Honored Contributor

Re: GREAT BEAUTY BOOK TO SHARE

@TY wrote:

I do have that book and I think it's fun but not all the advice will work for me. The author is blonde and fair so the nude color palette she prefers doesn't work for me as I have dark hair. I do like a no makeup look but it takes a lot of work to get that look in real life. 

I don't often wear gloss but I do keep some in plum shades! I have a nice plum cream blush stick by Annabelle but I generally prefer powder blushes.

@TY  Not all pointers are appropriate for everyone. She says using a primer is essential...not to me...never have used one & not starting now. I also use a little powder blush to set my cream blush and do powder my t zone (summer only). There’s still a lot of info, just not on makeup looks, that I found enlightening.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for sharing, Shanus- just put this on hold at my local library. I don't agree with 'no lipgloss for over 50' as I am 58 with really dry lips. Unless, of course, she's talking about drippy, over-applied, uber-shiny, sticky gloss that catches stray hairs- which IMO doesn't look good on ANYONE!

Honored Contributor

Thanks for sharing @Shanus. For me the women on this beauty forum have provided me with many great suggestions and good advice. It's always nice to know when there's a book to show us how as well.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@BostonMom 59 wrote:

Thanks for sharing, Shanus- just put this on hold at my local library. I don't agree with 'no lipgloss for over 50' as I am 58 with really dry lips. Unless, of course, she's talking about drippy, over-applied, uber-shiny, sticky gloss that catches stray hairs- which IMO doesn't look good on ANYONE!

@BostonMom 59Don’t agree w/ gloss “thing” entirely, but do see her point. She’s suggesting creamy lipsticks over exfoliated lips conditioned w/ balm....no aging matte lips and no “cheerleader glosses”. I’ve always preferred a drop of clear gloss (over lipcolor) just in center of lips for little shine. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Thanks for sharing @Shanus. For me the women on this beauty forum have provided me with many great suggestions and good advice. It's always nice to know when there's a book to show us how as well.Woman Happy

@SilleeMee  Especially enjoyed the sections re: not overdoing makeup which is aging, narrowing down number of steps/products and she even suggests products & colors depending on skin shades.

Not usually blown away by makeup how to books, but this one is good.

Honored Contributor

I know I'm getting older & my makeup etc changes with me. I wear the makeup & clothes I like. I don't care what my age is or if anyone else likes it.

My hair is about shoulder length & that's where it will stay. I will never have a hairstyle which I refer to as an old lady do. IMO it just makes you look older. If you want to wear your hair like that I don't have a problem with it I just don't want mine like that.

I don't wear a lot of makeup anyways. My sister says I look the same after I apply makeup. LOL!!! I only apply it on days I go out or have company. I hate wearing it since it just makes my eyes run.

Valued Contributor

I love lip gloss. I have never been a fan of lipstick at all. Don't know why.  I am 62 and I am not trying to pull off what I looked like at, say 32, but I do want to look nice.  I might try to look at that book just to see if there is anything that I can learn.

My downfall is my skin.  When I was a young girl and early teen I spent way too many hours at the local pool.  I am fair skinned and I would burn to a crisp, peel and then do it again.  I didn't give sunscreen or skin care a thought.  I am lucky that there is no skin cancer but I do have some brown spots and the like that I have to contend with.

Trusted Contributor

@Peaches McPhee  Many thanks!  I couldn't have said it better!

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus

I figure at this time of year when the air is dry I will give cream blushes, contour creams, and cream highlighters a try. I've got nothing to lose and I have a cream blush -- Annabelle in the Berry shade that I like. I'm giving the Covergirl light shade Tru Blend contour, highlight, and bronze cream palette a try. Not sure if I like this Covergirl palette or not.

I do like the inside dish about how those GWP's work. I have never bought those Estee Lauder branded GWPs as they were always a lot more than the exchange rate in Canada -- ie they were overpriced for what they are or were and I simply wasn't going to buy a lot of unwanted makeup in order to get a GWP. The irony is that now that there's only one department store left in Canada -- Hudson's Bay -- I don't see GWPs very often. Other stores that carry EL brands like Shoppers Drug Mart and Sephora and maybe the downtown Nordstrom don't advertise their GWPs and I don't bother to look at their websites in Canada to see if they have any or not because I don't care about GWPs.

Honored Contributor

@hellokitty wrote:

I love lip gloss. I have never been a fan of lipstick at all. Don't know why.  I am 62 and I am not trying to pull off what I looked like at, say 32, but I do want to look nice.  I might try to look at that book just to see if there is anything that I can learn.

My downfall is my skin.  When I was a young girl and early teen I spent way too many hours at the local pool.  I am fair skinned and I would burn to a crisp, peel and then do it again.  I didn't give sunscreen or skin care a thought.  I am lucky that there is no skin cancer but I do have some brown spots and the like that I have to contend with.

@hellokitty. Those of us w/ fair skin have horror tales about severe sunburn.  I did, however, have a “spot” surgically removed and that scared me into daily SPF. In my late 40’s I was treated for the brown spots w/ the Obaji system...no longer available (hydraquinone!). There are drugstore fading creams, but take forever to see results. I saw any other of my darker spots fade with Vit. C serum in morning & RX strength Retin A at night....both exfoliate and fade.