Respected Contributor

Re: Gift for recovering from surgery

@lavendar  There are a few online companies that do different flavors of pint size ice cream. Each one has a fun name depending on the occasion you are sending it for. I have sent these a few times and are always a big hit. The ice cream is made in small batches. Just a different suggestion.

Honored Contributor

@lavendar   I forgot to add, while she's home, what a great time to polish toes, nails and deep condition hair. Sally's has some great choices. 

Trusted Contributor

How about adult coloring books and colored pencils, (along with a sharpener) as something different to do.  

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

couple of months of Netflix or Hulu stuff like that

@jackthebear SUPER idea!  Or if she has an IPhone an Apple gift card for music, books, movies or whatever!  Or if no IPhone an Amazon card for the same--or BOTH???

I think that is the best option of all because she will really have some long days to fill.

Makeup?  If I were home with a sore mouth I'd not want to wear makeup.  Ouch!  

Honored Contributor

@lavendar  How about a facial moisturizer?  As far as makeup -- how about a lip balm from Fresh?

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Thanks. She's fifty three, single and lives alone.

She has Netflix. She's in Brooklyn and her diet is "take out."

She already filled her freezer with ice cream. I suggested pudding in addition.

I would send her flowers but she has two cats who would destroy them.

I'll wait and see if she can eat pears. I send her Harry and David every year.

She won't wear m/u while she's at home. I was going to see if the Laura Geller set of lip gloss and blush is still on sale. She's pale normally; I thought it might be helpful for when she goes back to work.

She'll have a mani pedi and have her hair done right before.

Lip balm is a good idea. The best one I've found is Vaseline with coconut butter. It comes in a jar. Amazon.

Her surgeon thinks she'll be O.K. in a week. Most doctors don't understand that teaching third grade in lower Manhattan is exhausting. She's rarely home before eight at night.

Thanks for everything. Any more suggestions are welcome.

Valued Contributor

@lavendar wrote:

Thanks. She's fifty three, single and lives alone.

She has Netflix. She's in Brooklyn and her diet is "take out."

She already filled her freezer with ice cream. I suggested pudding in addition.

I would send her flowers but she has two cats who would destroy them.

I'll wait and see if she can eat pears. I send her Harry and David every year.

She won't wear m/u while she's at home. I was going to see if the Laura Geller set of lip gloss and blush is still on sale. She's pale normally; I thought it might be helpful for when she goes back to work.

She'll have a mani pedi and have her hair done right before.

Lip balm is a good idea. The best one I've found is Vaseline with coconut butter. It comes in a jar. Amazon.

Her surgeon thinks she'll be O.K. in a week. Most doctors don't understand that teaching third grade in lower Manhattan is exhausting. She's rarely home before eight at night.

Thanks for everything. Any more suggestions are welcome.

@lavendar 

Since you just mentioned her diet is "take out" how about a gift card (or several smaller denomination cards to multiple places) to her favorite take out places, or just a universal type card like a prepaid VISA/MC, that she can use at any restaurant she desires.

Respected Contributor

Laura Geller special is over. I did order of tub of Vaseline with cocoa butter. This is absolutely the best thing and cheapest I've found for chapped lips. It comes in little tins but I prefer the tub.

Respected Contributor

Can anyone suggest some facial wipes. She won't be wearing m/u but she will be tired and on pain meds. She has sensitive eyes. I am giving her some microfiber cloths.

Valued Contributor

send her something with a hood.
sitting for long periods of time, she will probably feel chilly.
it's cold here (around 34 degrees) in the nyc area.

ask her if there is a place that has soup or something else that's easy to eat and whether or not they deliver. if they deliver, you can send her the money to pay for the meals.