Honored Contributor

Re: General question --- How many people here just stick to one lipstick or gloss?

I have three shades. Bold red, neutral-nude and a soft pinky-coral. For me, each one has it's place and time.

Honored Contributor

Re: General question --- How many people here just stick to one lipstick or gloss?

When I find something I like ... I stick with it.  Lots of trial and error, so I came up with a solution for all the "wrong" ones.  I'll stay with a product I like until it's discontinued and then start all over looking for a replacement. 

I took all my wrong choice blushes and bronzers and crushed them into a powder and mixed them together.  I ended up with about a 1/2 cup of powder blush ... and it's a perfect shade.  Not to pink, not too orange ... just right.  (I do have two other blushes that I use when I'm going someplace where I need a bit more "glamour." 

I did the same thing with all the wrong choice eye shadows.  Also - crushed into a powder - 1/2 cup of powder eye shadow in the absolutely perfect smokey brown ... not too dark, not too light.

I used one Almay lipstick for years .. at one time I bought 12 of them from someone on EBay!  They lasted for a few years.  Then, trial and error until I found something at Avon that was perfect.  They were on sale and I bought a bunch.  It's been about 3 years.  I'm estimating that I'll have another year or so before I have to find another color.  

Respected Contributor

I stick with an old L'Oreal blush that works for me, but since I'm seeing pan and it's discontinued, have to either find a replacement or pony up about $50 for old stock on eBay. Once I find the replacement, I'll stick with that until it's discontinued, too.

I use one mascara but am going to try Voluminous to buck up my sparse eyelashes.

I have one eye shadow/liner color, the same shade in an Urban Decay pencil or Maybelline Cool Effects, now discontinued. It works for my eyes. They don't change color, so the offsetting color I use on them doesn't change either. It has nothing to do with my clothing. It's my face.

I have always found lipstick made my lips peel, so I use gloss. I had to abandon gloss a year ago because of lip issues, and now just use Carmex in the pot or currently Vaseline Lip Therapy in a tube. I still have good natural color in my lips so I'm fine with that.

But as someone else here said, when it comes to skin care products, that's a whole nother game.

Respected Contributor

@islandgrrl  I hope that works for you!  Please post and let us know.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm okay with having one or two: blushes, foundation, concealers, powders, brow color.  And only one mascara.  But eyeshadow, eyeliners and lip color are different.  I think I could get by with only a few lip colors, and maybe do that with eyeliners as well, but eyeshadows?  I don't think that's something I would go minimalist with.  Having different shadow options is just too fun!!

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

I can never have just one of anything!  When it comes to lipsticks, I have a bunch, more than what's reasonable, but if I were truthful I'd admit that I don't really wear them all.  I realize it's wasteful that I have some that I open, try a few times, and then there they sit but I'm easily tempted when I can get them at the supermarket.  I don't buy any of the expensive lipsticks ever.  This is something I really need to get a handle on. 

On a whim, I recently tried applying my blush to my lips and then used a very light, barely tinted, gloss over it.  I actually like the results quite a bit.  Maybe there's hope for me yet, that I can get rid of some of the excess.

Honored Contributor

Since I'm getting older I don't use much & only put it on now when I go some place or have company. I like the Je ne sais Quoi lip, have a couple different eyeshadow colors, a coral & a pinkish color blush, foundation, no eyeliner or mascara since my eyes always run. I hate wearing makeup. My eyes look & feel so red & irritated.

Honored Contributor

I love makeup and am a lipstick junkie,I have plenty of everything and rotate all of it.

Frequent Contributor

My sister has been using the same mac powder for the last 23 years....the same color lipstick for the last 8 years.  I wish i was able to do that.  Think of all the money i could of saved.  However, i was excited to actually hit pan with a milani blush.  I have not done that for a long time.  I would always jump from one product to the other, always looking for the next best thing!

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I use, 1 powder, 1 blush, 2 eye shows (only 1 a day though), mascara (sometimes non of that at all), and rarely lipstick, 1 pencil eyeliner. 

@qualitygal

Good for you!  That's awesome.  Makes the routine very simple! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin