Respected Contributor

Peeling? Is it normal for skin to PEEL in the absence of any product use? I associate FLAKING with dry skin. Please enlighten me if this is a normal aspect of unaddressed dry skin.

Otherwise, I think a dermatologist consultation is in order.

Esteemed Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

Peeling? Is it normal for skin to PEEL in the absence of any product use? I associate FLAKING with dry skin. Please enlighten me if this is a normal aspect of unaddressed dry skin.

I don't think OP informed us what else she is doing to make her skin peel & feel dry.

A little while of peeling is "normal" if one is using a skin aggressor (i.e., Retin A, retinol, AHAs....) If the peeling does not subside, then those aggressors are too strong. And all you're doing is tearing up your skin.

Sloughing, is another story. That should be gentle and occurs on a daily basis. You hardly know it's happening. But you do, after time, see its effects. One effect, not being dry skin.

If one is treating for acne, then you want the shedding. But again, I would think you only want that initially, until your skin balances out.

Frequent Contributor

I am surprised no one was using Philosity(sp)  I use alot of their products.  

Respected Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

I don't think OP informed us what else she is doing to make her skin peel & feel dry.

A little while of peeling is "normal" if one is using a skin aggressor (i.e., Retin A, retinol, AHAs....) If the peeling does not subside, then those aggressors are too strong. And all you're doing is tearing up your skin.

Sloughing, is another story. That should be gentle and occurs on a daily basis. You hardly know it's happening. But you do, after time, see its effects. One effect, not being dry skin.

If one is treating for acne, then you want the shedding. But again, I would think you only want that initially, until your skin balances out.

She said to Shanus, "I ordered the Cetaphil exfoliator and facial moisturizing cream.  I am not using any other products on my face." That's why I said a consultation is in order. "Peeling" isn't normal, IMO.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, @noodleann ! I missed that!

Honored Contributor

Re: GOOD FACE MOISTURIZER?

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

I would start by changing to a more gentle cleanser first. Then try to exfoliate the peeling skin. You may not need a new moisturizer after all.

@SilleeMee , I concur with this.  If your cleanser and/or toner is drying out your skin, your moisturizer isn't going to matter.   I've been there, done that.

Also, I would add that if you aren't drinking a lot of water, start.  I saw a big change in my skin when I started to drink an adequate amount of water. 

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

She said to Shanus, "I ordered the Cetaphil exfoliator and facial moisturizing cream.  I am not using any other products on my face." That's why I said a consultation is in order. "Peeling" isn't normal, IMO.

I'm not sure an exfoliating cleanser is what the OP needs, if that is what she ordered.  That may be way too drying on her skin.

Personally, I use Cetaphil as my cleanser in the morning only when I'm not wearing make-up but it doesn't remove my make-up at all.  I'd have to use something before to remove my make-up.  

Honored Contributor

@fortune   I have had great results with Mario Badescu products.  Moisturizers, toners, cleansers, etc.  You can take a questionnaire about your skin and they will suggest products for you.  Very reasonably priced.  Check out his website.  His products are also sold at ULTA, Sephora and Nordstrom.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Thank you everyone for your fabulous suggestions!!!  I sure do appreciate it!!!