Super Contributor

Foundations WITH yellow undertones

I've seen countless threads here about too many foundations having yellow undertones, but I believe it's actually what I need.  I've been to Sephora and Ulta to be color matched, more than once.  I always like what they pick but when I use it at home it always ends up too pink.  My face looks pink while my neck is still olive/yellow.  I've changed out all the other products I use to make sure it wasn't them.  

Can anyone recommend a foundation that might work for me?  I prefer affordable drugstore, but I'm willing to try higher end just to find a color that works.

I have fairly normal skin, borderline dry.  Some lines and aging, but overall not bad.  I'd say my overall skin tone is fair to olive.  I can get sunburned but turn tan after, not that I let that happen anymore.

TIA for any help Smiley Happy

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Respected Contributor

Re: Foundations WITH yellow undertones

@Catlady Nicole wrote:

I've seen countless threads here about too many foundations having yellow undertones, but I believe it's actually what I need.  I've been to Sephora and Ulta to be color matched, more than once.  I always like what they pick but when I use it at home it always ends up too pink.  My face looks pink while my neck is still olive/yellow.  I've changed out all the other products I use to make sure it wasn't them.  

Can anyone recommend a foundation that might work for me?  I prefer affordable drugstore, but I'm willing to try higher end just to find a color that works.

I have fairly normal skin, borderline dry.  Some lines and aging, but overall not bad.  I'd say my overall skin tone is fair to olive.  I can get sunburned but turn tan after, not that I let that happen anymore.

TIA for any help Smiley Happy

I have the same coloring  as you, but as I I age it is becoming more sallow.  I've almost given up on finding something that works for me!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Catlady Nicole   @HiLo   Foundations are quite difficult to match. Finding one that works is a blessing for the rest of your makeup, but then you're lucky if not discontinued.

The issue of yellow based foundations is to to counteract the redness in most women's complexions around the nose and center of the face. A trick is to use a lighter coverage foundation and begin applying in the center of the face and work the product outwards. You'll use much less and the look is more natural.

More and more lines are introducing skin tints, tinted moisturizers, etc. The idea after applying these is to use concealers to only cover areas of concern. This newer trend is perfect for those with difficulty finding foundation that will work.

Obviously, cosmetic lines are following the less is more trend. No one has perfect, all one shade skin. Medium to light coverage is best and lets your true skin tone show through.

Respected Contributor

@Catlady Nicole  Try IT.  Everything they have is yellow.  I really wanted to try this line and tried to get a match and even the person at Sephora told me not to bother.  They only have makeup for those with yellow bases.  

Honored Contributor

For drugstore, try No7.  From the shopping channels, most any brand, but I liked iT CC and Doll 10 Hydragel the best but both were too yellow on me.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tarte always ran too yellow on me.  I gave up trying.

Respected Contributor

@Catlady Nicole First your opinion is more important than anyone at a counter. If you don't like what they thing looks good, speak up & tell them what you are seeing. It's easy to see the difference in colors/tones on your skin if you do a swatch that starts on your face/jaw & goes down to your neck. Look at it in good light. Does your face have surface pink that they are matching to? 

Your neck may be a different tone than your face & if you have a foundation with full coverage on your face & it doesn't match the tone of your neck it is going to be very noticable.

Lighter coverage foundations are more forgiving, but you still need to find something close to your skintone.

You can go to Ulta & do swatches of foundations on your jaw & see what looks best to you. You will see that some are obviously too yellow or peach. Some will be more neutral. 

An MA is a good source to try things because they have a wide range of shades available, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they will be great at matching your skin. Everyone's eye sees things differently.

Don't give up! Go swatch some foundations or go to a counter & ask for help.

You just be the final word about what you think looks best & works for you.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you all for the input!  

@HiLo it sure can be frustrating.  I've also noticed my skin tone and colors have changed through the years.  Just when I think I've got my match, poof, a shift in my skin!

@Shanus you're right, I do have some redness in my checks.  At least I know I am applying properly, as I do start in the center and blend out.  Perhaps I should look at some lighter formulations.

@brandiwine funny thing is I used IT years ago, forgot why I stoped, maybe price.  I'm going to see if I can get a few swatches at Ulta or Sephora.

@Icegoddess I had not considered No. 7, I'll give it a look, thanks for the rec!

@JeanLouiseFinch I tried a couple different Tarte foundations and never loved the consistency.  Not that I've tried them all, but my inital impression was mediocre.  I do love Shape Tape concealer though....

@Dusty1 you're absolutely right.  I do think I have surface pink.  Whatever shade I'm "matched" to in stores looks great, in there, but I guess the lighting in those stores is not "real life", or even close!  At home, in my mirror with natual light, I see a pink face on a yellow/olive neck!  I am going to keep trying, one of these days it's gotta work out!

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Respected Contributor

@Catlady Nicole That is the advantage to going to Sephora or a counter. You can get advice but hopefully, you can also take home a sample of a couple types or colors to try in your own lighting.

If you don't have problems with breakouts or reactions to foundations, go to Walmart & choose a foundation or 2 to try at home.

It may give you a better idea of what you are looking for.

You can also get some help here or on Makeup Alley for color recommendations.

Are you very fair, fair, light, medium or dark skinned.

What foundation do you have, color name & brand, that look too pink on you?

Those are good starting points to get some feedback with.

That is one reason that I love when people know their Mac foundation color match or close match.

If someone says that they are Mac NW20, you know that they are light skinned with a peach tone. NC20, they are the same light skin tone, but with yellow tones to their skin.

If they say that they have Mac NC35, but the color or depth of color is wrong it's easier to work around with that to get a better match. 

If they say they are Mac NW50, but want to try a different brand of foundation there are charts on sites like temptalia to match that, or people on the forums that may be able to say what works for them.

I like Mac foundation & if it's possible for you to go a counter & ask for a match & a sample to try you may not love the foundation, but you may get a color to help you get matched in other foundations.

Or you may find one you love at the Mac counter!

Trusted Contributor

Have you tried any of the IT Cosmetics foundations?  I can't use this line because it's too yellow for me.