Regular Contributor

Gentle facial cleanser that removes all makeup?

Hi Everybody and Happy Holidays !

I know this is a well-worn topic but I need some help.  I am looking for a facial cleanser that is gentle on my sensitive skin but really removes all makeup without the need for a wash cloth  or a second step cleanser.  Maybe I ask for one product to do too much?

I recently purchased Cerave's hydrating cleanser and was surprised at how much of my foundation was still on my skin when I followed up with a toner and cotton round  (I did leave the cleanser on my skin for awhile to allow it to work).  I don't wear eye makeup or mascara so I'm really just looking for a one-step cleanser to clean my skin and remove  foundation and blush without stripping my skin or leaving an oily residue.    I am 55, with somewhat dry skin and have rosacea so want to avoid a product that requires scrubbing or wash cloth.  

Thanks for your help !   

New Contributor

Re: Gentle facial cleanser that removes all makeup?

Try Philosophy's Purity facial cleanser.

Respected Contributor

I use cotton pad with Bioderma and purchase at Beautylish online. I purchase Albolene at my local Walgreens. I use a warm washcloth to remove, but you can use tissue.

Another option for people with Rosacea is Eucerin Redness Relief. This was recommended by my derm. It has been a while since I used it and honestly do not recall how it was at removing makeup. You will not need a washcloth, just the cleanser and water. Drugstore dot com sells Eucerin.

Cerave hydrating cleasner contains ceramides that help restore and maintain skin's barrier and lock in moisture. It's a good thing.

Respected Contributor

Purity Made Simple. Or even gentler, Dr. Young's Camillia cleansing oil. I have very sensitive skin and use both. And both remove my foundation pretty thoroughly.
Honored Contributor

My recommendation would be Dr. Young's Camellia Deep Cleansing Oil (get it on Amazon).   I've been using Dr. Young's Cleansing Oil for a couple of years now and really like it.  It's very gentle and cleanses without stripping.  Some people use it as the first step in a 2-step cleansing ritual, but I use it alone as my PM cleanser.

Honored Contributor

Is mineral oil still sold? Many products that remove makeup contain mineral oil.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

Hi Griffy 

I have been having sucess with Pacifica SeaFoam cleanser . I am 52 but still have sensitive oily acne prone skin. It makes finding a cleanser difficult too . I need something gentle that does not dry me out or leave a film or greasy feel( I triend cerave and cetaphil too)  . I use pumkin seed oil on a cotton pad to remove my eyemakeup and the Pacifica cleanser on my face . They are also a cruelty free brand and many vegan products . They are also sold at Target and on their website if you sign up they give you a coupon code . Good luck in your search . I am als using their serum and moisturizer , really please with them . Happy Holidays

Honored Contributor

I've used Principal Secret Advanced Cleanser for over 20 years. Very gentle and it removes all of my makeup. I buy it directly from her club (over the phone) and I buy several at a time and they ship it to me twice a year. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Regular Contributor

My all time favorite cleanser is Paulas Choice Skin Recovery Cream Cleanser!  It removes all of my makeup with no problem.  

Regular Contributor

I've been using Philosophy's Purity for many years and it works great to remove my make-up. I never use a make-up remover or separate cleanser to remove make-up.

I don't have particularly sensitive skin, but I can't see where it would be irritiating (unelss you are sensitive to one of the ingredients in the cleanser).