Esteemed Contributor

Fragrance Free vs Unscented

[ Edited ]

I know many here have no confusion over the terms unscented and fragrance free, but I still see them used incorrectly in some posts and critical product reviews.

An unscented product has nothing added just to add a fragrance, but does have a chemical masking agent added to 'hide' the scent of the ingredients from our brain.

A fragrance free product hasn't had anything added just for the purpose of adding fragrance, but you will smell the product's ingredients.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Fragrance Free vs Unscented

Great info,thanks, I did not know that,

Honored Contributor

That is really interesting.

The other day I was using a "fragrance free" lotion and wondered why it still smelled.

Now I know why!

Thanks for sharing that @x Hedge!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I was not happy when Eucerin went to Fragrance free as I like a bit of scent in my body lotion, 

won't rebuy 

Honored Contributor

@x Hedgewrote:

I just wanted to point out the difference between fragrance free and unscented. Unfortunately, I see the two terms used interchangeably here, which is not correct.

I know many here have no confusion over these two terms, but I still see them used incorrectly in posts and critical product reviews.

An unscented product has nothing added just for fragrance, but does have a masking agent added to 'hide' the scent from our brain.

A fragrance free product hasn't had anything added just for the purpose of adding fragrance, but you will smell the ingredients.

@x Hedge, just curious and it may sound silly, but can we all count on companies abiding by this difference? And I wonder what these masking agents are if they are not fragrances.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I have a tube of Wellskin Glaxal Base moisturizing cream that says it's perfume free but it definitely has a chemical scent, most likely from the preservative ingredient is my guess. I wish it didn't have a scent though and I wouldn't have bought it had I known that it was scented. I assumed that it was unscented. The product worked well on my face this past month when my skin was dry from the dry winter environment as I was flaking badly but it would have been better had there been a masking fragrance of some kind.

Here is a photo from Pinterest of the jar of the same product so you can see the label. I bought this in Canada.

Image result for wellskin glaxal base pinterest

Regular Contributor

Allergy testing revealed the ingredients to which I am allergic -- fragrance being one of them.  My derm explained the difference between fragrance-free and unscented to me.  She said to only use the products that are fragrance-free as unscented ones contain a masking agent.

Years ago, prior to my allergy testing, I asked a Prescriptives counter manager what the main differences between Prescriptives and Clinique products were as both lines were owned by Estee Lauder.  She said Prescriptives products were fragrance-free and Clinique products were unscented (masking agent).  I don't know if that's currently the case.