Honored Contributor

GAVE UP PERFECT FORMULA

[ Edited ]

I had my first manicure ever in desperation since my nails were in bad shape even though I'd used Perfect Formula for years. While it was on, my nails seemed OK, but when I removed it, my nails were dry, cracked, white spots and ridges. 

The nail tech said that these products are still considered a gel and will after time prevent the nail/cuticle area from receiving moisture from lotions and oils I've been applying. She gave me a manicure...buffing out the ridges, doing the cuticles...no cutting, just pushing back. I didn't know that if you begin to just push them back, they eventually stop forming by themselves on the nail.

So, for a the last few weeks, I've followed her routine of pushing back cuticles w/ corner of towel while hands are still soapy, cover w/ lotion when dry and apply oil at night (always did that part). The remover w/ acetone needed to remove the Perfect Formula was also damaging. 

My nails are looking much better. No yellowing, no ridges, splitting, peeling or breaking. They're getting stronger from the cuticle area where they grow. 

I buff them weekly when I cut/file, so they have a healthy, natural shine.

Honored Contributor

Glad you gave it up, it contains formaldehyde!!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus @I have never had a manicure and my nails are bad too.I think I will follow your lead and see if I can have nicer looking nails too.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Shanus @I have never had a manicure and my nails are bad too.I think I will follow your lead and see if I can have nicer looking nails too.

@dex   The nail tech was shocked I'd never had my nails done. In my profession, need to keep them filed short and colored polish would be pointless....gone in a day.

I learned a lot about the actual growth process of the nail and that the metal tool I used to push back cuticles was harmful to the nail bed. She changed me to a wooden stick...less damaging. The best hour I've spent on myself in awhile. Enjoy it.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus I have never been the type for extra pampering but I think my time has come.Thanks.

Valued Contributor

I liked the Perfect Formula presentation but found it was terrible for my nails.  Made them dry and peel even worse.  Looked so good on TV that I really wanted it to work.  

Respected Contributor

I love Pink Gel Coat, but it's a nail hardener with protein and can turn nails dry and brittle with prolonged use. Maintaining a healthy moisture level is crucial, especially in the winter.

I have multiple base coats that do different things. I have some that are moisturizing, some that are ridge filling, some that have extra protein to fix damage, etc. I use Pink Gel Coat when I want no color or wear a sheer polish because I love the optical brightening effect of the pink gel coat. If my nails are healthy, I alternate between the moisturizing base coat and protein bases like Pink Gel Coat to help prevent the drying effects.

I add argan oil and/or vitamin E oil to my nail polish remover and if I'm wearing a cream, shimmer, or holo polish, I use EllaMila's unscented soy polish remover, which is very moisturizing. (It doesn't do well with glitter or flakes.)

I try to take one day off a week where I wear no polish and use a nail oil throughout the day. (I make my own with 3/4 jojoba oil and 1/4 vitamin e oil.) I also love Josie Maran body butter on my hands because I've noticed it does great things for my nails.

Frequent Contributor

Good for you. I found Perfect Formula did nothing for my own nails. My nails were neither stronge and  the polish didn't last any longer than regular polish. Very disappointing.