Respected Contributor

Re: Go grey or keep dying???

@Deblife wrote:

I'm 69 and have short hair but I two-color dye mine. a soft blonde and soft medium brown.  I thought about going natural and my hair colorist only used the blonde dye and not any of the brown.  I don't have thinning hair but the color washed me totally out and I looked sickly. My hair had no dimension and just wasn't very pretty. I have a lot of gray so that showed through as well.  I went for 6 weeks and decided to go back to coloring.  It made me look and feel so much better.  I will color my hair until I die!  I too, hated the expense by the way.

This is my experience.  Your's may be very different.

i just turned 69 yesterday and will also color mine until the day I die. Had mine done yesterday. My Mom was 95 when she passed away and colored her also. It's just my personal preference. Some women do look stunning but it's not for me.

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

IT'S A 'NO BRAINER'.....If money is a factor, GO GREY....

If you don't want to look old, KEEP  DYING...

@sarahpanda  That’s too general a statement. I don’t look or older. 

Respected Contributor

My mother and her first cousin were both natural platinum blonde; both went to silver white hair.

The dyes weren't great then but they were two of three woman I met who went grey.

My cousin was ninety at my sixtieth birthday party. She had a white suit on and star sapphire jewelry. She looked beautiful. No one believed me when I said she looked better at ninety than at fifty. She barely made pretty then; her hair wasn't silver shimmer yet.

The minute I suspect I have my mother's hair I'm going to grow mine out. I doubt I'll get it because my colorist said that he rarely sees hair like hers. The irony was people thought she colored it silver.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@sarahpanda wrote:

IT'S A 'NO BRAINER'.....If money is a factor, GO GREY....

If you don't want to look old, KEEP  DYING...

@sarahpanda  That’s too general a statement. I don’t look or older. 

***@Sunnyskies. Correcting my own reply: I don’t look or FEEL older. Sorry. 

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I decided my fate of going gray or keep dying my hair years ago! I have observed women that let their hair grow gray...they all look so O L D!!! They've aged at least 20 years!! That's when my vanity took over my logic. I will never, ever stop coloring my hair. I love the variety I have with going light, going dark, highlighting, lowlighting, etc. I never look the same and I'm certainly not going to get stuck looking a LOT older than I am by having gray hair. 

@ID2  With all due respect, please speak only for yourself. Not everyone looks 20 years older when they’re naturally grey. My group of friends, all within 5 yrs. of each other, decided at the same time to stop coloring our hair. Only one women turned back during the process...she lost patience waiting for the wide portion of grey to take over the darker hair. It had nothing to do with her looking older. 

IMHO, nothing is more aging than a wrinkled 75 year old woman with colored brown hair. To each her own.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

I decided my fate of going gray or keep dying my hair years ago! I have observed women that let their hair grow gray...they all look so O L D!!! They've aged at least 20 years!! That's when my vanity took over my logic. I will never, ever stop coloring my hair. I love the variety I have with going light, going dark, highlighting, lowlighting, etc. I never look the same and I'm certainly not going to get stuck looking a LOT older than I am by having gray hair. 

@ID2  With all due respect, please speak only for yourself. Not everyone looks 20 years older when they’re naturally grey. My group of friends, all within 5 yrs. of each other, decided at the same time to stop coloring our hair. Only one women turned back during the process...she lost patience waiting for the wide portion of grey to take over the darker hair. It had nothing to do with her looking older. 

IMHO, nothing is more aging than a wrinkled 75 year old woman with colored brown hair. To each her own.

As you said upthread, that is too generalized a statement.

A skillful colorist can make a 75 year old look wonderful with brown or blond or red hair. 

Poorly done hair is unattractive whether it is brown or gray. 

It's completely a matter of preference and you can always recognize the difference between someone who takes good care of themselves no matter what color their hair is.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus, my m-i-l is 89 years old, don't know who she thinks she's kidding with no grey.  All you have to do is look at her skin and know she's still coloring her hair.

Respected Contributor

I will be 68 in a few weeks.  Of course people know I dye my hair.  The color my stylist and I have chosen is far more flattering than my present natural color. (which I refer to as squirrel)

Valued Contributor

This is an ageless question that many women and some men wrestle with...under what circumstances and when should one stop coloring their hair.  For me, I will be very shortly 59 and intend on coloring my hair unless and until I for health reasons can no longer tolerate dye or look so ridiculous that it become more fake than natural as possible in appearance.  I have beautiful below the shoulder length hair that is gorgeous and healthy.  No one believes that I am nearly 60 in age.  

When I get to the point of it is time, I will let all my hair color fade and grow out; get it cut in a cute shorter style, wear a wig in a white hair style I want my hair to look and let my natural hair to grow out to white as long as it takes. Then ditch the wig and viola!  My new snow white hair and updated style.  I have a plan.  Ha!  

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Shanus, my m-i-l is 89 years old, don't know who she thinks she's kidding with no grey.  All you have to do is look at her skin and know she's still coloring her hair.

@CelticCrafter, perhaps she isn't trying to kid people; perhaps she just likes the look.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland