Esteemed Contributor

Re: Fragrances that you don't like

@lulu2 wrote:

I'm not fond of anything heavy or spicy.  Many of the ones I dislike are listed.  The all time worst for me is EL Youth Dew, followed closely by Flowerbomb.

@lulu2  Yes, Youth Dew!!!  Who would associate that smell with youth???  Maybe it was opposite day when they named that fragrance...or EL endorsed drug use in their board rooms...one or the other.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Valued Contributor

Anything with musk in it gives me a migraine.  I also cannot stand Chanel No 5 or Falling in Love, Tova,  or Baby Grace. I have no idea if they have musk in them.

I used to like Amazing Grace and Pure Grace, but no longer.

Years agp a woman came to my office wearing Georgio, and I swear she took a bath in it. Gave me such a migraine, I suffered for 2 days.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Super Contributor

TexasMouse,

Try Beekmans 1802 goat milk products.  They sell on E v i n e and the unscented lotion is awesome.  I do like many of their other scents, and they feel wonderful.  You would be surprised.  Their soaps are totally awesome, but wait for a sample set to try a bunch of them at the lowest price.  Such a wonderful product line!

Respected Contributor

@SuziQ2 wrote:

TexasMouse,

Try Beekmans 1802 goat milk products.  They sell on E v i n e and the unscented lotion is awesome.  I do like many of their other scents, and they feel wonderful.  You would be surprised.  Their soaps are totally awesome, but wait for a sample set to try a bunch of them at the lowest price.  Such a wonderful product line!

@SuziQ2

Thanks for suggesting Beekmans but I have been trying to stick with products that have fewer ingredients and that have goat milk closer to the top of the list. Also, I like supporting small family-run businesses where I can so I order goat milk products from places like Goat Milk Stuff, Bend Soap, Horse O` Peace Ranch, The Goat Milk Soap Store and Cross Timbers Farm (the latter is located in Oklahoma and offers free shipping on everything - I get my goat milk laundry detergent from them). All of these vendors sell their products at much more reasonable prices than Beekmans and I've loved everything I've bought from them with the exception of that unscented lotion. Now if they could only make it fragrance-free, that would be great!

Super Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

I'm not fond of anything heavy or spicy.  Many of the ones I dislike are listed.  The all time worst for me is EL Youth Dew, followed closely by Flowerbomb.

I broke a sample of Youth Dew when I was a kid. It was in a desk in my room (no idea how I did this) and the smell wouldn't dissipate. Needless to say, I've had my fill of Youth Dew and can't stand it!! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Chanel No. 5 and White Shoulders come to mind. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

My daughters and I HATE any fragrance that has any odor of vanilla in it.

Also I only like (of the Philosophy brand), Amazing Grace.  The other one's make me go blah.

Esteemed Contributor

Back in my early 20's, I attended a beauty seminar and in one part, all participants took a written personality test (multiple choice type) that supposedly determined what type of fragrance we preferred and should wear.   My test results showed that I should wear "woodsy mossy" fragrances.  At the time I was rotating "Woodhue" and Avon's "Brochade" -- you don't get more woodsy than that!

Over time I've come to prefer the clean air, light linen type of fragrances, but still outdoorsy fresh.  I wonder... if our personality changes over time......... or just "age" in general ....... do our fragrance preferences change too?    Some of the fragrances I loved in my younger days repel me now, even tho I always disliked Chanel No. 5 and Youth Dew because they're too heavy.

@Texasmouse- yes, I agree - when I smell anyone wearing a lemony fragrance, I think of Lemon Pledge! 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Valued Contributor

Estee Lauder Knowing. I never tried this personally, but years ago when it first came out, this elderly lady, a soprano, who sat and stood right next to me in choir decided to take it on as her signature fragrance. She just absolutely bathed herself in it. I couldn't draw a deep breath (sort of a requirement when you sing) without choking. I told her it was bothering me and she got all huffy. In a couple of weeks, when I realized she wasn't going to stop wearing it and seemed to be saturating herself with it even more, I went to the choir director and just flat out told him, either her perfume goes or I go. He made a general announcement to the choir that fragrance was forbidden from then on because of allergies. I guess Knowing lady figured I ratted her out and she never spoke to me again - she only glared.

Honored Contributor

Perfumes that I can't tolerate are Angel and Shalimar. Both smell like musty cigarette smoke. Whew!! I don't care for lavender or rose scented anything. Clinique Happy smells like bug spray to me.

I like Philosophy fragrances because they don't seem to bloom on a person. Falling In Love and Amazing Grace are nice, along with Fresh Cream.