Respected Contributor

Glycolic acid versus retinol for the body

I've been using the Alpha 12% glycolic acid lotion on my body and it's been helping keep my dry, flaky areas (like my shins) moisturized, but I've been hearing about a retinol body lotion by Versed that people are raving about. 

My question is, do glycolic acid and retinol have the same or similar benefits for body skin? Which one is better?

Thanks in advance to anyone who will share their knowledge or experience!

Honored Contributor

Re: Glycolic acid versus retinol for the body

[ Edited ]

Best person to ask @SilleeMee.  

Honored Contributor

They are both good to use and one is no better than the other. Alternating days of application is your best method to avoid irritation or, if your skin can tolerate it, apply them on the same day at opposite ends of the clock.

Both are anti-aging but act differently. Retinol (abbrev:  ROL) is a preventative treatment approach to younger-looking skin where the ROL works at the living cellular level to encourage growth of new cells via retinoid receptor activity. ROL helps prevent lines and wrinkles from forming. OTOH, glycolic acid (GA) works as damage control, cleaning up dead cells by dissolving the glue that holds them together as well as dissolving pore sludge which leads to smoother skin.  But one additional action of GA is it's ability to go deep into the skin where it reaches the dermis and cause early cell death whereby starting the chain of events which induces collagen. No other skin acid can do that. GA will also help prepare the skin (exfoliation) to get the best results from ROL.

Respected Contributor

I used PTR PM Retinol on my body and it's completely changed the texture.  My skin is baby smooth all over and it has helped me avoid spot on my hands.  

Honored Contributor

@nyc1 wrote:

I used PTR PM Retinol on my body and it's completely changed the texture.  My skin is baby smooth all over and it has helped me avoid spot on my hands.  

@nyc1 Do you use it straight or mixed in a lotion?  And if you use self tanner, is it affected at all?

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@nyc1 wrote:

@nyc1 Do you use it straight or mixed in a lotion?  And if you use self tanner, is it affected at all?

@JeanLouiseFinch I use it straight from the bottle.  A little goes a long way.  My skin is seriously the smoothest it has ever been. 
I don't tan in the winter but when I use self tanner in the warmer months (not all over and not all the time),  I apply the retinol on the days I'm not self tanning, and only about 3x a week on my face and  body, 5-6x on my hands.  Somehow it works out and it's never been an issue for me.  
Respected Contributor

Thank you @SilleeMee 🙂

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

Thank you @SilleeMee 🙂

You're welcome @Texasmouse 

I hope my post wasn't too technical...lol! 

Honored Contributor

@nyc1 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@nyc1 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch I use it straight from the bottle.  A little goes a long way.  My skin is seriously the smoothest it has ever been. 
I don't tan in the winter but when I use self tanner in the warmer months (not all over and not all the time),  I apply the retinol on the days I'm not self tanning, and only about 3x a week on my face and  body, 5-6x on my hands.  Somehow it works out and it's never been an issue for me.  

@nyc1  - Do you use the product in the navy blue container for PRT?  

Respected Contributor