Super Contributor

Re: Fragrances that you don't like

My Mom used to wear Chanel No. 19 when I was a kid and I loved it back then. I've tried to wear it since then and it smells like bug spray on me. I'm not sure if it's just me or Chanel changed something about (or it's some sort of weird commentary on my relationship with my Mom Smiley Very Happy)

Esteemed Contributor

Patchouli. 

Heavy scents, like Cinnabar (does anyone remember that?  Estee Lauder made it, and it was disgusting).  There is at least one Chanel fragrance that smells like dog cologne to me (like when your dog comes home from the groomer), but I'm not sure which one it is.  Don't like that either.

I usually don't like fragrances that list amber as one of the main notes, but there is a new one out by Michael Kors that I smelled a sample of, and that smelled pretty good.

I've noticed that if a scent has orchid listed in it, it often has an after-scent to it that smells almost rubbery.  Can't really explain it, but that's another note that is often a miss for me.

Gardenia and jasmine can be hard to do well, as they often wind up smelling like gas station bathroom air freshener if not done right. 

There are also notes I have to be in the mood for, like lavender.  And I used to love rose scents, but I think I overdosed on rose at some point, because I don't want to smell them anymore.

I don't care for pine-scented candles around the holiday either.  Doesn't smell fresh to me.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Valued Contributor

My son and daughter-in-law got me the largest size of La Vie est Belle.  Unfortunately, I do not like this fragrance but I don't want to hurt their feelings since I'm sure they paid a lot for it.  There it sits on my vanity....

Respected Contributor

Anything by Philosophy, Nest and that Irish one Inis. Don't care for Clinique's fragrances either.
Honored Contributor

Most all of them. 

I just can't tolerate fragrance on the body for more than a few minutes, be it lotion, or a soap, or a perfume. 

I get a headache and it bothers my sinuses, so I wear no fragrance, and can't be around others who have it on heavily for very long either.

Respected Contributor

I feel for those ladies who can't tolerate fragrance at all because to me, a fragrance you enjoy is one of life's little pleasures. When I use a fragrance-free lotion, for example, I feel like I'm missing out on part of the "pampering" experience because I'm only getting the feel of the product without experiencing a pleasant smell to go along with it. 

Right now, I have a bottle of unscented goat milk lotion on my nightstand that I put on my hands before going to bed. It's unscented but not fragrance-free and although it has wonderful ingredients in it, it's not pleasant to use because it smells just awful. When I use a lotion that has a pleasant fragrance, it makes going to bed  that much nicer because you're getting to experience that fragrance as you drift off to sleep.

And speaking of relating fragrances to bug spray or other mundane products, I was burning a wax melt in a lemon verbena fragrance one day and DH walked in and said, "It smells like Pledge in here." I don't quite get the same pleasure out of burning that fragrance anymore. LOL

Trusted Contributor

Husband is extremely sensitive to fragrance in any form.  He thought White Linen smelled like rubbing alcohol.  Most of the other colognes smell like bug spray to him and bathroom air fresheners bring the question "are you spraying for bugs?"  Obviously a common occurrence or it used to be.  I have given up pretty much with fragrance.  Do use bath and shower gels and body lotions and cremes.

Honored Contributor

Thumbs down for most Juicy Couture perfumes.

Honored Contributor

I'm not fond of anything heavy or spicy.  Many of the ones I dislike are listed.  The all time worst for me is EL Youth Dew, followed closely by Flowerbomb.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Thumbs down for most Juicy Couture perfumes.

...and the pants that say "Juicy" along the backside...  Ugh.

@SilleeMee

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org