Respected Contributor

I'm coming to you all for a suggestion. I have a former student (college-age) worker who has become a dear friend, and this is her last year in college. She has super-curly black hair that she usually pulls into a bun, and has worn it corn-rowed a few times as well. I think it would probably be classed under the "African-American hair" term, if that's even a term still in use? Anyway, I am looking at the different gift sets Chaz has brought this visit as a potential holiday gift for her (I'd really like to buy her a Clarisonic, but I kind of view that as a sort of "mixed message" gift, and don't want to insult her.) I think her scalp is probably a bit oily, but the hair is somewhat dry. What formula would you all suggest I get for her? I typically use SAM/TT on my fine straight hair, but I don't know if either of those would be best for her, or if she might benefit from CA, for instance. What do those of you with very curly hair like to use? Any experience you can share would be much appreciated!