Respected Contributor

Re: Fragrances that you don't like

I don't like Philosophy's Fresh Cream because  I don't  want to smell like food all day and  I don't like Clinique's  Happy, it's to strong for me. I like clean smelling and  soft floral scents

Trusted Contributor

Shalimar or anything heavy. I also don’t care for sweet,sugary scents. 

Honored Contributor

All floral scents.

Honored Contributor

I cannot stand vanilla -- Philosophy's Fresh Cream is no good for me; I don't want to smell like cookies (which is the comment I got all day long when I tried it).  For me, vanilla needs to be layered in such a way that it is not detected as such, but only serves to enhance the other scents in the mix. If I actually smell vanilla, I'm not with it.

I don't like fruity or candy [peppermint] scents either. 

Respected Contributor

A few years ago I was in the Yankee Candle Factory store in Massachusetts and they were introducing a new scent , Bacon.  Well who doesn't like the scent of cooked bacon.

There were lots of us gathered around the display and lots of "yuck" comments at the horrible odor of those candles.

A sales person walked over to ask what we thought.  No one liked the scent.  She said that was pretty much everyone's opinion.  I don't know what became of bacon scented candles, but the good smell of real bacon was not possible to duplicate in the candles.

By the way, if you find yourself in the Deerfield area of Mass., don't miss this store.  You will need 4 or 5 hours to see most everything.  The have candles, decor, food, stationary, clothing, garden, etc.   it is huge!

Esteemed Contributor

I remember my mom gave me a bottle of Jontue decades ago and I thought it smelled like wet dog hair.  Tossed it.   

Food fragrances are OK in the kitchen, but not on a person.  I don't like fruity, citrus, lemon, vanilla, spicy, pumpkin (especially!).   If you like your pumpkin fragrances in the fall, please don't get in the same elevator with me!  

I don't wear colognes any more - I slather myself with a scented body lotion after my shower and my skin smells good all day, but there's no fragrance in the air around me.  My body fragrance doesn't enter a room before I do.  Wink wink....

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

J'adore gave me a huge headache, DH bought it for me one year and he had to return it, the other Dior scents are much lighter

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

Too many to mention.  Hate more than I like.  Tova comes to mind - strong, just bad.  Patchouli is horrid.

It is such a personal thing, isn't it?

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

I am a fragrance fanatic and love fragrances, however I do not care for the Rose scent at all, so I guess anything with a Rose scent I would never purchase.........

Honored Contributor

The majority of fragrances give me a headache. I only wear 2 scents that I interchange and for years I only wore one scent. Chanel introduced a few years ago Le Premier, a very subtle version of Chanel #5 and I wear it sometimes. I am not someone, though, who is particularly fond of fragrances. I replaced my half full bottle of Chanel Le Premier recently because it changed....I had it too long.