Honored Contributor

The “Smokey Eye” is no longer a good look for me. I’ve been working on myself, trying to perfect a lighter version w/ greys, purples, etc., but I still look like two holes in a bed sheet or worse... that I got punched in the eye. 

I have a dressy event this weekend and will be applying “full face” (hate it, but sometimes appropriate). I will be wearing a natural, but more defined and less dramatic eye look...much softer and better suited to my fair skin, silver/white hair (uh, no color except darker eyebrows & green eyes). 

Yes, more of the bridal look I use on clients. Pictures will be taken at night, so no foundation w/ spf. I look ghostly enough. Did you know some spfs will white you out in photos? Take a selfie with and without. Frightening! I use a mineral spf on my photo shoots during the day...no physical blocks like zinc oxide, etc. 

Anyone in my age group given up on darker Smokey Eyes and/or come up with alternatives to share? 

Trusted Contributor

Re: GIVEN UP SMOKEY EYES AT 70

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

The “Smokey Eye” is no longer a good look for me. I’ve been working on myself, trying to perfect a lighter version w/ greys, purples, etc., but I still look like two holes in a bed sheet or worse... that I got punched in the eye. 

I have a dressy event this weekend and will be applying “full face” (hate it, but sometimes appropriate). I will be wearing a natural, but more defined and less dramatic eye look...much softer and better suited to my fair skin, silver/white hair (uh, no color except darker eyebrows & green eyes). 

Yes, more of the bridal look I use on clients. Pictures will be taken at night, so no foundation w/ spf. I look ghostly enough. Did you know some spfs will white you out in photos? Take a selfie with and without. Frightening! I use a mineral spf on my photo shoots during the day...no physical blocks like zinc oxide, etc. 

Anyone in my age group given up on darker Smokey Eyes and/or come up with alternatives to share? 

I have also stopped wearing Eyeshadow. I feel that I look much better with just eyeliner and mascarra. Maybe once in awhile I'll use a light dusting of shadow, but the smokey eye on me has proved to be a disaster, especially after viewing my pictures. LOL

Open my heart and you will see, engraved inside, Italy - Robert Browning
Respected Contributor

I am 73 and yes, gave up the smokey eye in my sixties when I realized it was doing me no favors anymore!

I prefer a soft mauve-y grey eyeshadow, pale pink/lilac, soft vanilla, and always a liner in grey or navy or both, plus mascara to define my older but still pretty eyes.

A brighter lipstick is my friend - rose, rose-reds, brighter pinks, even plums/lavenders.  I can't do coral or peach as they make my look sick, am very fair with pink undertones. 

I now shop for exciting new lipsticks instead of eye shadows!  Am loving La Romanesque by Chanel in a soft matte formulation this spring and have tossed all pale lilpsticks, brownish lipsticks, nudes.  Clinique's matte pop line is also great.  Pop Rose!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lisa Eldridge- YouTube: Lancome's global makeup artist is the best artist. 

Various techniques for the older woman. Her soothing English accent. 

For anyone interested: Lisa,  Marilyn Monroe, iconic makeup look fun seeing.

Shares the secrets Marilyn's makeup artist used. Indeed, Magnificent. 

Elizabeth Taylor and Princess Diana's iconic looks, and several celebrities.

Lisa is beautiful herself. I have yet to see anyone come close to her talent. 

In the 90's Lisa actually did Elizabeth's makeup and shares the experience.

For more information Lisa not only has a YouTube channel published books.

Honored Contributor

I'm 63 and Asian so the smokey eye look has always worked for me. I like that it makes my upper lids not look so heavy. I don't wear the look that often but only sometimes. Geishas have been wearing a form of smokey eye for eons.

Honored Contributor

I just turned 60 in January, and I no longer wear eyeshadow...I do not have hooded eyes at all and I actually stopped wearing eye shadow a couple of years ago. 

I like the look on me with just eyeliner and mascara. I don't think it is necessarily an age thing, but more on how you feel personally..My daughter who is in her 30's loves a smoky eye and she looks great in a smoky eye. But no longer for me.....

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

I'm 60 and feel the same. The key is technique for each individual. More than one type of smokey eye look. Imagine yours is lovely. Not one size fits all. 

Honored Contributor

I decided on bone, vanilla, pale grey on lid, dark brown gel liner between upper lashes and upper waterline. No crease shade. I use a deeper grey shadow with fine brush to line top lid pressing into lashes...not really visible, but gives definition. This shade of grey also lines the outer third of lower lash line and smudged. Mascara on top lashes only. 

Those that replied, so far, have great looks!!! 😀

Respected Contributor

@Shanus   I'm 70, and I gave up that look more than 10 years ago!  I have very thin skin and deeper set eyes.  As time passed, the area around my eyes got darker and darker (mostly reddish purple with some dark blue veins in the inside corners).

Applying makeup used to take me a max of 10 minutes.  These days, if I do it right, it takes closer to a half hour.  I have to first start with a clean palate, so I apply a thin brightener under my eyes (careful not to emphasize tiny lines) and an opaque shadow primer over my entire upper eye area.  This is just to make me look like I don't have two black eyes.

After that, I can use whatever colors i want, and they will show up as the true colors they are.  If I didn't do that first, nothing would even show up on me.  Since I have almost no eyebrows or lips left.......well you can see why it takes me so long to look human!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

It's not just an age thing, but keeping your look modern and appropriate.

I too love Lisa Eldridge videos and suggestions and have used many of them.  I learned how to do a great lip from her, how to make it last and not bleed, what colors to choose, etc.  She also has good ideas for makeup for mature women that make you look polished but not overdone.