Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

Yes, I understand that my face, hands and neck and every part of my body is going to show signs of age sooner or later.  Applying skin care to my face, neck and hands slows down the appearance of aging.  

I don't quite understand your post tho.  The two paragraphs read as conflicting statements.  

I continue to apply the same thing to my hands as I do my face, with positive results.  

@monicakm   My 2 paragraghs? I'm saying all we can do is slow the wrinkles and aging look a bit by good skincare and sunscreen. You'll never stay 30. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I passed up 30 32 years ago.  Now I'm working on staying 62 Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Shanus 

I passed up 30 32 years ago.  Now I'm working on staying 62 Smiley Happy

@monicakm   I always tell my skincare and makeup clients who come in complaining about looking old, lines, wrinkles, sagging, etc. and want me to work miracles...There are no secrets to staying "young". I'm not really into anti-aging, I'm more pro-aging...looking the best we can for our age. There's a big difference. One is fighting the years as they pass and the other is the reality of acceptance. 

Trusted Contributor

As I am the OP,  I apologize for dropping the ball, but I do appreciate the conversation.

While the tops of my hands are probably treated enough, it is around my fingernails, including my cuticles, that I get a build-up of tough skin.

I've used all kinds of oils and cuticle treatments. They help prevent skin splitting and soften, but do not stop that tough build-up.

Honored Contributor

@FLgardener I know exactly what you mean.  I have such tough skin and even it seems overgrowth of skin aroung my fingernails, especially the middle finger.  A couple of months ago i started using CND Cuticle Eraser that I got from Ulta online which does have some glycolic acid in it.  I do believe it helps although I did have some peeling around my index finger just the other day, but I haven't had any hang nails.  I am planning on upping my game to a certain percentage of glycolic acid before summer though as my hands get a real workouat in the yard even when wearing gloves. I thought about the Nassif pads but I really wanted to know the %.  There's another thread in this forum where I talked about that looking for something with specific %'s.  It wasn't my thread, but I think the title of it was Cuticle Cream Recommendation.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Glycolic Peel on Hands

[ Edited ]

@FLgardener wrote:

As I am the OP,  I apologize for dropping the ball, but I do appreciate the conversation.

While the tops of my hands are probably treated enough, it is around my fingernails, including my cuticles, that I get a build-up of tough skin.

I've used all kinds of oils and cuticle treatments. They help prevent skin splitting and soften, but do not stop that tough build-up.

@FLgardener 

I know about tough skin and how it builds up, especially on my hands, b/c I have scleroderma and I live with hard, dry skin. I use Alpha Skincare lotion which contains 12% GA. It's the only lotion that has helped keep the tough skin at bay. You can find it on their website at NeotericCosmetics dot com. and also Ulta.

Respected Contributor

@FLgardener , I can relate...my cuticles get terrible, and so do my toes.  I actually have to do my own pedicure every 2 weeks.  I also try everything and do keep up with oils and moisturizers...nothing stops the excessive dry build up of growth, or whatever you want to call it.   Sally Hansen has a great cuticle remover...a blue gel in a small squeeze bottle.   It really works on taking off excess dry cuticles and dryness around and under the nails.  You apply for 3 minutes, I then push back and scrape off dead skin with a professional cuticle pusher tool.  It doesn't stop the growth, but cleans it up nicely.   I also follow up with Okeefes foot repair,  and hand repair.   I think the key is the product and frequent consistency.   It's a pain to keep up, but I'd rather do this, than have dried ugly build up.  Hope this helps 🙂