Trusted Contributor
I'm a diagnosed celiac as well. My doctor,head of GI at a large,well-known Philadelphia hospital/ university,was amused when I asked about needing gluten-free cosmetics. He said almost exactly what Juggo said....don't worry unless you plan on eating them! The amount of gluten in an application of lipstick is likely to be neglible. Go to a dermatologist and ask him/ her about your issues.
Super Contributor

Check out RedAppleLipstick DOT com. The owner is hands on and they will help you personally through their web site. He is dedicated to making healthy make up. And it's all made in Texas - not China.

“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” H.P. Lovecraft
Honored Contributor

I had never of heard of celiac disease until the son of a friend was diagnosed. A diet change literally changed his life and now that of two of his children. I've not heard they've made any cosmetic changes though.

Curiosity will make me ask.

Super Contributor

Have you by any chance been eating gluten free breads and pasta? I ask because many of them are made from rice, which turns into sugar in the body and can raise blood sugar levels. Some gluten free products also have added sugar for taste. Sugar causes me to break out. After going gluten free, I switched over to gluten free breads, crackers, and pasta, and began breaking out badly. It wasn't until my dermatologist pointed out the rice-sugar-breakout connection that I realized what was happening. When I stopped eating the rice-based products, the breakouts stopped.

Esteemed Contributor

Perhaps you should eat food instead of your make-up.

New Contributor
I've never responded to a post before, but really wanted to for this. I have significant gluten intolerance. When I accidently cheat or use anything on my body or hair with wheat in it, it destroys my skin among other things. I couldn't understand how I still had acne in my late 40's until I read a medical journal article (I'm a nurse with several advanced degrees) and started to figure out what was going on. Thru changes in my diet and personal care routine, not only don't I have a whole host of medical problems, but my skin is clear. At 49, I no longer have acne. Thank God. Don't listen to the doubters. Do what you know is right for you. Wishing you the best -
Honored Contributor
On 10/23/2014 D- said: I've never responded to a post before, but really wanted to for this. I have significant gluten intolerance. When I accidently cheat or use anything on my body or hair with wheat in it, it destroys my skin among other things. I couldn't understand how I still had acne in my late 40's until I read a medical journal article (I'm a nurse with several advanced degrees) and started to figure out what was going on. Thru changes in my diet and personal care routine, not only don't I have a whole host of medical problems, but my skin is clear. At 49, I no longer have acne. Thank God. Don't listen to the doubters. Do what you know is right for you. Wishing you the best -

Good to know that you are doing well.

There is no credible data to support that celiac disease sufferers need to worry about gluten in skin or hair products. Those with celiac disease should not listen to doubters; they should listen to sound medical advice. That is what is right for them.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Be careful with medications. Prescriptions and over the counter meds more often than not have gluten in them.

I am celiac, but have never been concerned with gluten in skin care products. I still bake and use my hands to make breads, pasta, cookies and have never had a problem with the gluten on my skin.

I do know that there can be allergic reactions to just about anything injested or put on the skin.

Good luck in finding a solution to your skin problem.

Super Contributor
On 10/23/2014 Carmie said:

Be careful with medications. Prescriptions and over the counter meds more often than not have gluten in them.

I am celiac, but have never been concerned with gluten in skin care products. I still bake and use my hands to make breads, pasta, cookies and have never had a problem with the gluten on my skin.

I do know that there can be allergic reactions to just about anything injested or put on the skin.

Good luck in finding a solution to your skin problem.

Same here. Gluten free for food, but cosmetics have never been an issue for our auto-immune disease.

Honored Contributor

If one is that sensitive, more than likely the chemicals in makeup will affect you. But gluten? Highly doubt that would be an issue. I follow gals I FB that are chemically sensitive...and use fruit/vegetables for facial color.