Trusted Contributor

Getting a haircut at a beauty school?

Has anyone ever gotten a haircut from a beauty school?  What was your experience like?  Were you happy with the results?  Would you do it again?  How much did you pay?  If you call to make an appointment is there a waiting list or a long wait time?  Also, do you tip in this type of situation?

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Valued Contributor

Re: Getting a haircut at a beauty school?

DH used to go to a nearby beauty school all the time to get his haircuts. They were only $5, no tipping. The cuts were pretty good.

I went once. My hair ended up crooked. The student had to get an instructor to show her how to straighten it up.

No big deal. Crooked haircuts seem to be my fate at Cost Cutters. Woman LOL

My hair ended up looking o.k. and I would have gone back but the school closed shortly after that.

Valued Contributor

If I recall correctly we had to make appointments for haircuts, but you could make appointments for the same day.

Trusted Contributor

I used to get my hair cut at a beauty school all the time when I was in college. It was no big deal because I had long hair that just needed periodic trims. An instructor checks every cut to make sure nothing is missed. I think the prices may vary depending on whether you have a jr or a sr student. I always made an appointment, but you might be able to walk in. Call your local beauty school or check them out on line to find out what their policy and prices are.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stargazer77 wrote:

Has anyone ever gotten a haircut from a beauty school?  What was your experience like?  Were you happy with the results?  Would you do it again?  How much did you pay?  If you call to make an appointment is there a waiting list or a long wait time?  Also, do you tip in this type of situation?

@Stargazer77During the course, students are required to complete "X" amount of haircuts, colors, rinses, perms, updos, manicures, facials, etc..  So when our daughter was in cosmetology school DH and I went often, to help her get her marks - me more than him.  She had regular clients too, people who always went to the school.  These clients would get attached to one student-stylist and as the student was about to graduate, he/she would introduce them to another student-stylist who they could continue with.  If I remember correctly, they were able to take appointments (it also helped the students learn how to use the appointment book process) but they would also take walk-ins and whomever was "up" would get the next client as they arrived.    This was also good training because the student wouldn't know from one time to the next what kind of hair, service, or personality they would be dealing with.  Sometimes the students could let the instructor know what they were missing for marks and they could get a certain client that would help them, especially for perms and less common services.  I'll be honest with you, students that are new to the floor can make some mistakes.  They're learning, right?  The instructors are always nearby keeping watch and can step in whenever needed.  One of my daughter's instructors had a saying, "there are no mistakes, only surprises".  If any "surprises" happen, they can be fixed.  When you make your appointment, be sure to ask for a student-stylist who is nearing the end of her course.  He/she will be more proficient than someone who is new.  Make sure you are satisfied with your consultation portion of your appointment before the student-stylist begins working on  you.  Pictures can help.  And yes, tipping is appreciated.

Honored Contributor

years ago, one of the best cuts of my life was at a beauty school.  Each person is different.

Honored Contributor

I only require a simple cut, actually sometimes I go to a barber, rather than a salon and I got a better cut from a student.   They do take more time and the instructors are very hands-on as well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stargazer77  I used to do this at a brand new Aveda training salon here where I live. It's handled just like any fully equipped salon. I had hair cuts and colors done with absolutely  no problems or worries on my part.  If I recall, the best were the prices as they were lower than a typical salon.  I'd go for it for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

I go to a "beauty school" all the time, but I only get color and blow outs there. I prefer a nail salon for my mani and pedi and I will pay an experienced professional elsewhere for my haircut.

That said, I see men and women getting haircuts there that look OK. Depends on your style, length and how particular you are.

Esteemed Contributor

Considering all the horrible, embarrassing haircuts I've gotten at expensive salons, going to a beauty school couldn't be any worse.  Back in my youth, I went to a beauty school all the time.  Some cuts were good... some not so good.  It's a gamble no matter where you go or how much you spend.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt