Honored Contributor

Re: Fragrance -- prices are atrocious!

@Leeny 

I know!  I had a couple older fragrances that I really liked but the prices on those are untouchable for me now!  There is a strip mall not far from me which I have not visited in eons.  They used to have a discount fragrance and makeup shop there -- it might not still be there.  But I might go and see if it's still there.  They used to have a lot of nice things and price were substantially lower! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 

I figure that newer perfumes are much higher.  But when I was looking I saw a lot of older ones that were still really high.  So, I don't know how they figure this out.  Maybe perfumes which are still very high profile and popular, they keep the prices higher?

Honored Contributor

Thank you, everyon, for your thoughts and tips on this subject!  Unfortunately, I guess this is just another thing which has increased exorbitantly - the same as about everything else today!  I have a few ideas now and I do have some time yet to get the gift so I'm not too worried - yet!  

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN 

I used to get all these fashion magazines -- well, most of them are out of business now -- but they would have all these paper samples in them -- and then I would think --- I have to go the department stores and try them out and buy the newest ones!  That got really expensive!  Luckily, I came to my senses after a bit and started going to Marshall's and buying on line.  

@AngelPuppy1 I used to do that too, or else I would smell something on someone else that I loved, and I would buy it, only to find out it didn't smell the same on me.That also got to be so expensive, so now when I think I like a prefume, I always get a sample or two of it to try out before buying! Just to see how it meshes with my own body chemistry!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

Maybe there will be gift sets on sale for Mother’s Day?
Respected Contributor

@781Florist  I know what you mean, about favorites being discontinued. In my 20's and 30's I wore Arpege by Lanvin.

In later years, I wore L'Interdit by Givenchy and was disappointed when that was discontinued. In recent years,

L'Interdit was reintroduced, but it's not the same. It is most likely

made with synthetic components.

When I found that L'Interdit was discontinued, I searched ebay

and I scored two bottles of the original. The price was high, but I didn't care.

Discontinuing makeup products is a big issue. Of course

companies want to bring out new colors, but it is very frustrating when a favorite color of lipstick or nailpolish is

discontinued. Then we have to search for something similar.

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

I think I know what kind of stores you are referring to with the good discounts on fragrances & makeup. I use to shop at those a few years back. I hope you can get out and check to see if they are still in business. Times and prices sure have changed through the years.

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Leeny 

I know!  I had a couple older fragrances that I really liked but the prices on those are untouchable for me now!  There is a strip mall not far from me which I have not visited in eons.  They used to have a discount fragrance and makeup shop there -- it might not still be there.  But I might go and see if it's still there.  They used to have a lot of nice things and price were substantially lower! 

Respected Contributor

@Enufstuff 

You have said it all. I feel the same way. I use to wear My Sin by Lanvin. They brought it back just to disappoint. Then a very good friend introduced me to L'Interdit by Givenchy and I know that story too. They must think we are dumb or something to not notice the incredibly huge difference in the older version and the new.. 

Make up....mmm Revlon made a color of lipstick and nail polish that I just loved. It was called Windsor and they have never brought it back or nothing even similar. I guess when you find something you really like, you best stock up. 

I did find a nail color by OPI  that I really liked too and of course it was discontinued. I found one on EBay and they were asking like $75.00 for it.. No thank you!!

@Enufstuff wrote:

@781Florist  I know what you mean, about favorites being discontinued. In my 20's and 30's I wore Arpege by Lanvin.

In later years, I wore L'Interdit by Givenchy and was disappointed when that was discontinued. In recent years,

L'Interdit was reintroduced, but it's not the same. It is most likely

made with synthetic components.

When I found that L'Interdit was discontinued, I searched ebay

and I scored two bottles of the original. The price was high, but I didn't care.

Discontinuing makeup products is a big issue. Of course

companies want to bring out new colors, but it is very frustrating when a favorite color of lipstick or nailpolish is

discontinued. Then we have to search for something similar.

Honored Contributor

I wanted to try that Maison Francis Kurkdjian Baccarat Rouge that I keep hearing so much about. Then I saw the price and there is no way I'm spending $325.00 for a fragrance.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Leeny  Like you, I had a favorite lipstick years ago. Mine was

Bewitched by Lancome. For years, I tried many brands, trying to

find something close. I never found what I was looking for.

Back in the 60's, I sold Avon products and discontinuing

colors of lipstick was the most common complaint.

Now we do have ebay, but any discontinued product could bring a large price. My favorite Crabtree & Evelyn handcream in Summer Hill as well as other  Summer Hill items was discontinued when the company was sold. I did find some on ebay as soon as I found out about the change, so the price was

not too bad.

With fragrances, if anything is still made with flowers and other natural sources, the cost will be high. I believe that most fragrances that we find in department stores today, are made with synthetic ingredients. They are not inexpensive either.

I find that a lot of the newer eau de toilette fragrances don't last as long as the older ones, as they are worn. Of course

perfume will last longer and will cost more accordingly. Just this morning, I sprayed just one little spray of the old L'Interdit

eau de toilette on each wrist and I can still smell it 8 hours later. I never bought the new version, it is just not the same with cheaper synthetic ingredients.

A little trivia about L'Interdit. You may already know, that it was created in the 50's by Givenchy, for actress Audrey Hepburn.