Respected Contributor

Re: GIVEN UP SMOKEY EYES AT 70

@Shanus, thanks for the tip regarding no sunscreen for evening photography! 

I find that my eye shadow disappears after a couple hours of wear anyway so what I usualy do is smudge some eye shadow just on top of my eye liner to soften it up a bit.  And mascara, of course. 

Honored Contributor

The ghostly cast from makeup, and some other products, you sometimes see in photos is called 'flashback'.  Some brands will post in their descriptions that theirs don't cause it. @Shanus 

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus   I've always thought of a smokey eye as both top and bottom of eye having shadow and liner, very smudged out.  For myself, I only apply shadow on the upper lid, tightlining upper rim regularly and gel lining when I want a more polished look - sans anything on the lower lid, not even mascara.  This was actually demonstrated on me by a Bobbi Brown artist years ago and explained that for my large eyes, this was a much fresher look.  I agreed.

I will, however, indulge in a smokey eye look (much heavier, darker shadows) for a more dressed up look - again, barely using anything on lower eye.  Maybe just a soft line of gold powder if anything.  

And yes, I learned about the spf flashback in photos YEARS ago.  I could never understand why when in a group shot, only MY face was bright white!!  I was always told by artists it had to do with finishing powder (which I DO NOT use) and had to figure it out on my own.  This will happen whether you use a layer of sunscreen (which I do routinely) OR if you wear a foundation containing spf.  This was when I discovered NARS sheer glow foundation - a staple in my cosmetic arsenal when I know photo ops will be in order for the occasion.

I like your ultimate choice with the bone, vanilla and shdes of grey w/brown liner definition.  Sounds like a winner!

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@Shanus   I'm 70, and I gave up that look more than 10 years ago!  I have very thin skin and deeper set eyes.  As time passed, the area around my eyes got darker and darker (mostly reddish purple with some dark blue veins in the inside corners).

Applying makeup used to take me a max of 10 minutes.  These days, if I do it right, it takes closer to a half hour.  I have to first start with a clean palate, so I apply a thin brightener under my eyes (careful not to emphasize tiny lines) and an opaque shadow primer over my entire upper eye area.  This is just to make me look like I don't have two black eyes.

After that, I can use whatever colors i want, and they will show up as the true colors they are.  If I didn't do that first, nothing would even show up on me.  Since I have almost no eyebrows or lips left.......well you can see why it takes me so long to look human!

@2blonde   I definitely relate and also love beginning with an even, clean palette. I use a corrector instead of brightener under my eyes before a concealer. It has a peach/pink tone that cancels out the darkness before concealer. I have 2 shades of concealer...one lighter for under eyes and one that matches my foundation to touch up redness around my nose and any sun spots. I do this AFTER my tinted moisturizer (daily foundation choice) or after Foundation Stick when doing a full face for an occasion or night out. Then a finely milled setting powder lightly with small fluffy brush to set concealer under eyes and larger fluffy brush to set t zone. 

Fine lines under eyes at 70 are expected. We’ll go nuts trying to cover or avoid them. Use a good eye cream and let it set before corrector/concealer or your brightener. I’d rather have a few lines than the darkness. Anyone who gets that close to examine those little imperfections is invading my personal space...DH excluded. Everyone else back up about a foot.

Honored Contributor

@Suzeecat wrote:

@Shanus, thanks for the tip regarding no sunscreen for evening photography! 

I find that my eye shadow disappears after a couple hours of wear anyway so what I usualy do is smudge some eye shadow just on top of my eye liner to soften it up a bit.  And mascara, of course. 

@Suzeecat  Have you tried an eyeshadow primer? Some are available in skin tone or light shades that can sub as shadow. Love going over liner w/ shadow to soften it. It also “sets” it. 

Honored Contributor

I am 64 and have pretty much given up wearing any eye makeup---so no smokey eye for me---however I do still wear Blurry eye----Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@Shanus   My problem is the only time I have lines under my eyes is when I smile (I should stop doing that!).  I hate thick makeup, so I just use lots and lots of moisturizer, then the concealers/brighteners just where needed, then I dust Laura Geller's Balance and Brighten Illumination all over my face.  I then add the pressed blush, shadows, liners, mascara, lips, and brow pencils (in that order).  Whew!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@fitfuninformed wrote:

@Shanus   I've always thought of a smokey eye as both top and bottom of eye having shadow and liner, very smudged out.  For myself, I only apply shadow on the upper lid, tightlining upper rim regularly and gel lining when I want a more polished look - sans anything on the lower lid, not even mascara.  This was actually demonstrated on me by a Bobbi Brown artist years ago and explained that for my large eyes, this was a much fresher look.  I agreed.

I will, however, indulge in a smokey eye look (much heavier, darker shadows) for a more dressed up look - again, barely using anything on lower eye.  Maybe just a soft line of gold powder if anything.  

And yes, I learned about the spf flashback in photos YEARS ago.  I could never understand why when in a group shot, only MY face was bright white!!  I was always told by artists it had to do with finishing powder (which I DO NOT use) and had to figure it out on my own.  This will happen whether you use a layer of sunscreen (which I do routinely) OR if you wear a foundation containing spf.  This was when I discovered NARS sheer glow foundation - a staple in my cosmetic arsenal when I know photo ops will be in order for the occasion.

I like your ultimate choice with the bone, vanilla and shdes of grey w/brown liner definition.  Sounds like a winner!

@fitfuninformed   As we age, our eyes, brows and lips lose definition. As far as liner on the bottom, unless you have very dark areas under the eyes that are not covered w/ concealer, I think a light shade of shadow to line the bottom lid balances out whatever you did on the top. Sometimes, without anything underneath, the eye may look top heavy or unfinished. It’s an individual choice. 

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I am 64 and have pretty much given up wearing any eye makeup---so no smokey eye for me---however I do still wear Blurry eye----Woman Very Happy

@wagirl   Blurry eye?

Honored Contributor

@Shanus-----come on--you know, tired blurry eyes-------not from disease just from the busy days we all have-----I thought it was funny??!!! Maybe not-----