Respected Contributor

Re: Frizz leave-in product for straight gray hair that is colored

[ Edited ]

@SHESNTN, I am going to look into Rusk Sheer Brilliance, too.  Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg  I also have past shoulder length silver grey hair.  It is slightly curly/ wavey and tends to be dry no matter how much I moisturize it.  I rarely use heat styling tools for that reason and let it dry naturally as well.

This Nick Chavez  product has been a God send to me!  It has a 5 star rating and for good cause. It makes my dry silver hair... soft, pliable and shiny with no oil or greasy feeling.  My hair is also fine  so anything greasy does not work, but, this product is AWESOME!!!

A274168
Nick Chavez Supersize Velvet Mesquite 4 oz. Serum

a274168.jpg

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden, thank you!  The reviews are stellar for this product!

Honored Contributor

I probably haven't had enough coffee yet this morning, but I don't understand the reason for coloring the roots of gray hair. Isn't one of the touted benefits of gray that you don't have to color it?

About frizz on straight hair: You do really have to be careful to find an anti-frizz product that is light enough not weigh down your hair because most such products, as another poster pointed out, are made for curly hair.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Ainhisg  I just tried the Garnier Sleek and SAhine and after 3 days, I'm still impressed.

I have colored hair that is mostly going gray/white and I live in a high humidity area. No issues w/frizz;  my hair is long (middle of back).

Also, my dermatitis has NOT acted up-a big A+ in my book.

Cost is reasonable, so I recomend this product as well.

Respected Contributor

@maestra, are you using the leave in conditioner? Are you using other products from the line?

Respected Contributor

@Ainhisg  No,the only product from this line that I've tried has been Sleek and Shine Serum.

I use Redkin color protect shampoo and conditioner. My skin can become very reactive, even on my scalp, so I stay w/products that work and dont mess w/my skin.

Honored Contributor

Jhirmak Silver Brightening Miracle Leave-in Conditioning Treatment  (5 in 1 formula)  - or -

John Frieda Frizz EAse Extra Strength 6 Effects Serum (silk protein and added control.  "Eliminates Frizz, Humidity Protection, Heat Protection, Smooths, Hyrates, Tames (apply to wet hair).

Respected Contributor

All frizz is from porous hair that soaks in water vapor from the air.  First of all, wash it as little as possible because the natural oils seal the cuticle from humidity.  Freshly washed hair opens the cuticle.

Use a cleansing conditioner that doesn’t strip the oils, then a light anti frizz product ( last summer I used John Frieda 3 days straight, with a Moroccan oil mixed in, pretty good).i blow dry and run the flat iron through briskly, which seals the cuticle somewhat. 

Then top it off with anti frizz hairspray.  My hair didn’t frizz too badly however the humidity brings back the waves and curls. Not good, I don’t have pretty ringlets or anything-

Last summer I used a Redken spray but I just ordered from HSN Tweak-D anti frizz spray. The guy who makes it had another line and I used his spray called Tunu and it was awesome to prevent frizz. Now his line is called Tweak-D, and he has a new spray!  HSN has no shipping on hair care today... Hats help too!  It’s a constant battle unfortunately. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Ainhisg

Gray hair whether colored or not can tend to be porous and prone to frizz.

I find my Conair straightening hair dryer useful but not totally effective against frizz. I also have long hair to my bra strap. What has helped is a Conair straightening paddle brush with the ionization ports in them - not the smaller travel size Conair paddle brush without the ion ports.

From Pinterest

Infiniti Pro By Conair Diamond Infused Hot Paddle Brush

Image result for Conair professional straightener paddle brush

You can find this at the drugstore or places like Target and Walmart.

This heated paddle brush is not a hair dryer, it has hot plates but also has silicone as well as metal bristles. This brush has 3 heat settings. I've had my brush for a year and a half and it's my HG to get my hair pretty straight without frizz. I prefer it to any flat iron as I'm a klutz with a flat iron. The paddle brush is easy to use and gets your hair straight and tames the frizzies without making your hair look like it was flat ironed poker straight. The straightness with the Conair paddle brush is a more natural look.