Honored Contributor

GREAT VIDEO ON AVOIDING AGING MAKEUP

(coming to you from the beach under my umbrerlla): I just watched a good video from Dominique Sachse "Common Beginner Don'ts That Age You"....

Best video I've seen regarding colors and placement.

Honored Contributor

Re: GREAT VIDEO ON AVOIDING AGING MAKEUP

@Shanus - watched most of it and it is a good video.  Thanks for posting it.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus @Thank you! I'm working some of these concepts. I hope I never left the house looking like some of the donts! Yikes!

Respected Contributor

Thanks Shanus! Very interesting! Of course she seems to have perfect skin, which would be helpful and I do not have... 

Esteemed Contributor

Nikol Johnson also just did a youtube video re how to apply makeup for gals over 40. I think Nikol is very pretty, but she does not have perfect skin. She is all about skin prep prior to putting on bb cream/foundation, etc. 

I do enjoy watching these youtube makeup videos that are geared to women over 40 who do now want an over done look for daytime. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@Shanus  Great video! I am over 70 and this is pretty much exactly the way I do my makeup. It's nice to know I'm doing something right for a change! Ha!  

Honored Contributor

This was so helpful!  It made me realize that I might err on the side of less is more.  I have never used face/eye primer or contour.  Eye shadow I have avoided.  I'm creating a shopping list and will be very light handed in application, but I'm on a mission to see if I can incorporate these items and still maintain a natural look only better.  

I have a question about the brow pencil when purchasing the NYX she used.  I have blonde/very light brown eyebrows and have allowed my light hair to grow out.  I have always used a taupe pencil color but I'm considering a soft brown.  Should I stay with the taupe (very natural) or go with the NYX soft brown which will add a little color with the soft strokes. The black eyeliner will be an interesting experiment.

Thank you so much @Shanus ....I'm always pursuing growth and transformation, but have never really considered these concepts to my sparse make-up routine.  I'm looking forward to seeing if these subtle shifts in adding a bit more make-up will add a little step up to my natural look.  Thank you for thinking of us.🌹

Super Contributor

@Shanus  Thanks for sharing this video info. I learned a lot, basically I am a good example of the wrong way. One thing I am not sure of is that lipstick. I think it will wash me out as I have a very pale complexion. What do u think? 

Esteemed Contributor

Good video! I wear concealer, so I have seen other videos that say to go light on it, only applying small dots and then blending. Go easy if using setting powder, also. 

I like that she used elf matte shadow. All my eyeshadows are from elf, mostly small palettes and some sticks and one larger.

I always use primer on eye lids and face. I don't wear blush or foundation because of the problem trying to match colors. 

IMO most women don't look good in red lipstick. It's too harsh, even on someone younger and very few can pull it off. I don't see the need for lip liner for myself, maybe only those who wear lipstick. 

I don't know what she thinks about shimmery shadow. Probably to go easy on that, also. I use some shimmer, but mix it with matte to tone it down.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw   I also use ELF products as I am a proponent of cruelty free products.  I like their ethics, but I also like the products (especially the lip gloss).  It's a win!