Respected Contributor

Frizz leave-in product for straight gray hair that is colored

I have searched the forum for threads on frizz products for straight hair but haven't found many.  I have shoulder length mostly straight, thin, coarse gray hair that is professionally colored every 5 weeks.  When I started getting a lot of wiry gray, my hair started frizzing even worse than usual.  My hairdresser started giving me Keratin treatments, which were a godsend.  That being said, they have been hard on my hair (some breakage), and we are discontinuing them for awhile.   I use Pureology hydrate shampoo and conditioner ($$$-ouch!).  Between professional products and salon visits, I am already spending literally a small fortune on my hair.

Is there a drugstore or product from Sally's Beauty Supply that I could put on my hair after I shower that will tame the frizz?  It doesn't matter if I blow-dry or let my hair air dry, it will frizz.  The only thing that will tame it is a flat iron, and I would really just like to be able to blow it dry without the extra flat-iron step.  Thank you for any advice or product recommendations.  PS...I tried Dr. Dray's tip of using an old t-shirt to dry my hair, and that has helped a little.

Honored Contributor

Re: Frizz leave-in product for straight gray hair that is colored

@Ainhisgwrote:

I have searched the forum for threads on frizz products for straight hair but haven't found many.  I have shoulder length mostly straight, thin, coarse gray hair that is professionally colored every 5 weeks.  When I started getting a lot of wiry gray, my hair started frizzing even worse than usual.  My hairdresser started giving me Keratin treatments, which were a godsend.  That being said, they have been hard on my hair (some breakage), and we are discontinuing them for awhile.   I use Pureology hydrate shampoo and conditioner ($$$-ouch!).  Between professional products and salon visits, I am already spending literally a small fortune on my hair.

Is there a drugstore or product from Sally's Beauty Supply that I could put on my hair after I shower that will tame the frizz?  It doesn't matter if I blow-dry or let my hair air dry, it will frizz.  The only thing that will tame it is a flat iron, and I would really just like to be able to blow it dry without the extra flat-iron step.  Thank you for any advice or product recommendations.  PS...I tried Dr. Dray's tip of using an old t-shirt to dry my hair, and that has helped a little.

@Ainhisg  My hair is curly, not straight, but frizz can also become a problem. It comes from dehydrated hair that’s drawing any moisture it can get from the air.

Try weekly deep conditioning (Shea Moisture is a good one....drugstore). I also use a leave in conditioner. A microfiber towel gets moisture out w/ less damage. Unfortunately, the flat iron is adding more damage & more frizz.

Be sure you always use a heat protectant spray before blow drying and flat iron. Use heat as little as possible and wash hair much less often. Scalp oils that build up between shampooing are good.

When finished styling, a drop of argan oil (or one you like) will smoothe flyaways. Never use frizz serums that contain silicones...coat hair and cause dryness. 

It sounds like the grey hair itself, frequent coloring, keratin treatments, heat styling are all culprits. Ask your stylist about professional deep conditioning treatments while at your appts.

Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg................................................the best anti frizz I have found is Garnier Fructis  Sleek and Shine Leave In Conditioner.  It is not expensive and you can get it almost anywhere, Walmart, Walgreens, etc.  I use it all the time.   I apply it after shampooing and leave it in.  Never found any other product that tamed my frizzy, curly gray hair.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Occasional Contributor

I'd highly suggest Rusk Sheer Brilliance.  It's a clear serum that you apply after you've blow dryed. It only takes a small dot in your hand that you run through your hair--light touch is all you need.  I use every single day & it makes a huge difference without weighing hair down, making it oily etc.  Just a dot is all you need to work through your hair every day. It tames the frizz & also makes your hair shine. 

It's reasonalbly priced ($10-12) and can be found at Ulta, Sephora Amazon, beauty salons, some department stores etc.  It tames the flyaways & I've used it many years.  There are other products like this in drug stores, but they absoutley aren't the same.

Try Rusk Sheer Brilliance & I believe it will work great for you, Hope this suggestion is helpful.  

Regular Contributor

Be sure that you're getting your hair cut with scissors only  Don't let them razor cut your hair. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@felixmomwrote:

Be sure that you're getting your hair cut with scissors only  Don't let them razor cut your hair. Good luck.

@felixmom  That’s a definite...leaves ragged edges. I had a stylist that used a razor just once.

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg  I agree with Shanus, but want to add that you are having problems finding information about straight frizzy hair because it is an uncommon problem.

Straight hair usually has  a tight cuticle and lays flat and is not frizzy.  Your cuticle has been lifited too many times with hair color and other products and you have breakage which is causing short pieces of hair to stick out.

Your hairdresser should only be coloring your gray roots and not the rest of your hair eveytime you go for color.  She should not be pulling the color through the hair to the ends.  Because you wear your hair on the longer side, your color could be fading on the ends and she feels they need refreshed, which is standard, but not every five weeks.

If it were me, i’d start getting trims more often to get rid of the dry damaged hair and then be really careful about not damaging the rest.  Always use a heat protecting spray on your hair before you blow dry or use a flat iron.  Cover your hair in the sun.

Nexxus maxes a product called Humectress that can be purchased at Costco, some drugs stores, grocery stores and Amazon.  This product can be used like a conditioner after washing and it can also be rubbed on the hands and smoothed through the hair as often as necessary.  It Is really great stuff and used to only be sold only through beauty salons. It is moisture for your hair, but it is not greasy or oily and will not ruin anything you put your head on like pillowcases or furniture.  It has a nice smell too.

It calms the frizzies and is actually good for your hair and causes no further damage. There is also a shampoo made by the same company called Therappe.  It is wonderful

And also will help your hair get back into good shape.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ainhisg  Hi.  You may want to try Bumble and Bumble's Straight Blow Dry.  It defrizzes up to 3 days and comes in 2 sizes.  They have a website and I own a few of their products which are excellent.  They stand behind their products.   Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I want to thank everyone for the replies!  I was remiss in leaving out some information.  My hairstylist is only coloring the roots and only uses scissors.  I have been using a Pureology hydrate leave in conditioner and use an oil-based glossing polish I got at Sally's.  If flat ironing, I use a heat-protection spray first.  As this Keratin treatment is fading, I feel I need something "better" besides the oil-based glossing product I've been using from Sally's to smooth my hair more.   I will read back through the suggestions and do some research.   

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1wrote:

@Ainhisg  Hi.  You may want to try Bumble and Bumble's Straight Blow Dry.  It defrizzes up to 3 days and comes in 2 sizes.  They have a website and I own a few of their products which are excellent.  They stand behind their products.   Cat Happy

@Katcat1, this cream is what I have in mind.  I chatted with a CS rep on the B&B website, and she said Ulta or Sephora carry it and may have samples.  Ulta has an amazing return policy, so I will drop by there and see.  I asked my stylist yesterday about a product I could use, but she got distracted (as did I) and we never returned to the subject.