Honored Contributor

Re: Going Nail Polish Free for the Rest of Winter

I think polish protects more in winter when it's dry and cold

Honored Contributor

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

I have been polish free for years. I cannot abide the scent of polish and remover.

This is why I will not use polish...how can anyone stand that stench! It makes me physically ill.  I only go to hair salons that do not do nails just so I do not have to smell the polish.

Respected Contributor

Never!

I like the look of well manicured nails all year long.  I enjoy the very dark colors for winter.

My nails are done with the SNS powder system. Not much odor and the wear is phenomenal with no nail damage.

~Enough is enough~
Respected Contributor

The last time I wore polish (Shellac) was 3 1/2 years ago for my wedding.  After that it came off and I've been polish free ever since. Partly because I didn't want the upkeep and expense, but then I just prefer clean nails more.

I keep my nails on the shorter side and they look good.  When I worked, there were a lot of women that didn't polish their nails. I really don't do anything special, I just file them with a glass file once a week.

Contributor

I take a pedicure break every winter, until sandal season.  If I have to go to a wedding or somewhere I need to be dressed up, I'll do a short term pedi.  I think it's good for your nails to have a break from polish.  The manis I just do myself on a 'as needed basis'.  Most of the time I just use cuticle creams and buffers to improve nail appearance.

Esteemed Contributor

@NJgirl 1205 wrote:

I feel like the polish adds layers and protects my nails.  Without it, they would be very fragile and get brittle. Anytime I have gone without for a day or two during the colder months, they would break so much more easily.   I do my own so do not need a wallet break. 

My nails are pretty much always polished as are my toenails.  I just enjoy the finished look and all the beautiful colors.

I do my own manis and pedis, and I find the process relaxing.  I also like the "finished look", as you said.  Every now and then I might take a day or two off, but other than that my nails and toes are almost always done year-round.  I like the look and it makes me feel good!

Respected Contributor

I've never worn nail polish in my life: I'm free all the time!

Respected Contributor

I haven't worn nail polish on my fingers now for at least a year. They have never been so healthy. They grow like weeds now. I just keep them a little over my finger tip and do buff them once in a while. I don't miss it all. You will enjoy the freedom of not having to maintain them.

Super Contributor

@luvdoodles wrote:

I haven't worn nail polish on my fingers now for at least a year. They have never been so healthy. They grow like weeds now. I just keep them a little over my finger tip and do buff them once in a while. I don't miss it all. You will enjoy the freedom of not having to maintain them.

@luvdoodles, this is what I've heard.  I've heard the first few weeks are rough and then as new nail grows in, they look healthier than ever.

I also notice that as I get older, not all nail polish colors look good any more.  Some really age my hands!

Honored Contributor

@DCAnnie2004 wrote:

I've always had polish on my nails - for the past year, I've mostly done Shellac.  I keep my nails well-conditioned.  

But I've decided to change things up in 2017 and am going to go nail polish free for the rest of winter.  I want to give my nails and wallet a break.

Have you ever taken a break from polish? Any tips?

I work in a formal office and have to dress up every day.

Wow, Isn't shellac one of the worst things to polish your nails with?! I've never had my nails professionally done. I only do them myself. The polish I use isn't harmful to my nails so I really don't feel I need to take a break. They are always in tip top shape plus always neatly polished and ready to go! Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"