Honored Contributor

Does anyone here use pure glycerin on their face?  From what I understand it's a very good humectnat.  I think it was Dr Idress that suggeted this over HA but don't quote me on that.  Which one do you use?  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@monicakm  I am interested about this too! How to use it and such!

Honored Contributor

Re: Glycerin For Your Face

[ Edited ]

Glycerin is water soluble. Diluted glycerin in water is the best way to apply it to the skin. You can make a hydrating mist by adding about one tablespoon to 2 ounces of water in a misting spray bottle. Shake it well and that will make the glycerin disperse completely into the water, no need to shake it again.  If you want it to be more hydrating add more glycerin but keep in mind when you add more glycerin it tends to make it feel tacky or sticky on the skin. Experiment with this recipe and find a mixture which you like. You can even add some green tea extract liquid (5-10 drops or so) for an extra antioxidant boost. Green tea extracts usually contain some glycerin so keep that in mind when you're making your spray.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Glycerin is water soluble. Diluted glycerin in water is the best way to apply it to the skin. You can make a hydrating mist by adding about one tablespoon to 2 ounces of water in a misting spray bottle. Shake it well and that will make the glycerin disperse completely into the water, no need to shake it again.  If you want it to be more hydrating add more glycerin but keep in mind when you add more glycerin it tends to make it feel tacky or sticky on the skin. Experiment with this recipe and find a mixture which you like. You can even add some green tea extract liquid (5-10 drops or so) for an extra antioxidant boost. Green tea extracts unusually contain some glycerin so keep that in mind when you're making your spray.

@SilleeMee That's so cool!  Could I make it with green tea rather than water?  And how long could one keep the mixture in the bottle?  I think the green tea only a day or two!  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

Probably not a good idea to use green tea. Just use water and don't make a big quantity at once. It should be made fresh about every 2 to 3 weeks, sooner if it's warm in the room where you keep it. Store it in the fridge and that should keep it good for a month.

Respected Contributor

I've used Heritage Store Rosewater & Glycerine spray as a facial refresher (and moisturizer) for years, but it's for face and body.

It has vortexed and magnetized water believed to be more beneficial, with vegetable glycerine and (a delicate) rose flower oil.

First ran into it during a stay at a country, all natural spa like B&B, when it was one of the guest offerings. 

I love this stuff.  It leaves my skin dewy and soft, when break through dryness occurs during the day.

Ammy has it, but many grocers that offer organic personal products also stock it. Mine recently did.

A very cheap item for what it offers. If you wanted more glycerine, you could add some to it, too. I never want to be without it.

Trusted Contributor

There are a lot of YT videos on its facial usage.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Esteemed Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

I've used Heritage Store Rosewater & Glycerine spray as a facial refresher (and moisturizer) for years, but it's for face and body.

It has vortexed and magnetized water believed to be more beneficial, with vegetable glycerine and (a delicate) rose flower oil.

First ran into it during a stay at a country, all natural spa like B&B, when it was one of the guest offerings. 

I love this stuff.  It leaves my skin dewy and soft, when break through dryness occurs during the day.

Ammy has it, but many grocers that offer organic personal products also stock it. Mine recently did.

A very cheap item for what it offers. If you wanted more glycerine, you could add some to it, too. I never want to be without it.

@BlueFinch  how would you rate it's moisturizing properties?  I seem to battle dry skin almost all year.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I have been buying a cheap bottle of glycerin at WM, found in the pharmaceutical aisles, for a few years. It is every bit as good as pure hyaluronic acid as a humectant.

Respected Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@BlueFinch wrote:

@BlueFinch  how would you rate it's moisturizing properties?  I seem to battle dry skin almost all year.

@Snoopp I don't use this product as my only source for moisturizing. I use it as a touch up, refresher, when my skin becomes dry during the day. When applied over other previously applied moisturizing products, it leave your skin soft, with good moisture. For me, it's supplemental and wouldn't be enough, if that is all I was using.