Honored Contributor

GLUTEN FREE SKINCARE/MAKEUP?

Is there such a thing & does it matter? I have a client who has celiac and she's requesting all gluten free products. Other than lipsticks which could be injested, would gluten affect her skin. She doesn't know. 

Honored Contributor

Re: GLUTEN FREE SKINCARE/MAKEUP?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

Gluten cannot be absorbed through the skin.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/celiac-disease/expert-answers/celiac-disease/faq-2005...

@SilleeMee   That's what I thought. Her concern was lip products. Any info on that? Are there gluten free lipsticks or she needs to ck. ingredients on each brand? Thank you.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I don't know about any particular brand. But I found this on google:

https://www.gastrocenter.org/our-centers/celiac-center-at-gcc/gluten-free-chapsticks-lip-products/

HTHWoman Happy

Honored Contributor

Thanks @SilleeMee . I'll pass this great info on to her, as wel. 

Frequent Contributor

I want to throw this out there. I have a daughter who is celiac. Understood that gluten in makeup cannot be absorbed and cause a celiac reaction however, if gluten causes irritation on the “inside” why would it not on the “outside”? My daughters eyes became inflamed from mascara that contained gluten. Her scalp was raw from shampoo and conditioner that contained gluten. Lotions caused a red topical reaction to her skin. So, no she did not have joint pain, stomach pain or diarrhea but she did definitely react. FYI-she is biopsy diagnosed at Mayo Clinic Rochester. Her GI doctor agreed she has seen this type of reaction in many patients.
Honored Contributor

If you are alergic to gluten, it makes sense not to use it topically either. The same thing with any ingredient you might be allergic to, like peanuts or strawberries. It's not about ingesting or absorbing it into the bloodstream, it's about your immune system reacting to it. The skin is an important part of your immune system.

https://dermnetnz.org/topics/skin-immune-system/

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because of link to another retailer

Honored Contributor

As mentioned in that Mayo link I posted...if there are skin issues caused from using a topical product containing gluten, then that is not necessarily associated to celiac disease and might just be an allergy or sensitivity to it, unrelated to the celiac problem that might already exist or not.

Honored Contributor

I have no senstivities, but my favorite lipstick brand is gluten-free. I have many of them. They also have other makeup.

Red Apple Lipstick.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland