Trusted Contributor

Gave my hair stylist a serum ❤️

My hair stylist is a super lady. She's quite a bit younger than I am (30) and is pretty as a picture. She complains of her super oily skin. We talk about skin care quite often and I share a lot of my skin care routine with her. So I bought a serum from t.j Maxx that had niacinamide and BHA included. It was too drying for me so I gave it to her. Last Thursday at my appointment, I asked her if she enjoyed it. She said she absolutely loved it! She also told me that if she skips a day using it, she can really tell a difference. She said she used at night and day and would like to know if I could give her any other tips and recommendations on serums and lotions for oily skin. She's concerned about hydration at her age and moving forward with her skin type. So I know that this board is super informed and if anyone could help me with some information on products that she could try, that would be great and I could pass that information on to her. So I think that she would be best pleased with mid-range price products recommendations.

All opinions and recommendations welcome!!
Honored Contributor

Re: Gave my hair stylist a serum ❤️

That's so nice of you to give that to her @Midmod .  Sounds like she thinks a lot of you and respects your opinion.  Looking forward to reading the replies here.  Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I would recommend starting with Dr. Leslie Baumann's book, The Skin Type Solution.

It is excellent in helping learn about your skin and what will work, as well as what to avoid, which saves a lot of frustration and money. While Dr, Baumann's recommends products, she also gives you the information on how to read product labels so you can choose your own.

I believe it was from reading her book I simplified my skincare into 4 steps: cleanse, treat, moisturize & protect, This helped me develop a regimen that limited my product purchases to those that really worked.

I would also recommend to her reading oilcleansingmethoddotcom, where I learned how to balance my skin, and then everything worked better.

Lastly, you might advise her she may not appreciate having oily skin now, but she will be happy not to have the wrinkling later!

Trusted Contributor

Thank you @San Antonio Gal
Well it wasn't helping me and it's better to give than receive right 👍
I did find a Pacifica glycolic acid pad item and a green tea toner product yesterday at TJM I thought she might need/ could use for her skin type but am unsure. There's many posters on this board who help me all the time and I was hoping to help my stylist friend. She admitted to me she's completely uninformed about skincare. Now is the time for her to start for sure at 30! She's a busy Lil Mom of 2 girls'under 10 and I wanted to help her because it's so important she start now so when's she's my age hopefully she won't face some of my issues, especially sun damage. I want to give informed advice about what's right and good for her and this beauty board has a really nice vibe. Everyone here is as enthusiastic as I am about it lol! I never had sisters or daughters and I think I tend to "mom" or " big sister" my younger female friends/ relations lol.
I can't help it. I'm a giver and a nurturer. It's in my DNA.
It makes me happy.
If someone isn't interested I don't push tho. I stay quietly frustrated 😂
Trusted Contributor

Hi @ cantdrive55
That sounds like a good one. Where would I purchase other than Amazon? Ty

Do you like Sammy Hagar or not driving 55?
Sorry. Am naturally curious and a question asker. You don't have to answer.
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Midmod 

💕Sammy Hagar & speeding. I think you are the first poster to get my nick name! 
If you hurry over to eBay, you'll find the book under $10 & free shipping.

Honored Contributor

@cantdrive55 @Midmod  - Love Sammy Haagar.  Love when he joined Van Halen.  They put out some good tunes back then!  I liked Van Halen better with Sammy than David Lee Roth!

Sorry @Midmod  - I know this is OT. 

Trusted Contributor

@cantdrive55

Lastly, you might advise her she may not appreciate having oily skin now, but she will be happy not to have the wrinkling later!

I totally told her that. She was visibly skeptical lol.
Well she's 30 now so I know she'd like help with that oil now. I used to be the same way. Boy I would love oily skin now 😉
Trusted Contributor

@San Antonio Gal
No worries! I was an 80's teen!
Trusted Contributor

@cantdrive55
When I saw your moniker, that song went thru my head!