Honored Contributor

Re: Foundations WITH yellow undertones

IT foundation is way too yellow for me--I am a warm light-- - I went to Ulta and had the woman there tell me what color I should be wearing an they matched the color to my neck skin---

Honored Contributor

@Catlady Nicole   Did you ever think about selecting a Neutral?  Yellow based foundations -- Tarte, Nars that I can think of off the top of my head.  I can't wear either because I am a cool pink.  Tarte is very yellow and Nars somewhat yellow.  Bobbi Brown is known for being yellow based but they also improved their pink undertones so now I can wear Bobbi.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

Thank you all for the helpful comments and suggestions.  I realized something this weekend, and I feel a little silly for not realizing it before!  I have redness in my facial skin, I really looked in the mirror, without foundation, and it dawned on me, I'm blaming the foundation, when it's actually my skin!  Duh! 

I set off for Walmart to browse the redness reducing primers. I came home with Wet n Wild Prime Focus Glass Correct primer in green.  They didn't have any other options at my store so I started with this.  Don't ya know, used it this AM and I see a difference!  I also picked up the ELF Camo CC Cream in light.  I like the formula, just a little learning curve on how much to apply.  I'll get it right soon.  

I'll be able to visit Sephora and Ulta later this week to see more options, if I find anything truly impressive I'll report back.  

I hope the others who posted here about having trouble finding foundation matches consider giving a correcting primer a try.  I think it's the ticket I was looking for!

Thanks again, and have a great day Smiley Happy

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Esteemed Contributor

@Catlady Nicole wrote:

I've seen countless threads here about too many foundations having yellow undertones, but I believe it's actually what I need.  I've been to Sephora and Ulta to be color matched, more than once.  I always like what they pick but when I use it at home it always ends up too pink.  My face looks pink while my neck is still olive/yellow.  I've changed out all the other products I use to make sure it wasn't them.  

Can anyone recommend a foundation that might work for me?  I prefer affordable drugstore, but I'm willing to try higher end just to find a color that works.

I have fairly normal skin, borderline dry.  Some lines and aging, but overall not bad.  I'd say my overall skin tone is fair to olive.  I can get sunburned but turn tan after, not that I let that happen anymore.

TIA for any help Smiley Happy

yellow/golden undertones mean warm undertones.  You can't just pick out a foundation based on it's undertone.  Most foundations have a variety of colors that help people determine if they're complexiion is cool, warm or neutral.  Then a color either has these benefits for your undertone or not. 

You should do a quick google search about "undertones" and learn how to match yours with a few questions you might be asked.  For instance, if the veins in your arm are blue/purple looking you might be one undertone.  Or if the veins in your arms near wrists and hands is another, you might be neutral or a cool undertone.

If you have any makeup right now (no matter which brand) go to Sephora and use their matching program.  They will match possible foundations based on your selections.  Otherwise, you might be better off getting matched at the store.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

@Catlady Nicole Let us know what you find out when you go shopping.

The less coverage that you need, the more forgiving the foundation is.

The more coverage you want, the foundation has to match your neck or it will look like you are wearing a mask.

I hope you find someone good to help at a store or counter.