Honored Contributor

Re: GIVEN UP SMOKEY EYES AT 70

[ Edited ]

Please note: For anyone who does not know me, I’m a makeup artist who studied and worked with Bobbi Brown. After that stint, became a freelance artist for most high end cosmetic lines at dept. stores. I now work part time...mostly brides, prom, and local catalogue photography shoots.

Respected Contributor

A light touch of shadow has always been my best look, pale shade  all over lid with a little darker shade in the crease and outer corner.

Respected Contributor

Thanks, but have soooooo many dark spots I’d need to

drink the stuff. I live with it.

@Shanus wrote:

@IMW wrote:

At 67 1/2 I still use eye shadow. I keep it very lightly

applied. I use Clinique or Revlon matte soft brown and a pale gray or soft blue. I use the Belle eyeliner in black and a pencil under the eye. Mascara is used only for very special occasions since it bothers my eyes.

I don’t use concealer under my eyes, no dark circles, but beginning to Have puffiness.

Use Velvet Skin Coat by DHC primer, It non illuminating 

foundation, Clinique blush and Laura Geller baked blush.

@IMW   Love that you’re proud to add 1/2 o 67. Your makeup sounds like a flattering look. No need for concealer? Lucky you. 

Respected Contributor

I'm 64. Stopped wearing eyeshadw a few weeks ago, mostly because of time. Well, Sunday morning I decided to put on some shadow while getting ready for church...OMG! I looked like I had two black eyes...and the shadow wasn't especially dark, either. It was my "usual" look, but seemed so harsh!

So...I think I'll just stick with liner & mascara...I use mostly dark brown liner, occasionally taupe or even navy, very rarely will I use black. Mascara is always black. I finally found some liners that don't need a primer, so that's a plus too.

I've tried dusting my lids very lightly with just a pale nude or beige shadow--that works nicely to make me look a little fresher and more awake when I feel the need.

Esteemed Contributor

Good for you, @Shanus ! I bet you look much younger and more refreshed!

I never got into the smokey eye. But my eye shape is okay for it. You got to go with your eye shape, too! And pray tell, what possible event would I ever need to do smokey eye, where I would look either skeletal or had a boxing match with a kangaroo!?

Honored Contributor

57 and only about a month ago gave up eyeshadow.  Allergies were bad in March so I stopped for a few days then went back to it.  Finally asked myself why?  So now only a bit of brown eyeliner and mascara.  Scary how much extra time I have in the a.m.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@Shanus  For myself, I'm beginning to like the brown-bag-with-two-eye-holes-cut-out, look.   

Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

i am also 70 and just this year i have decided not to wear any shadow anymore.   seems as though every dang shadow i tried was  all of a sudden causing my eyes to get red and watery.  thought it was fragrance, but even fragrance free shadows were giving me grief.  finally just gave it up all together.  YAY!  so now i only use Mally shadow stick as a liner on my waterline (it is the only thing that does not make my eyes red and watery) 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I gave up the smokey eye look long time ago.  I am 69.  Less is MORE.  Tinted moisturizer, a little blush, dark brown mascara and sometimes a little eye shadow (a swipe) to open the eye and always lipstick or lipstick balm.  A vanilla eye shadow will open the eye but go lightly.  Sometimes I don't use the mascara.  I see a few women in my building that are in their 80's using black eyeliner top and bottom and look absolutely horrible.  Even for evening wear, drop the black eyeliner -- just too heavy looking.  Dark brown or dark gray will work so much better.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@2blonde I HAVE to smile.  I takes the jowls away!  Rolling on the Floor Laughing on Facebook 3.1

@2blonde wrote:

@Shanus   My problem is the only time I have lines under my eyes is when I smile (I should stop doing that!).