Esteemed Contributor

Re: GREAT BEAUTY POINTS ON RMS SHOW

You may not want to use blush at all. Maybe just that soft highlight on your cheekbones, or a bit of contour under your chin. @Shanus ? What do you think?

For me, I don't even think of it as blush. I have an even-toned complexion, and so I do put a bit of shading, just so that I don't look so flat.

In any event, I think face shape (and the statement you are aiming for) has everything to do with placement.

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife   Yep, that's "the aunt look" I meant. LOL

Honored Contributor

@rochelleS wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Carolina925 wrote:

Loved all her tips! Wish she made a good eyeliner, always on the lookout for one of those. I learned that I've been doing it all wrong...since the 80s!

@Carolina925   On her site, the videos show the brow powder, which comes with the flat brush used wet as a liner. It also shows how to shape the eye using the brow powder. I see no real powder shadows. All the looks are done w/ the 3 shades of brow powder and/or the Luminizer.  Quite natural looking.

If Shawn had been quiet and let Rose-Marie speak, the hour could have had more of her suggestions. 

@Shanus @Carolina925 

There are eyeshadows offered on the RMS site. These are currently on sale for $14, marked down from $20. Great reviews with many sharing multiple use on brows and eyeliner. Appears color selections are dwindling. 

Screenshot_20210825-101644_Chrome.jpg

@rochelleS   Yes, since most/all shadows are neutrals, one video suggests the 3 brow shades...

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

You may not want to use blush at all. Maybe just that soft highlight on your cheekbones, or a bit of contour under your chin. @Shanus ? What do you think?

For me, I don't even think of it as blush. I have an even-toned complexion, and so I do put a bit of shading, just so that I don't look so flat.

In any event, I think face shape (and the statement you are aiming for) has everything to do with placement.

@Harpa   Because I'm fair, I do need a bit of color...the palest pink or rose shade. Just highlight/contour wouldn't work for me. I like CT Filmstar Bronze and Glow. It has a slightly pink toned bronzer and a almost non-shimmer highlighter. That's my blush and eye shadow. 

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

RMS also said not to extend blush below the nostrils, good tip. 

@Shellbelle   She did suggest that and I so agree. I don't always think the blush should go on the apples...That's a no for a roundish face. Most of the time, I place it 2 fingers width from the nose so you don't end up with pink spots on your cheeks which looks like my older aunts. 

Do you mean 2 finger widths below the nostril or 2 fingers away from the sides of the nose?

@Shelbelle   I like to apply blush 2 fingers width away from nose which usually ends up right under the pupil of the eye. Then not below the nostrils. I begin the blush at the hairline and sweep towards that spot. That way, most of the product is not applied heavily on the inner cheek area. 

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

Favorite things that she teaches is that matte is akin to an older, dryer look, and to smudge/blot lip liner/lipstick for a plumper, more pretty look.

I don't have anything RMS.

It did leave me thinking that now we'll all be running around looking like VS models! (I didn't think that she, herself, looked like that, though.)

@Harpa  I've always said dewy is better than matte for a more youthful look. VS models? Very few of us would make the "cut".

Trusted Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I didn't see the show but now I'm tempted to go back and watch.  

The 2 finger width away from the nose blush application was a thing back when I first started wearing make-up and I'm 53 years old.  But I specifically remember this advice. 

Something must be misconstrued here because if I didn't wear my blush below my nose, my blush would be a little tiny strip, right under my eyes and would look ridiculous. 

Many make-up artists have said your best make-up tools are your fingers.  There are some foundations/BB/CC creams, concealers and cream/liquid blushes that I much prefer applying with my fingers.  My fingers warm the product up and make the application much better.

Whenever I get a new to me cream or liquid product, I always use a sponge, brush and my fingers to apply to see what method I like better.  A damp sponge definitely sheers a product out, sometimes too much.     

@Lipstickdiva  I agree with you on this.  If all depends if you have a short nose or longer nose.  With a shorter nose, you'd be putting blush over your concealer, under you eyes.

Honored Contributor

After reading some of the posts on this thread, I decided to go back to last night's show and watch a video.  Chose the concealer video.  I just couldn't watch it for more than a minute or two because the host drove me nuts!   Anyway, what I did see demonstrated by the vendor was informative and something I already do.  I won't put myself through watching any more videos, my brain couldn't take it.

Honored Contributor

@decaf wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I didn't see the show but now I'm tempted to go back and watch.  

The 2 finger width away from the nose blush application was a thing back when I first started wearing make-up and I'm 53 years old.  But I specifically remember this advice. 

Something must be misconstrued here because if I didn't wear my blush below my nose, my blush would be a little tiny strip, right under my eyes and would look ridiculous. 

Many make-up artists have said your best make-up tools are your fingers.  There are some foundations/BB/CC creams, concealers and cream/liquid blushes that I much prefer applying with my fingers.  My fingers warm the product up and make the application much better.

Whenever I get a new to me cream or liquid product, I always use a sponge, brush and my fingers to apply to see what method I like better.  A damp sponge definitely sheers a product out, sometimes too much.     

@Lipstickdiva  I agree with you on this.  If all depends if you have a short nose or longer nose.  With a shorter nose, you'd be putting blush over your concealer, under you eyes.

@decaf , yes!!!!  I'm not going to lie, when I went home at lunch I grabbed a clean blush brush and put it even with the bottom of my nose and the brush was on the top of my cheekbone, where most people put highlighter.  I would have to use an eyeshadow brush to apply.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Nothing Rose Marie Swift said last night wasn't said already more than twenty years ago by Bobbi Brown. All of her little hints, I had read over the years in Bobbi Brown's books.

@Trinity11  - I agree! But I do enjoy her shows. She has a nice demeanor, not arrogant/egotistical or condescending. 

I was hoping the powder blush with brush that I had on waitlist from April show that was cancelled by QVC would have been restocked, but it wasn't 😔 I did not shop this visit 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri