Respected Contributor

Re: Go grey or keep dying???

not all grey/silver hair is created equally. i started dying my hair at 15. I am 61 now, and i was a slave to that color bottle. for me the decision was made when i got Cancer the first time.  Luckily i have a very pretty silver/white color.  

I think that you should take the plunge and do it. if you don't really care for the look, you can always comb in some blonde highlites.  you can't always tell either if you are completely grey or partially either.  how about a update in a few weeks? 

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirlI think whether any of us will be happy going gray is a very personal decision.  Some hair, some skins look absolutely lovely with gray hair and some women are perfectly happy even if they like the look and feel of dyed hair better, but don't want the cost and inconvenience of keeping up with the process!

For me, the time and cost to color is more important than buying new clothes, doing a full make-up daily, wearing new jewelry, or even gaining a few pounds!  I will go to my grave with dyed hair if I have the mobility, the mind, and the money to see my colorist regularly. 

Honored Contributor

I think it totally depends on YOU. If you look in the mirror and the gray hair doesn't make you feel older or less attractive go for it.

If you don't feel good about yourself when you look in the mirror with gray hair ..color it. 

I personally hate myself when my gray starts growing in and it's really not that noticeable because I am blonde. Coloring my hair makes me feel younger so I think the cost and bother are well worth it.

Perhaps conditioning treatments and a color product that is better for your hair would help your thinning and I would also ask my DR about the Tamoxifen. Maybe you could research it on the Internet and see if thinning hair is a side effect.

Whatever you decide to do..Good Luck and I hope you like it.

Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl, try it and see how you like it. I feel it is often hard to know how you feel about something until you actually do it. 

And I have never thought of coloring one’s hair as a character flaw.  

Trusted Contributor

I use Natural Instincts that just gradually fades and at $7 a box, I think I'll keep coloring.  Not everyone looks good going natural!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@bargainsgirl  I decided to give up the color battle 5 years ago.  I went totally grey in my 30's...

At age 58  I cut my long over processed colored to death hair super shorty to get most of the color off and grow it out natural.  

I am 63 now and that was one the Best decisions. I ever made stopping the color battle.

Society makes us feel like we should be shamed not to color our grey hair.  Much of that is the color industry and the hair salons.

@SeaMaiden  AMEN

Honored Contributor

If your hair is thinning, for any reason, it makes sense to stop doing as many damaging things to it as possible: highlights, all over color, blow drying every day, shampooing too often, hot styling tools, too frequent brushes, wearing tight ponytails/barrettes/headbands, etc. 

***Going grey or not is personal and batted back and forth here every few months. It NEVER ends up well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it is a very personal decision. I tried on a gray wig and it reminded me of old movies where in order to age the character they make their hair gray. Definitely not for me.

I color my hair and it is shiny and full of body. It is thicker now than when I was young because hair dye swells the cuticle and adds a lot of body. The posts that claim hair dye damages hair? In my case it hasn't and no split ends but shiny, healthy and a beautiful shade I get compliments on frequently.

The day may come when I stop coloring my hair. At 65, that day I hope is far far in the future.

Respected Contributor

My thoughts.....if you have a stylish cut and wear cloths that are current, then go with the white or grey hair. 

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

I have dark brown chin length hair and whispy bangs.  My hair has thinned but not sure if it is due to Tamoxifen (2 1/2 more years to go) or genes...I am 65.  I have been thinking of  cutting it short and going grey in hopes that it might stop thinning if I stop dying it.  I am so very tired of the cost as well.  Any thoughts?

My hair is also thinning. And it was thinning before I started taking Tamoxifen. I have never colored my hair. I have about 10 gray hair. I am 67 years old.

I am not sure if you stop coloring your hair if your hair will change back to the way it used to be. I know once my hair started to thin, it stayed that way.

PS - you said you have 2 1/2 more years to go taking Tamoxifen. When I first started taking it, I was told 5 years. THEN later on the Doctor said maybe 10 years. He has not done one blood test in the past 2 1/2 years. How long does your Doctor recommend taking it?