Trusted Contributor

GORGEOUS curls from a styling tool!

My daughter purchased a ceramic curling chamber curling iron from Amazon (brand name of the device is MiraQueen). Anyway........OMG....it gave her the most amazing looking curls! Her hair is right at shoulder length and you just section off small portions of hair and put between the plates, press a button and it takes your hair inside the chamber and wraps it around a ceramic curling iron and then it beeps when it is ready for you to release the button. She has had it a couple of months, but I had never seen it until she brought the kids over to stay with me while she and my son-in-law went to a party. She got ready for the party at my place and I was watching her do her hair. I asked her if her hair had ever gotten caught and tangled while in the device and she said that it had not. She also uses it sometimes on my granddaughters (12 and 8). I just couldn't believe how nice her hair looked (she has thick, straight hair and my granddaughters both have fine, straight hair). When my hair gets a little longer (it's not quite shoulder length yet), I'm going to get me one! It would probably work on my hair now since most likely my hair is long enough to wrap around the chamber inside the tool, but I'll wait until it gets a bit longer to purchase one.

Honored Contributor

Re: GORGEOUS curls from a styling tool!

Thanks for the recommendation. I know there are a few of these types of tools out there. My concern has always been about tangling, too. It's good to hear your DD has never experienced that. My hair is fine long, about to the bottom of my shoulder blades, and I've been thinking about cutting it lately. I don't want real short, but maybe just to take off a few inches and do some kind of loose wave.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/8/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:

Thanks for the recommendation. I know there are a few of these types of tools out there. My concern has always been about tangling, too. It's good to hear your DD has never experienced that. My hair is fine long, about to the bottom of my shoulder blades, and I've been thinking about cutting it lately. I don't want real short, but maybe just to take off a few inches and do some kind of loose wave.

That is what my daughter got............these lovely loose waves. She said you can adjust the temperature and also adjust the time your hair is inside the device. It beeps to let you know is it ready depending on the amount of time you it set for. It sounds like it would take a lot of time, but I guess she has used it so many times that she had done her whole in less than 5 minutes.

Honored Contributor

I saw the Conair brand & wondered if it worked that easy. I have never had any luck trying to style, curl or use styling tools on my hair. This sounds like something that might just work for me. Thanks for posting the review.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/8/2015 Nightowlz said:

I saw the Conair brand & wondered if it worked that easy. I have never had any luck trying to style, curl or use styling tools on my hair. This sounds like something that might just work for me. Thanks for posting the review.

Nightowlz...........she said at first she had bought a cheaper one (don't know if it was Conair brand or not), but didn't like the way her hair turned out, and that yes, once her hair got caught in that one. But with this new one (MiraQueen) brand, she has had no problems and she loves it. I must admit her hair looked beautiful. I've never heard of MiraQueen and neither had she. She said the reason she picked that one, was because it was priced in her budget range and was "Prime Eligible" for 2-day free shipping.

Contributor

I have this one from QVC, haven't used it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlIpsQdTfxs

Regular Contributor

Nitestar,

I looked on Amazon and see that there is one that has a steam setting and one that does not (dry only). Do you know which one has worked so well for your daughter? I love the sounds of this. Thanks for writing about it! Smile

Super Contributor

I have the Conair version and I'm loving it. My hair is growing out so I can donate it again and I needed something to help ease that period where it tends to look SO bad. This is working just fine. I like the 3 curl options and am very happy with this purchase.

If you get it at Bed, Bath & Beyond with one of their 20% off coupons it's only about $80.

Respected Contributor

On 1/8/2015 dionline said:

I have the Conair version and I'm loving it. My hair is growing out so I can donate it again and I needed something to help ease that period where it tends to look SO bad. This is working just fine. I like the 3 curl options and am very happy with this purchase.

If you get it at Bed, Bath & Beyond with one of their 20% off coupons it's only about $80.

Ditto. I too have the Conair and love it. I've never had my hair tangled in the chamber. The key is making certain you take a relatively small strand. Make sure it's completely combed smooth and tangle-free before preparing to place the hair in the curler or it could get tangled in the chamber. However, the chances of that are slim, as the machine beeps to let you know either the hair isn't smoothed enough or you're using a strand too big. So, there's that safety feature on this machine. It won't allow the machine to take your hair if it beeps. You'll get the hang of it quickly.

It's very easy and produces great beachy curls if you alternate how you place hair in the curler in different directions. I will say it probably works best for medium length versus really long hair which might get tedious and harder to maneuver. Even with very thick hair the process goes fast. I found it super easy (& fun).

It's a real transformation in about 20 minutes. If I let my hair go natural I only have to touch up a few areas that tend to fall flat. This takes no time at all & well worth those few minutes for a more uniform curl all over.

You can make it even looser with the setting options, as you've stated above. Or start the curl with longer hair about 3/4's down instead of close to the scalp.

It works best on hair that's 'second or third day' from cleansing. When hair is too clean it's prone to slip around a bit- making it more difficult to place in the curler- especially fine thick hair like mine. Second or 3rd day hair should be product-free or at least all product brushed out well.

The Conair works beautifully for me. This is one of my best purchases when on special at HSN, along with a great brush I use every day. I've had for over a year... probably about 2 years now and wouldn't be without.

Edited- I see you find it easy with really long hair. I still use it and guess I could consider my hair long now. Though I'm waiting for my bangs to grow out just a little longer to get the exact cut I want. A big kudos for donating your hair. Smile

Trusted Contributor

On 1/8/2015 DualCoasts said:

Nitestar,

I looked on Amazon and see that there is one that has a steam setting and one that does not (dry only). Do you know which one has worked so well for your daughter? I love the sounds of this. Thanks for writing about it! Smile

My daughter's does not have the steam option.