Valued Contributor
Good afternoon, Beauties! Has anyone ever had Fraxel treatments for sun damage, melasma and wrinkles? I'm researching it but wondered if any of you have had it done. I'm 61 and use Dysport, Retin a and had some fillers a year or so ago. I'm too chicken for a facelift, but would like to look as well as possible. Ty in advance and have a lovely weekend.
Honored Contributor

@Sawn wrote:
Good afternoon, Beauties! Has anyone ever had Fraxel treatments for sun damage, melasma and wrinkles? I'm researching it but wondered if any of you have had it done. I'm 61 and use Dysport, Retin a and had some fillers a year or so ago. I'm too chicken for a facelift, but would like to look as well as possible. Ty in advance and have a lovely weekend.

I would like to do that

Honored Contributor

My brother had it done for acne scaring, it is costly and painful

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@Sawn wrote:

@Sawn. I have not had that laser treatment, but did go to my derm for an explanation and consultation....$1200 for each session & 3 sessions (6 wks.) apart are suggested. Expect redness, maybe swelling and then must stay out of sun (even w/ high SPF) because after the skin peels a little, it’s more sensitive to the sun. Note: there are various levels of fraxels. To benefit and see age spots and blotchiness disappear and “damage” the surface of skin enough to induce collagen production underneath, she suggested stronger lasers. Anything that just barely fades spots, can be done w/ a cream.

Result of consult? Scared me off when I heard about all the redness, possibility of hyperpigmatation, etc. No way. Just stay w/ my tried & true skincare.

Respected Contributor

Re: Fraxel Lasers?

[ Edited ]

I suggest you talk to a dermatologist. There are many lasers available now that have little to no downtime. 

I've had Fraxel done with the less invasive one. I believe Fraxel Restore. The redness lasted maybe 2-3 days and there was no peeling. In 4 to 5 days, I was back to normal but had a radiant glow and my skin looked much smoother. I was very pleasantly surprised at how much it improved my skin in just one session. 

If you go to a board certified dermatologist that is well versed in laser treatments you will be in good hands. Through research, I found that many negative results arise when patients don't follow directions. A fellow student I know had laser done and went out the same day with a ton of sunscreen to school and to see a movie. She looked like a crazy person. She was supposed to stay home recuperating. I noticed later that her result was not that great since the sun had already damaged the new skin forming underneath.

If you go to a good doctor and follow the directions, you will be fine. Nothing will change your skin for the better like laser, microneedling and other treatments. No cream alone will ever be able to take the place of a laser that is able to treat the deeper layers of your skin to repair loss of collagen, firmness and elasticity.

Lasers that treat sunspots and melasma are less invasive and the downtime is very minimal. My OBGYN had laser done for her melasma and let me tell you her results were nothing short of amazing. She was like a new person. 

~Live with Intention~
Respected Contributor

When I wwnt for my very first micro-peel, a woman came out of one of the rooms to ask a question, she looed battered and had blood dripping down her neck, I was immediately told that that was not what I was having done! The look on my face must have been sheer terror! I asked what it was and was told about the Fraxel thing. 

After that day I swore, no-way! I cannot unsee it to this day!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

Have spoken w/derm-Fraxel very $$$ and I have moderate/severe melasma.

I have been using Triluma for the passt 10 weeks w/some fading. You must be religious about sunblock daily.

DH would have kittens if I spent 5G on Fraxel; I'm too chicken for a deep TCA or microderm.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jacie wrote:

When I wwnt for my very first micro-peel, a woman came out of one of the rooms to ask a question, she looed battered and had blood dripping down her neck, I was immediately told that that was not what I was having done! The look on my face must have been sheer terror! I asked what it was and was told about the Fraxel thing. 

After that day I swore, no-way! I cannot unsee it to this day!

I have never seen this. I'm not sure what she had done but it doesn't sound correct. You're supposed to only have areas of pin-point bleeding with laser not dripping. The laser itself stops the bleeding. They place an ice pack and then an ointment like Aquaphor. It depends on the laser. It could be that you saw some blood on the Aquaphor that looked like it was more than it was.  

~Live with Intention~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@maestra wrote:

Have spoken w/derm-Fraxel very $$$ and I have moderate/severe melasma.

I have been using Triluma for the passt 10 weeks w/some fading. You must be religious about sunblock daily.

DH would have kittens if I spent 5G on Fraxel; I'm too chicken for a deep TCA or microderm.

I understand about the cost. However, even though I've only been married 5 years, I learned that my husband doesn't have at times the same level of understanding of what matters to me. I learned to push for the things I need to do that will make me happy and in turn make us both happy. If your melasma is a result of having children IMO you more than deserve to have the treatment. I've seen amazing results for melasma from laser as mentioned earlier. Lasers are safer than a deep TCA peel. 

~Live with Intention~
Valued Contributor

Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate each one of you taking time to respond. I need to do more research, because I'm thinking I would need two different types, one for melasma and sun damage and perhaps a different one for possible skin tightening and wrinkles.