Respected Contributor

Gel.Nail.Polish- re:Base+Top Coat=?Brands Interchangeable?

[ Edited ]

Ref:   Gel Nail Polish  

- are the "Gel Base Coat" & "Gel Top Coat" of each Brand, interchangeable, among the Gel Brands?

TIA

Respected Contributor

Re: Gel.Nail.Polish- re:Base+Top Coat=?Brands Interchangeable?

Do you mean in general?  Or the type of gel that you need to use with the lamp?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@santorini wrote:

Do you mean in general?  Or the type of gel that you need to use with the lamp?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@santorini   Thanks for responding.

I guess in general Gel Polish, & "lamp Gel Polish"..

I'm new to "Gel Polish," so still a lot to learn. 

So far, it seems like 99% Gel Polish needs a lamp & Im ready for that

Seems some Gel Polish Brands dont have their own brand of their "Gel Base Coat," or their own "Gel Top Coat."  ....

....  (unless I need to dig even deeper still)

So, I was wondering if I can use:

• "Brand A's   "Gel Base Coat" &  "Gel Top Coat" with
  • "Brand B's   "Colored Gel Nail Polish."

I hope I explained that well enough...

Respected Contributor

Got it.  Good question.  I only asked because some of my regular nail polish uses the word "gel" in the name but it doesn't require a lamp.   I do have a lamp but I haven't bought any new polish or used that method in a couple of years so I'll be interested to hear the answer too.

Trusted Contributor

@MakeUpMaidn wrote:

Ref:   Gel Nail Polish  

- are the "Gel Base Coat" & "Gel Top Coat" of each Brand, interchangeable, among the Gel Brands?

TIA

@MakeUpMaidn I am not getting into the lamp thing Woman Happy, but I have had good luck with Sally Hansen gel polish on my natural nails.  They have quite a few types. 

I have recently been using this:  

MIRACLE GEL® IT TAKES TWO™

2-step system (color + top coat) for an up to 8 day mani!

I have three different ones and I have the one below.  I feel like there isn't a ton of product, but I like having the top coat with it.  It has a nice wide brush, like some other Sally Hansen nail polishes.  In my experience it lasts pretty well on my nails.

Miracle Gel® It Takes Two™ Sugar Fix

To answer your question, I have interchanged top coats with my nail polishes (gel and otherwise).  Again, I am not referring to the ones that require a lamp.

Honored Contributor

Hi, Make Up Maiden, I know nothing about gel polish, I am a natural nails gal and only use regular polish, but I was just wondering how your ebay issue is working out?

Occasional Contributor

HI! I use UV gel polish and use different brands of base, polish, and top coats together. So far, I have not experienced any problems mixing the brands. 

Regular Contributor

@MakeUpMaidn  Finally getting around to responding (oops, and I still need to respond to another post from way back)...

As far as gel polishes that DON'T  require a lamp, I remember reading back when I first became aware of them, that there were different ways in which they worked. With some, their longevity is due to interaction between ingredients in the base/color polish/top coats. For others, the primary ingredient(s) that make them work don't depend on this interaction. 

For polishes that DO require a lamp, there's way, way more involved. I remember listing a few knowledgeable resources that I'm aware of. I would urge you to continue educating yourself. I certainly am no expert, even tho I've learned a lot during the past decade.

Unfortunately, as with any other topic, the information out there runs the gamut from well presented and accurate to outright dangerous. There are many who confidently express their experiences as applying to eveyone. And, let's face it, marketing is just that...emphasize what will sell your product and omit or minimize things that might make the potential buyer think twice.

I don't think we've ever had a discussion regarding the most important reason(s) you're drawn to gel polishes? Also, are you only interested in gel polishes? Or do you expect to also use forms of gel nail enhancements? What about acrylic (actually that's pretty much what dip powder is)?

Me, I awaiting the Young Nails Black Friday Sale. I'll be starting out with one each of the three mystery boxes, plus a couple of things that most likely won't be in them. Then once people start showing the contents, I'll go back in and purchase anything else I still want that's available. Between what I get this year and what I have from last year, I jprobably have enough product to have my own salon!