Occasional Contributor
I have recently been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism II , and Celiac Disease. I have noticed that my make up and skin care is breaking my face out badly...i have called both companies, they are gluten free, but cannot guarantee that cross contamination has not occurred. Does anyone have recommendations for a Gluten Free cosmetic line? And skin care line? I am really in need of some guidance if anyone can help. I am sure the Endocrinologist could recommend a product line, but I can't get in to his office for 2 months, and I want to wear make up and wash my face before that appointment. Thank you for any help!
Contributor
Take a look at Afterglow cosmetics. I believe their makeup and skin care is gluten free. I like everything that I have tried from them. They are on the Internet so it is afterglowcosmetics with the usual .com after it. Good luck
Contributor
I believe Hourglass Cosmetics is gluten free
Esteemed Contributor

Cleure is gluten free and I think VMV is too.

Occasional Contributor

Hylunia skincare is gluten free - great reviews. I think they also have body products.

Occasional Contributor
Thanks so much for your recommendations. I'm going out this morning to research and hopefully come home with new products, or purchase online. Really appreciate the help. Have a blessed day!
Honored Contributor

How did you determine that gluten is the culprit in your skin problems? I'm thinking its probably something else.

Honored Contributor
On 10/23/2014 depglass said:

How did you determine that gluten is the culprit in your skin problems? I'm thinking its probably something else.

From the Mayo Clinic:

I have celiac disease. Do I need to be concerned about sunscreens, shampoos and cosmetics that contain gluten? Answers from Michael F. Picco, M.D.

No. Gluten-containing skin care products and cosmetics aren't a problem unless you accidentally swallow them. For this reason, avoid using such products on your lips or around your mouth. Also, avoid using gluten-containing dental products, such as certain mouthwashes and toothpastes. If you're uncertain about whether a product contains gluten, check the ingredient list on the product label or contact the manufacturer.

Some people develop a form of celiac disease called dermatitis herpetiformis (DH), which causes an itchy, blistering rash. This skin disorder is also linked to gluten intolerance. But although it involves the skin, DH is caused by ingesting gluten, not by skin contact with gluten. So, eliminating gluten from your diet will help clear up DH as well.

If you use a cosmetic or skin care product that contains gluten and you develop a skin reaction, see your doctor or dermatologist to identify the cause. It is possible to have an allergy to wheat or another grain that could cause a skin reaction.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Regular Contributor

Suzanne somers line on shophq Smiley Happy

Contributor

I have had Celiac Disease since the age of 2 (I'm now 60). Gluten in cosmetics is not really a concern unless you plan on eating some of your foundation or lipstick. If there happens to be gluten in a cosmetic that you are using, it doesn't penetrate through the skin, so don't worry about that aspect of the disease. The food you consume is the culprit, so focus on that, and there are so many good products on the market now, as compared to absolutely nothing when I was growing up!