Honored Contributor

Re: Fox News Cable Women's makeup

I don't think many of us here have the know how and tools that professional makeup artists have in their arsenal.  It makes all the difference.  The other part of this equation is lighting (like I mentioned above).  Side lighting is THE most flattering....

From

http://www.youbeauty.com/beauty/the-best-lighting-for-makeup/

Have you ever headed out into the day feeling completely self-assured, only to cringe later when you glance in the mirror and catch an obvious foundation streak or zit you totally missed covering up?

The problem may not be your makeup skills—it could be the lighting in your bathroom. We’ve asked top interior experts how to get the perfect illumination to see and apply your makeup so you can walk out that door confidently.

Cross illumination is key in bathrooms.

Referred to as side lighting, picture a pair of fixtures ideally mounted 36 inches apart and 18 inches from the centerline of the sink, says architectural lighting designer Randall Whitehead. Look for sconces, pendants or mirrors with backlit sections of frosted glass. The most luminous part should be mounted at eye level—about 5’6” off the floor—and if two people sharing the mirror have a height difference, a good solution is a long vertical design. Adding a center ceiling piece will complement the vanity lighting. Beware of lights fixed only above the mirror which illuminates your forehead and makes you tilt your head too far up to apply makeup with precision, warns Whitehead.

Recessed down lighting is the worst!

“Remember when you would hold a flashlight under your face at Halloween? It’s like holding that flashlight over the top of your head—it’s just as frightening!” says Whitehead. This lighting setup that is common in elevators seeks out wrinkles, pigmentation and shadows under the eyes, making you look 10 years older instantly. So the next time you look in an elevator mirror and gasp—it’s not you, it’s the lighting.

---------------------------------------------------------------

DON’T use lights that illuminate the area solely from overhead, as “shadows created in wrinkles, eye sockets and under the chin are counter-productive to makeup application,” explains Roush.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And one last article (altho there are 1000s on the subject)

CAN YOU SPOT WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS BATHROOMN

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/can-you-spot-whats-wrong-with-this-bathroom-195869

Valued Contributor

I personally find the FOX "reporters" to look unprofessional as journalists and more like ex pageant entrants, reality star wannabes or former cocktail waitresses or hostesses looking for a big break in LA.  Just my opinion.

Respected Contributor

You are not going to find an accumulation of this many smart good looking women in the news business.  I agree "some" of it has to do with lighting, but let's face it.  They are just dang nice looking and, most of the time, well mannered.  With that said, I'm trying to tune out of the news right now.  It's all driving me crazy.  I've wimped out.  LOL

Trusted Contributor

Makeup for television cameras or professional photographs is quite different from real life makeup.  If you saw one of them in person, their makeup would look heavy and caked on.  But for the tv cameras, it looks good.

Regular Contributor

I want to thank everyone for leaving their thoughts.....I got quite a kick out of them. I would like to add for those who don't remember or don't know I am a retired makeup artist. Even with my training and doing makeup in theater I never quite got that look. I know lights play a big part and so does HD cameras and HD TV. I was just wondering if it was tons of air-brushing since that was one aspect of applying makeup I never used.

I am 69 and am always taken for being alot younger....several times I have been taken as my Grandchildren's mother, LOL.,so I do know how to apply my makeup but I agree completely with everyone with how you look in your own mirror versus some other mirror. Thanks for the tip on the IT CC foundation...I will take a look at it.. 

Once again thanks for your replies. I really enjoyed them.

However, about the way these ladies dress,well that's another story, LOL!!!

Marcee46

Respected Contributor

It's stage makeup as you are alluding to--and it's not really do-able at home. One of our guys (a pale redhead) went to do a company wide broadcast in the home office studio and he was remarking about how much makeup he was wearing (thicker than pancake foundation.) He looked absolutely like himself, you couldn't tell he had on inches of makeup. So it's an illusion that the experts know how to create. 

Super Contributor

Whie she is not on Fox News, Dominique Sasche has a youtube channel and she is a news anchor.  She frequently posts makeup tutorials:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ONUrtjQR-w

I agree with another poster that IT Cosmetics CC cream is the best foundation.  I am 67 and it works great for me.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@corita wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

Makeup is one thing-those really short skirts on their show "Outnumbered" is quite another........

-----------------------------

I agree...somebody has got to teach those ladies how to sit correctly when wearing short skirts!!  Don't they have monitors in front?? Or at least camera people who can notify them that the viewing public can see up to their  cr**ch!!

It's done intentionally.  Even here locally for just what is called the news, the executives send out the memos to keep the viewers interested.  Dresses must be form fitting, and showing as much as can be allowed to draw in the viewers.  It's an executive decision - not the the actual ladies themselves.  Lately the plunging necklines and obvious 'bumps' are coming into the picture.   What folks won't do to get a paycheck. 

As for the make-up - it's the lighting. Always has been.  The cosmetics only do so much. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece To the knee, skirts. That's what I'd like to see. Let them look like ladies instead of, well, you know.

Frequent Contributor

The HDTV cameras they use can be specially set up to complement skin tones and reduce harsh images, individual anchors such as Ms.Kelly have their very own settings to make them look the best.  A HD camera and studio lighting can be manipulated in many ways with magical results. Bill O.Reilly is an example of someone who benefits from the special set up that takes years off of his looks.  Note how he looks when he is away from his desk in NY.

On another note... I notice that the women wear mostly solid color dresses in highly saturated colors that look great on camera.  Dresses they may not necessarily wear away from the set.  Patterned and clothes with prints don't work as well.

The set I like best is the CBS morning show. I love Gayle and what she wears.  She is not afraid to show her arms, and I thick she is most attractive even though she is not stick thin like most female anchors.  I am biased though, I worked at a CBS affiliate station for many years.