a break of 11 months.

Easier, worth the $$ and she doesn not use permanent color.

Honored Contributor

I agree that you should go to a good stylist. I have my roots done every five weeks now. Yes, it is permanent color; my stylist and all the ones before said that anything but permanent will not work. She also puts a glaze on the helps protect the color and give my hair shine.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Contributor

Re: Going back to color

[ Edited ]

Response to use of henna:

I am allergic to permanent hair dyes, so began using henna and indigo about 10 years ago.

Had been losing hair due to menopause, cancer and then lupus. Found all kinds of herbal, oil and lotion concoctions to use, but the henna followed by indigo---my grey is so resistant, I need the 2 step dye process--that supplies the magic.

After using these totally plant-based ingredients on my hair, hair volume is incredible. Plus, henna is considered a treatment for hair as much as a dye, and my hair has never been softer or a more stunning color from the two plants. Sometimes add Amla to the mix to vary the color just a bit. Great stuff, make sure you are buying everything pure. There should be nothing but henna in your purchase, unless they sell the henna and indigo together for you, which I find does not work for me, but does for many.

It is a commitment of enormous time to dye, but wow, the results are so worth it.

Honored Contributor

@Elom wrote:

I, a few years ago grew out my white in the front gray in the back hair. I have

decided to go back to coloring. Whoever has done this and been there would you

recommend a great brand of color or should I go to one of the beauty stores and mix it myself. I have been suggested both ways by a few who do their own hair but not sure about that. I am going to go a dark blond because of the white in front.

@Elom  Not interested in starting a whole brouhaha...Just one answer from OP’s sufficient. Why are you going back to coloring? Curiosity.

Valued Contributor

I have to give a shout-out for the natural plant dyes, henna, indigo and cassia.  Has added volume to my once thinning hair.