Respected Contributor

Re: GIVEN UP SMOKEY EYES AT 70

@ItsME   Good point!   Man LOL

Laura loves cats!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I'm in my 60's, but I still enjoy wearing eye makeup.  My eyes don't appreciate it so much, but that didn't happen until I stopped wearing makeup on a daily basis.  I really only wear full eye makup on Sundays for church.  The few days I do wear any nakeup at all, sometime with and sometimes without eye makeup, is reserved for shopping, meeting friends for lunch, or group activites.  

I'm with the person who said they though of a smoky eye as being both above and a little below the eye.  Because I have such round eyes that really doesn't work too well for me.  In fact, I even line my lower eyelid from above but right in the lash line.  Any liner, no matter how hard I would try to get it in the lash line, if applied from below just looks like my makeup is running and serves to make my eyes look even rounder than they are.  The absolutely last thing I want is for my eyes to look like the lady's below.  And hers often look even worse because it doesn't stay in place.  And that IS what mine would look like lined from below.

I still enjoy playing with shadow, and I don't fear darker ones, but I do tend to stay with the same colors (navy, plums, greys, browns).  If I'm going light on the makeup I'll just use  gel pencil to line my eyes exactly.  If i'm using darker colors, I extend the shadow out a little and do a little bit of a cat eye.  Once again, because of the roundness of my eyes, I can't do a full blown cat eye, but I can extend up and out just a bit.  

I do need to get some of those glasses for applying eye makeup though.  Even with a little magnifying mirror, I have a hard time seeing to do my right eye.

Dingell Eyes.jpg  

Esteemed Contributor

A smokey eye look doesn't work on me either. I don't have enough lid space, have hooding on my eyelids and texture above my lids so I prefer a neutral shadow palette very lightly applied and prefer mascara and curled lashes. My lashes and brows are dark to begin with though so I don't need eyeliner either.

Honored Contributor

I have not put on a smokey eye in years, at 68 I prefer a natural looking , not made up looking eye. I usually only wear mascara and bare minerals loose eye shadow in the crease, in coastline or copper, I have hazel eyes.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Please note: For anyone who does not know me, I’m a makeup artist who studied and worked with Bobbi Brown. After that stint, became a freelance artist for most high end cosmetic lines at dept. stores. I now work part time...mostly brides, prom, and local catalogue photography shoots.

@Shanus,  I judge the best technique for me and not for anyone else. My credentials are my experience with looking in the mirror.

I look best with a modified smokey eye. A llittle smudged out at the corners for emphasis.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I have worn really dark brown shadow for years and loved it, but have given it up recently.  I started to not like the look, moved to a medium brown and now just use a swipe of light brown. I sometimes like to wear just mascara and a little liner also.  

Trusted Contributor

@ShanusHi. Before giving up, why don't you try looking on YouTube for "makeup for mature eyes?" There are a ton of videos showing how to do all sorts of eye looks in your age bracket. Women, only a couple of years younger than you have channels there that are invaluable for getting the makeup just right. I've even seen videos of women older than you wearing a type of smokey eye. So, don't give up!!  :-)

There is one woman in particular named Kerry-Lou you should check out. Also, a video called "Mother of the Bride Makeup Application - Brown Smokey Eye"! This video is by Angie Di Battista. HTH

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

It has nothing to do with age as to why I don't do a smoky eye. I never really looked good with one because my eyes are relatively deep set and if I tried it, I always felt like I looked like someone socked me in the eye..

Anyone with a wrinkled eye lid, dark circles or a hooded eye, I would proceed with caution. I have seen women of all ages look strange with a smoky eye.

I have used Smoky Eye Mascara by Bobbi Brown Cosmetics but that is as close to smoky eye I would get...

Honored Contributor

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@ShanusHi. Before giving up, why don't you try looking on YouTube for "makeup for mature eyes?" There are a ton of videos showing how to do all sorts of eye looks in your age bracket. Women, only a couple of years younger than you have channels there that are invaluable for getting the makeup just right. I've even seen videos of women older than you wearing a type of smokey eye. So, don't give up!!  :-)

There is one woman in particular named Kerry-Lou you should check out. Also, a video called "Mother of the Bride Makeup Application - Brown Smokey Eye"! This video is by Angie Di Battista. HTH

@Mimi 1883   Thanks for the recommendation, but if I don’t know the ins and outs of eye makeup by now, I never will....

Valued Contributor

@Shanus, I’m 52 and am totally with you on this. I have small deep set eyes with dark circles and Smokey eyes never did me any favors regardless of the colors I used. You mentioned bridal makeup and I always think that’s one of the more flattering approaches regardless of age.